Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, can I use the 80w90 instead of 75w85? It is becoming easier to find this oil instead of 75w85 or even 75w90?

So far the brands that I found are ZIC (80w90), KIXX (80w90) and ACDelco (75w90).

Note: I previously used 85w90 as per the shop that deals with OEM parts. But I found it getting black in the rear two days back, when I changed the wheel bearings. So, I don't want to use that oil again.

Please advice me.

Thanks,

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,108 Posts
Should be ok. Might consider more frequent changes if you’re concerned - I do my front diff @ 15k mi, rear @ 10k (I also use Lucas non-synthetic, and HD 85W 140 in the rear, but I’m regeared and do rock crawling). Are you at stock gearing and do you wheel in the dunes? @amaclach might have some advice for you :wink

·
Registered
95 Posts
Run Lucas non synthetic 85w - 140. You can get it for $8 a quart and change it more frequently. You get the better qualities of a non synthetic (cling factor etc) and it costs less. After my diff rebuild I plan on changing mine every 5k of towing and 10k of regular driving. Cheaper than doing an engine oil change, and cheap insurance in my opinion. I used to be a believer that synthetic was better in every way and situation, but not anymore. I believe you can’t beat fresh oil with a fresh additive package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont have Lucas 85w140 in my area. Just what I have mentioned.

I found a Mannol 75w90 GL-5 LS (Limited Slip). Can I use this or will it hurt?

·
Desert Moderator
6,518 Posts
I dont have Lucas 85w140 in my area. Just what I have mentioned.

I found a Mannol 75w90 GL-5 LS (Limited Slip). Can I use this or will it hurt?
I know nothing about oil, but @FJtest or @CabinCruiser might have some advice

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
80W-90 vs. 75W-90 and you are in United Arab Emirates. I cant see any issue. Both are going to perform like 90 weight gear oil when at operating temp. The first number refers to flowability when cold or during winter (hence the W designation on the first number). Since I assume UAE is a hot place, even during the winter I cant see any reason why 80W-90 wouldnt perform just like the 75W-90 for your location.

FYI....80W-90 is pretty much the standard dino based gear oil weight that was used for every axle ever made prior to 1995 (at least in my experience doing DIY wrenching over the last 40 years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts