Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m planning a trip from Tampa Florida to the Mojave trail me and my dog.
It’s a buckets list item. I have experience wheeling and have driven long distance to Moab in my 15 tacoma and wheeled and drove back to Florida 3 years in a row with no issues .
But we no longer have my taco and I’m now a proud owner of 07 special edition fj. W/ 160k miles that’s 14-15 years old

let me state I have had zero issues with this vehicle I’ve owned it 1 year.
got it from original owner and he had a amazing maintenance log from Toyota. Since I’ve owned it.
ive replaced the problematic 3rd member with a ecg replacement.
replaced both front axles from mid state off-road.
i changed all fluids
Added a
snorkel
Ironman suspension
33mt tires
Full skid set and rock sliders
Prinsu roof rack
Roof top tent
Ect ect
I feel confident in my fj and I’ve had some good experiences with my tacoma and I’ve done wheeled here in Florida no issues

Any ways my question is

1 would you attempt the drive in a 14 year old fj with 160k ?

it will be in total of 4500-5000 miles round trip..

2 would you attempt the drive and spend a few days out in Mojave exploring
3 if yes, what would you add to make you feel comfortable to do the trip?
4 anyone wanna go ? Lol

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
199 Posts
Go for it.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
I just drove my 2010 with 109K miles from Virginia down to Florida and then over to Texas...no issues! I say go for it!

·
Registered
2007 Metallic Sliver FJ, Auto, 285/70/17 BFG KO2, 3inch Bilstein OME lift SPC upper control arms.
116 Posts
Video your journey and post it to YouTube. may I also suggest replacing the PCV valve if it’s been a while. 🙂 have a safe trip.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Just remember, this time of year its going to be pretty damn hot out there!

I drove the Mojave Road back in March, when it was nice and cool. Take more water than you think you could ever possibly use!

The water crossing at the end was filled in by the railroad several months back, resulting in water just a few inches deep. When I went though it back in March it was almost to the top of my tires (stock 265/75R16 KO2's) . Judging from the amount of traffic in that area, I would expect it to be even/much deeper. Just an FYI. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Man, lifes too short! Its me and my dog (Gino) now and tired of playing things safe and not living! Go for it, what have you got to lose?

I'd take our rigs over a new Ford on this kind of trip any day and twice on Sunday! Others have steered you right, great suggestions! I will add, change your headlight bulbs! Sounds crazy but I just drove 1000 mile trip from Kentucky to Texas, those stock halogens suck a$$! I bought some new housings and used the "Sylvania Silverstar Ultra halogen bulbs" suggested by many on here. BIG DIFFERENCE!!!! I thought about going LED and Halos and whoopteedoos and then thought why? More headaches and BS. I just want to own the night 🐀
Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Car Grille
Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Grille Hood
(not blind the racoons and possums). For $200 All in, I have new clear lenses and nice bright lights. Takes all of an hour to do too!

·
Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser AT
431 Posts
Can you do it? Yes you can!
Would I do it? Man I'd love to, sounds like a dream...

Go on, plan and prepare yourself good, hit the road (or the off road) and just have fun

Don't forget to send pics and vids 😎

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I'm just now learning about this road. So is it basically a trail in the middle of the desert? 150 miles or so?

Yeah, sounds hot AF right now, but during the winter it would be ideal for me.

DOOOO IIIIIIIT!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts