Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, I am renting a JAY FLIGHT caravan and plan on towing it for 150 KM around trip with my FJC 2008 Automatic. The caravan has Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs.) 3,935 (http://www.jayco.com/php/products/floorplans.php?id=245). Few questions I have:

1) How deep can I take the caravan in the desert sand if at all?
2) Are there any special driving instructions (no over drive?)
3) Can FJC handle a caravan that size easily?
4) I have to get a ball tow hook, anything special to look out for?
5) Since I am renting this Caravan, I am not going to get lights or break’s connected to the Caravan..

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think the FJ would do a good job of towing a Jayco 19BH. You've got plenty of extra capability for dealing with hills and the trailer isn't that long. I'm not sure if that camper has surge brakes or electric brakes. If it's got electric brakes, you'll need to up your connection to a 7-pin (The FJ only has a 4 pin) and get a brake controller installed. I'm not sure what the weight cut-off is for requiring electric brakes on a camper. I don't think you'll need a weight distributing hitch or a sway controller though the later makes things much nicer when the crosswinds turn the side of the camper into a sail.

Regarding driving tips or instructions, keep the speed a bit lower and following distances longer than you'd usually drive to compensate for longer stopping distances. Yeah, avoid overdrive, especially on hills.

My Jayco 23B has electric brakes and would just about max out the FJ's towing capacity (hence the Ford Expedition in the garage). It's only 24 feet long, but maxes out at 4,950 lbs.

I don't know about bringing a camper out into the sand - that's a lot of weight on two thin tires. Not much sand here in NY, though, so I'm not the one to be listened to regarding that.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Thanks for the reply... can you please tell me what is the max FJC can pull, 5 tons?
FJ's are rated to tow 5k lbs, I tow a trailer thats less than 3k lbs and I feel that is about as much as I would want to tow with it in the moutains here and still be comfortable. The wieght you are talking about you will want trailer brakes IMO. Not having lights is a dangerous thing to do also not to mention you will more than likely get pulled over.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can rent a Dodge Durango from the same company which is renting me the Caravan.. or i cam take a friends Nissan Patrol 4liter...

I prefer to take my FJC, however if Dodge or Nissan will be better at it i don't mind taking one of them...

any advice there?

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
the FJ will do ok, the Patrol will be MUCH better.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Make sure you empty the holding tanks before hitting the road. You're only rated for about 1K of cargo, and this incudes LP gas, black, gray, and fresh water holding tanks. If you don't wire for lights, you will most likely get a ticket. If they suspect you're overloaded-they will weigh your trailer. IMHO you're too heavy to start with. But if you go for it-be careful, it's not how much it will tow, it's how fast can you safley sop it.

·
Banned
290 Posts
If you are only going 75km down the road and back you might be okay, depending on the hills. No brakes is not a great idea with at least 4,000 pounds behind you. No lights is rude and illegal. If you're going to have a whole hitch installed, have the lights hookup installed too. Ask about brakes!

Desert sand is really relative. Sometimes it hard as pavement, sometimes it's quicksand, most times it's somewhere in between. Soft, deep sand will not be your friend. The towing capacity of the FJ is 5,000. Yeah, no overdrive.

TT

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for all the info... i think going with 4.0 liter Nissan Patrol is safer... so will take that this time...

Merry X-Mass =0)

·
Registered
31 Posts
For what its worth, i haul a old 2600 lbs. dry weight pop up....it handles fine. But i would not want to go much past 3500 lbs in an FJ....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts