Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can someone help me? -Horn Relay

I used the search feature, but didn't really satisfy me. I just picked up a Wolo Bad Boy for $31 bucks at autozone. I've been looking at a new horn, but i'm not thinking about the train horns for another 6 months. Nevertheless, I settled for a cheap air horn! (even though it sounds like an italian sports car) it's better than the stock!

I was reading how you have to set up a special relay, even more work since the FJ has only a one-wire deal. And I have no idea how to do this. I have the relay that came with the Wolo and the instructions, but I am the most relay-setting-up challenged person around.

Can someone step by step me? :p Maybe reply me a little tutorial?

What do I need now? 16 gauge wiring? and do I use the Motorcycle Electrical Connection Map system? It says it's for two wires not one. So i'll need to splice too? I live literally 50ft from a Lowes so I can pick up what I need in a flash, just don't know what to do :mecry:

Anyway, lookin for some help :p

**whoops, i put this in general discussion, could a mod move it?

oh btw, does this relay work fine if i lay on the horn? without needed to get a new fuse? i didn't understand what was going on before

·
Registered
534 Posts
lol...good luck.....this is way above my head

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey bud I have looked at that horn you said it sounds like european? Ok hope this helps. the horn says a relay so you have to have good volts from the battery. first you need a relay there are universal at the auto stores looks like a little black box with 5 terminals it comes with instructions for each terminal.

find the stock horn wire on the left side of the engine compartment there is going to be one wire. Cut this wire for the switch the existing wire for the old horn and run it to this post. the horn side wire goes to one of two supply post on the relay. run a fused battery feed from the Bat. to the relay. the next is the ground from the relay. There should be one post left on the relay put the new horn on that. all done both horns go when activated. if they dont have a universal I just get a ford fuel pump relay its the same thing.

directions are kida vague sorry posts look like this

[ -power in

[ [ [
[
\
2 power out

the two on each side is your neg and switch

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
how do i run a fused wire from the bat? isn't there a power wire from the regular horn that goes into the fuse box? or do i have to just mount some fuse somewhere, like near the relay box?

also do i just pick up some kind of enclosed fuse and 20guage wire?

and if i want to run it as my main horn and remove the old one, can't i use the wires from the old one instead of using the secondary wires?

or should i keep the stock on as well and run 3?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts