Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Can I upgrade my coil spring with stock shocks, upper and lower arm to lift my Fj?

4K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Jon Agg 
#1 ·
Hi guys, just wanna know of I can upgrade my coil spring to have 2” lift with stock arms and shocks instead of having shock lift spacers? I want to fit 285/70/17 bfg tires

#2 ·
285's will fit in the rear without any modifications. Your stock front Upper Control Arms will accommodate 2 inches of lift. Using your stock front shocks with 2 inch lift springs could present a problem. If your suspension fully flexes you could damage the shocks. For very few dollars get a set of Bilstein 5100's for the front, use your stock springs and level the vehicle. Roughly 1.5 inches of lift. You'll have no problem fitting 285's.

Your only cost will be the price of the 5100's.

#3 ·
Great advice! Thanks!

But let’s say I’ve upgraded my shock bilstein 5100 on front and back with new coil springs, approx i have 2.5” lift, could I fit bigger tires like 315/70/17 on it with a performance upper arm regardless that I’ll do BMC?

#4 ·
Fitting 315's correctly is going to require a substantial investment. 3 inch lift in the front, body mount chop, sway bar relocation, differential drop kit, upper control arms, 1.5 to 2 inches of lift in the rear, rims with the appropriate amount of backspacing.

#5 ·
Hi olongapo2, I guess 315 tires are way to much headache for me since I’m still new to this components.

Fitting 33/12.5/17 or 305/70/17 will be a better option (other than 285/70/17) with less preparation and less headache? Or it will be the same 315 tires?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.