Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I was looking at purchasing a TRD exhaust because I prefer the side exit versus rear exit of the tip. The previous seller installed a JBA exhaust but did not mention anything else regarding modifications. It appears I do not have my 2 cats closest to the exhaust and instead a Y Pipe. Im guessing its a URD?

What surprises me is I am in the Portland, Oregon area and emissions here is generally very strict. I passed with flying colors last Wednesday so I was surprised when I looked underneath today that I didnt have those 2 cats. Will this be a problem for the FJ moving forward? Should I install a pair catalytic converters down there or leave it as is?

Ive never owned a car where any of the cats were removed and am somewhat upset I didnt inspect this but if its fine then its all good.

Thanks in advance.
Vehicle Bumper Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas
Vehicle Motor vehicle Gas Bumper Automotive tire
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Tread
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rim Gas

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No sniffer for the FJ, they just plug into the ODB port to see if there's any codes from the front cats underperforming. I don't see any reason to bother putting them back in if they're gone, someone will just cut them back off for you anyway.. 馃ぃ
True! I think for me its just the extra gas smell that gets me. I mean its not tooo bad but with a newborn coming and a toddler currently, I dont want my wife to give me any excuse to get rid of this FJ ive been longing to own 馃槀馃槀馃槀.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it crosses under the transmission pan then it is probably a URD Y pipe. Thats the only one that I can think of that does that.

If it doesn't look like that, post up a pic and I'll be able to tell you which it is off-hand.

I personally don't know alot about emissions testing since I've never had to have a vehicle inspected. Yes its strange to me that it passed, apparently the first two cats are the most important. I have the last two cats deleted on my FJ as well and its hard to tell a difference from the exhuast smell alone since the other 2 cats are still installed.
For some reason I cant post pics on this forum. It keeps saying something about the attached image not having an allowable extension.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, thanks everyone. You are all awesome. So with the URD Y pipe, im guessing its a quality piece? I mean, I am just glad theres no check engine light and everything runs smooth. Im also wondering now if my heads were replaced too. You guys think I shouldnt have issues swapping out the JBA exhaust for a TRD one?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Headers? Hard to say without seeing them. The URD is a good piece although she's lookin a little crusty. Those parts don't change the configuration of the exhaust, any cat back should bolt right up.
Ill try to get a pic of the headers. Ive listened a lot of clips of FJs with a cat delete and mine doesnt sound anywhere as loud. Im not sure why the Y pipe and exhaust look so orange. Is there anything I can do to help it? Any spray or anything?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well I lucked out and a member on here is sending me his rear 2 OEM cats. I might send him back my Y pipe too if he wants it. Im assuming my Y pipe has some kind of simulator on the O2 sensors because if the fact its not throwing any engine lights. Could I just reinstall it as is into the rear oem cat pipes when I get them and be good to go?

Again, my main intent for reinstalling the factory rear cats is to help with the exhaust fumes as I have a toddler and a preggo wife. I don't want my family to breathe in those fumes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts