Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my fj has a toms system because it caused a light to turn on when my tires were low. But is there a way to add a monitor that will show me what tire is low and possibly what the pressure is. Just knowing the culprit would be enough though. I doubt this is possible but I could be wrong

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
There are aftermarket systems that can show you the exact pressure in each tire. I don't think it is possible with the stock system though. So you'd probably have to buy all new TPMS which are pricey.

What year is your FJ also? TPMS were only available from 08-on, 07s don't have it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
9 times out of 10 it's the spare tire being low that triggers the system.

I've had TPMS on several vehicles now and I've always noticed the tire going low before the TPMS light comes on. I guess it's a nice system to have for people who don't pay attention to their vehicles, but if you check your own tire pressure often it will only really pay off if you catch a big nail or screw while driving and the pressure starts to drop rapidly.

·
Registered
50 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Interesting link... from what I see:
(a) sensors are real sensors (not I/O operation only), and do transmit ID/actual PSI to onboard computer
(b) sensors are wireless

Im no electrical engineer, but if you can read the wireless RF signal, and if the RF signal is not encrypted (probably is but who knows), then you can monitor the actual psi+location based on sensor id.

But why do that when for ~$140 (probably cheaper than the above said equipment, unless you have it in the office laying around because you are an EE) you can just buy this instead. Looks like same TPMS sensors too?
Amazon.com: Orange Electronic P409S Retrofit Tire Pressure Monitoring System: Automotive

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ducky, you're the man. Somehow I missed that little beast. Wonder if anyone has used it on the FJ? I'd love to know if it'll work with the OEM sensors...or if their sensors will work with the OEM transciever...

·
Registered
13 Posts
After a friend did extensive searching, he found these to be the best, and I bought the Orange brands TPMS and put them on when I changed tires.
p409s
I forgot where I bought it. The toyota ones are either normal/low as far as I know and you can't read them out with the Orange receiver even though Orange makes OEM sensors. So you have to take out and bag up the toyota ones. None in the spare I don't think. And put these Orange ones in their place. The toyota ones look similar. They are the valve stem. This readout is cool and tells the pressure in each tire and its temperature. there is a method in the book of changing how it knows which tire is which when you rotate them. Once you take away the toyota ones from the tires, you get a little tire shaped light on the dash forever. Either live with it, or there is a thread somewhere here that tells you which two color wires to connect under the top of the dash compartment to make the light go off. The Orange ones don't seem to affect the Toyota readout and the Toyota ones don't jam the Orange ones.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts