Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 with the original BFG rugged trail tries and 24,500 miles on them.

I dont do alot of offroading but i want to and i want some new tires that are a little more "rugged" than these, lol.

My options are BFG AT in 265/76/16 or BFG MT 265/75/16 or BFG 255/85/75

I cant decide.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Do it now. Tires are the single biggest thing that will transform a stock FJ to something that is awesome off road. Since you don't do much off road I would do the BFG ATs in a slightly larger than stock size. They will be great off road and handle very well on road and in the rain. I wouldn't go with the MTs because they will be louder on the highway. My vote is for the ATs. I have than and love em.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Did the larger than stock BFG's dampen the gas mileage some? More rubber on the road more friction?

·
Registered
671 Posts
I didn't notice any lower mileage. If you went up to 285s I would bet the gas mileage would not be as good. The trade off is worth it IMO.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Get some 33X12.50 tires like mine. :D

Yes, they decrease your gas mileage a tad

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
If you are just looking to get into offroading, don't go with a mud terrain, IMO. Stick with an all terrain, like the 265 BFG AT.

I would only run mud terrains if I were wheeling at bare minimum 2-3 times a month or if the conditions around you typically require mud terrains (i.e. lots of mud typical on the trails). Being near L.A., i'd say that'd be a no, haha.

·
Registered
427 Posts
If you are just looking to get into offroading, don't go with a mud terrain, IMO. Stick with an all terrain, like the 265 BFG AT.

I would only run mud terrains if I were wheeling at bare minimum 2-3 times a month or if the conditions around you typically require mud terrains (i.e. lots of mud typical on the trails). Being near L.A., i'd say that'd be a no, haha.
Just out of curiosity, why do you say this? Pretty soon I am going to need new tires and I cant decide if I want the BFG at's or the Dick Cepek mud country's. I had the at's on my old Hilux I used to have and had no complaints, but I do like the looks of the Cepeks.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Road manners, noise, longevity, and driving in less than ideal on road conditions are all better with an AT tire. If you aren't off road much, there's no reason to get a MT...unless you want a mall crawler that just looks good.

You can't beat the quality of the BFGs either.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Road manners, noise, longevity, and driving in less than ideal on road conditions are all better with an AT tire. If you aren't off road much, there's no reason to get a MT...unless you want a mall crawler that just looks good.

You can't beat the quality of the BFGs either.
Pretty much summed it up.

Though i might add also,
Better mileage with ATs than MTs.
Better road handling with ATs than MTs.
Better wet road handling with ATs than MTs.
Better tire wear (tires last longer) with ATs than MTs.

Daily driving with mud terrains is a compromise of onroad ability. The ONLY way its a good balance is if you hit the trails pretty regularly.

This is not taking into account looks, because if you are buying tires based on looks then none of this technical information is relative to you anyways :lol:

·
Registered
57 Posts
What about Toyo's Open Country AT's? They are still an AT but they look like they would have less rolling resistance, providing better gas milage possibly?

·
Registered
427 Posts
This is not taking into account looks, because if you are buying tires based on looks then none of this technical information is relative to you anyways :lol:
:lol: Well I think the "biggest" part for me is the looks. I don't get offroad much and when I do its usually a trip thing for me. Been to the Summit twice (and going again this year) and also to Moab last year (and going pre summit this year). I've been out a few times with the Texas crew, but alot of times work keep's me away. Thanks for the input! :bigthumb:

One more question about the Bfg at's, whatever tire I get I am going with the 285-70-17's on the discount tire website they have two listed. One has a speed rating of Q (up to 100mph) and one has a rating of R (up to 106 mph). The R rating tire is one dollar more than the Q rating, since I obvioulsy wont be trying to drive the fj 100 mph :lol: Is there any other difference between the two? Thicker sidewall or anything like that?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why do you say this? Pretty soon I am going to need new tires and I cant decide if I want the BFG at's or the Dick Cepek mud country's. I had the at's on my old Hilux I used to have and had no complaints, but I do like the looks of the Cepeks.
LOL! Hey brother you needed them last year too! :rofl::rofl::rofl: Get you some Nitto's!

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
What about Toyo's Open Country AT's? They are still an AT but they look like they would have less rolling resistance, providing better gas milage possibly?
Some of the other major companies also make very good ATs. The OP was asking about the BFGs so that is what i was commenting on.

The Toyo AT, Nitto AT, General Grabber AT2, etc, all good tires.

In general, the more void you have between the treads on an AT, the better it will be for offroad. Smaller the void, the more of a street tire it is. In my opinion.

Hence,
a better street tire, not a great offroad tire (for the terrain i typically encounter, rocks, mud, sand)

An AT tire better suited for the type of terrain i encounter

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
One more question about the Bfg at's, whatever tire I get I am going with the 285-70-17's on the discount tire website they have two listed. One has a speed rating of Q (up to 100mph) and one has a rating of R (up to 106 mph). The R rating tire is one dollar more than the Q rating, since I obvioulsy wont be trying to drive the fj 100 mph :lol: Is there any other difference between the two? Thicker sidewall or anything like that?
You will be fine with the lower speed rated tire.

I don't know how BFG differs in the manufacturing process for tires in terms of speed ratings. But, i do know there is no difference in terms of side wall plies (their ATs and MT have a "Tri-Ply" 3 ply side wall) and the tread plies is determined by the load rating, D = 8 plies, E = 10 plies, etc.

·
Registered
427 Posts
LOL! Hey brother you needed them last year too! :rofl::rofl::rofl: Get you some Nitto's!
Im "pretty" sure that the Toyo open country at's I have are made by the same company (and basically the same tire) as the Nitto's. I could be wrong though. I think I'm leaning more to the BFG's again. :bigthumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts