Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pulled into a parking lot, saw huge snow piles. decided to have some fun and drive over a few. drove over the side of one, snow about a foot or two deep, heard sound like i was driving over rocks. scraping whole underside of FJ...got out and saw no damage as far as i can see, but its too snowy and dark to tell. anyway i walked back to the place i drove over and there were a bunch of large large jagged blocks of ice that my FJ drove over. they basically ran along the whole underside of the truck, i could hear it.

my question is...could this do any damage? is ice hard enough? are FJs built to withstand that type of thing? they climb rocks so ice should be ok right? i noticed some parts of the suspension is exposed on the FJ as well as some type of metal pipe under the passenger side normally, could ice damage any of these things or am i underestimating how tough these FJs are built? thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
You are not underestimating the FJ. Ice can do the same damage as rocks.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i was going about 5mph...

if i bring it to the dealer to take a look, could they tell if i did anything? otherwise how would i know? anybody think im over reacting?

·
Titanium Pearl
890 Posts
get on the ground and look underneath. See if anything is hanging loose or if anything is dented badly. Don't waste your money @ the dealer unless you really know somethings wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Yes, large ice banks formed from Snow plows, if packed and frozen solid are just like boulders! If you did any significant damage you will be able to crawl under & clearly see it from what you described. At that Speed and I assume you have factory Skids? I dont think you would have hurt anything...

Be wary of Snow banks unless you know the area they are in.. Not only can they Hide Ice packs, but tree stumps, post, rocks, trash cans... I lived up north for 27 years, I learned the hard way....:lol:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Haha I tore the front bumper off my old Civic on a harmless looking snowbank... What a tard.

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
Be wary of Snow banks unless you know the area they are in.. Not only can they Hide Ice packs, but tree stumps, post, rocks, trash cans... I lived up north for 27 years, I learned the hard way....:lol:
When I ran a snow plow, you could add shopping carts and even cars to this list. :jester:

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
When I ran a snow plow, you could add shopping carts and even cars to this list. :jester:
:rofl::rofl: worst I ever heard about was a fire hydrant. Guess some local plowing a street took one out... its stuff like this that reminds me why I moved to florida!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I know a guy who plowed his FJ through some icy water. The thick sheets of jammed up under the bumper, above the front stock skid plate destroyed the radiator, AC condenser, fan, and various other parts, doing $3000 in damage. I think it was posted on this forum somewhere.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just curious, how "beefy" are the factory skids underneath? I have the better front alum skid but everything else skid-wise is stock. When I looked around while greasing the zerks this summer they didn't look too tough, more like a glorified muffler guard.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Just curious, how "beefy" are the factory skids underneath? I have the better front alum skid but everything else skid-wise is stock. When I looked around while greasing the zerks this summer they didn't look too tough, more like a glorified muffler guard.
Oh, they'll dent up pretty good. The gauge is pretty thin and when you look at the actual mounts where they bolt up, they're small and thin. But it's better than nothing. I have a few good dents under there. By buddy's stock skids are beat to sh!t.

·
Admin
8,445 Posts
It WAS you!!!

My grandma was in that car!!!!

·
Admin
8,445 Posts

:rofl:

:cheers:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts