Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched with no luck... What if I want the corrosion resistant hardware, but want my Hi-Lift to be red?

Could I take the Extreme apart and paint it, or take the Extreme hardware and put it on the regular one?

Any and all opinions, flames, and comments welcome! I'm an easy guy. :wave:

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I paint my old one as needed. Just don't paint the slide pins in the mechanism or their springs.
A custom paint job could be cool.

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
I dissembled everything & painted it (not the mechanism or springs), came out great! Now it matches the TRD :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
will you wax it because if you don't I would not paint it. I used to wax mine but the grease that made it work smoothly kept getting on the finish.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My Hi Lift is old, used and abused! After buying my FJ I painted it black to freshen it up and remove the old rust. After painting I lubed all the important areas. My only complaint is after using the new paint got dinged up a bit! Other than that no problems, works just fine. IMHO paint if you want.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great! I didn't know if another layer of paint would gum up any of the holes or anything... So should I completely disassemble it? Any pics of a custom paint job?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Great! I didn't know if another layer of paint would gum up any of the holes or anything... So should I completely disassemble it? Any pics of a custom paint job?
What's the worst thing that could happen? A lot of sanding? :D

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's the worst thing that could happen? A lot of sanding? :D
I guess you're right... maybe i'll can skip the Hi-Lift and get one of those new OCD jacks. They seem to meet my needs better. :lol:

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
After using your hilift, the powder coat will come off (or original paint, whatever it is)

I painted the i-beam an olive drab rustoleum paint after sanding away the surface rust. The paint now removes much fast when i use the jack, but no more rust.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
that last few times i used mine, the conditions were pretty muddy....i hosed her off and gave her a coat of wd40.....go ahead and paint the hell out of her.....don't forget to post pics..........:rocker:

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I've painted mine several times over the years - the whole thing, e.g. mechanism, springs, pin... it really doesn't mind ;) You think the force that'll lift a truck is going to let a little paint slow it down.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
The red handle on mine was flaking, so I powercoated it. Looks great! :)

The black support beam is a little rusty, but it doesn't bother me and I haven't repainted or coated it yet, but it's easy enough to remove the lifting assembly in order to paint it if need be.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts