Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK - I am ready to buy - except for one not so small problem - the height of my garage entrance. Toyota lists the height of the F J Cruiser at 72' (no roof rack) - but that is not correct - my dealer and I measured the roof at the highest point and it is 73". And since my garage entrance height is only 72 1/4" and with an inclined driveway entrance I will need the height of the F J Cruiser lowered by AT LEAST 1 1/2 ". No - I can not adjust the garage door. So my question is: Can the suspension of the F J Cruiser be lowered by 1 1/2"? If so, what all is involved?

·
Call me Pickles
831 Posts
Buy smaller tires?

·
Premium Member
11,784 Posts
Contact Eibach, they may make or could make you a custom spring for you.

or

Park on the driveway....the FJ is tough.

·
fka ITSMELUIGI
158 Posts
buy a lift kit for the house!
remove air from the tires!
add a bigger lift to the house and buy bigger tires!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Jack it up and park it in the drivway for all your neighrbors to envy

·
Registered
622 Posts
Before I would lower my FJ I would;
A. Park it in the driveway or on the street
B. mod the garage door opening with a steel I-Beam header to get the clearance needed to fit the FJ in the garage
C. Move to a place with a bigger garage opening.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Ha! At least you thought to look before you bought the car! I got mine home before saying oh $h!t is it going to fit? Chances are you could lower the FJ but then you have to ask yourself if you really should?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,983 Posts
Well your forum name will "fit" with the look of your FJ...... Lowering a FJ, what blasphemy is this...

·
Registered
90 Posts
How can anybody think of lowering one of the last true offroad capable SUVs.....I would rather park it outside that do such a thing...you might be better off getting another suv.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
OK - I am ready to buy - except for one not so small problem - the height of my garage entrance. Toyota lists the height of the F J Cruiser at 72' (no roof rack) - but that is not correct - my dealer and I measured the roof at the highest point and it is 73". And since my garage entrance height is only 72 1/4" and with an inclined driveway entrance I will need the height of the F J Cruiser lowered by AT LEAST 1 1/2 ". No - I can not adjust the garage door. So my question is: Can the suspension of the F J Cruiser be lowered by 1 1/2"? If so, what all is involved?
Any vehicle, for the most part, can be lowered. You'll need shorter coils and a different suspension. I have no idea who, if anyone, make something for the FJ, but I'm sure it can be done. I'm not sure I would base my decision on the rig as to whether it fits in the garage though. I bought mine with no garage and still don't have one, and it is fine. I plan on a lift in the spring and I know there are certain garages downtown I won't be able to fit in... And I don't care :) good luck though.

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
1 - 20 of 59 Posts