Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"Automatic models come with a transfer case that can be driven in 2-Hi, 4-Hi and 4-Lo mode. Manual models are always in four-wheel drive, with the transfer case offering 4-Hi, 4-Hi with locked differential and 4-Lo with locked differential."

What exactly is 2-hi,4-hi, 4-hi with locked differential, and 4-lo with locked differential, and what situations are they most practical?
My suv doesnt have these options and I'm not very familiar with all these terms and when they will be more useful.

I also read on the toyota website that the chief driver used a combination of TRAC (traction control) and locked differential to navigate the off-road terrain.
Any explanations on that? I could search on google but I'm betting you guys can give a better explanation and I'll be able to ask questions too :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
totaleclipse02 said:
"Automatic models come with a transfer case that can be driven in 2-Hi, 4-Hi and 4-Lo mode. Manual models are always in four-wheel drive, with the transfer case offering 4-Hi, 4-Hi with locked differential and 4-Lo with locked differential."

What exactly is 2-hi,4-hi, 4-hi with locked differential, and 4-lo with locked differential, and what situations are they most practical?
My suv doesnt have these options and I'm not very familiar with all these terms and when they will be more useful.

I also read on the toyota website that the chief driver used a combination of TRAC (traction control) and locked differential to navigate the off-road terrain.
Any explanations on that? I could search on google but I'm betting you guys can give a better explanation and I'll be able to ask questions too :D
Skip Google and search these forums. These topics have been discussed in depth and you will find all your answers contained within. When in doubt... STFA first! :)

Jason

(No offense intended...)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
n6opv said:
Skip Google and search these forums. These topics have been discussed in depth and you will find all your answers contained within. When in doubt... STFA first! :)

Jason

(No offense intended...)

Sounds like a plan :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,874 Posts
totaleclipse02 said:
"Automatic models come with a transfer case that can be driven in 2-Hi, 4-Hi and 4-Lo mode. Manual models are always in four-wheel drive, with the transfer case offering 4-Hi, 4-Hi with locked differential and 4-Lo with locked differential."

What exactly is 2-hi,4-hi, 4-hi with locked differential, and 4-lo with locked differential, and what situations are they most practical?
My suv doesnt have these options and I'm not very familiar with all these terms and when they will be more useful.

I also read on the toyota website that the chief driver used a combination of TRAC (traction control) and locked differential to navigate the off-road terrain.
Any explanations on that? I could search on google but I'm betting you guys can give a better explanation and I'll be able to ask questions too :D
I can help you with the easy ones, the fancy pants trac control crap is WAY beyond me, but:

2-HI = Driving on the road. Not insanely muddy, or too much snow or debri. Think car. If you would do it in your mom's cadillac, you can do it in 2-Hi. That's the safest way. Now, since this is a truck by nature. You can probably drive some pretty gnarly terrain in 2-HI, but why if you have 4-Hi?

4-HI = Higher speeds in 4x4 mode. Anything that does not require crawling or serious navigation of obstacles.

4-LO = Breakin' Axles Time. Rockcrawling, bouldering, fording a river, moshin' through 3 feet of snow, extremely slow speed. Very torque. You can feel all of the power that this truck has in 1st gear in 4-lo. You probably will not operate above 2nd if you are in a situation requiring 4-lo. The most unused gearing the FJ will see out of a soccer mom. They probably won't EVER shift it into 4-lo.

*******

Because the Manual is always 4x4, you get 4-hi without having the differential locked as your 2-hi. 4-hi with locked, and 4-lo with locked are similar to the above definition. :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,537 Posts
n6opv said:
Skip Google and search these forums. These topics have been discussed in depth and you will find all your answers contained within. When in doubt... STFA first! :)

Jason

(No offense intended...)
Jason if you dont know just dont post
(No offense intended...)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
It sounds like the manual is AWD and the auto has a traditional 4x4 system. Anyone know if the auto's system will be "intelligent" like the AWD system and allow for cornering without barking among other things.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Elwood said:
It sounds like the manual is AWD and the auto has a traditional 4x4 system. Anyone know if the auto's system will be "intelligent" like the AWD system and allow for cornering without barking among other things.
It wouldn't be AWD if it didn't allow for slippage in turns. That would be a part-time system.

Also, the selectable 4wd system to be available with the automatic will also be able to be driven in hi4 on dry pavement or changing conditions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Roosterdo said:
Jason if you dont know just dont post
(No offense intended...)
Hard not to take offense when you word it like that and make those assumptions...

I do know all about it and I have posted some very informative and pretty detailed descriptions of the different 4WD systems that are going to be available in the FJC, along with my opinions as to benefits and disadvantages. Obviously you didn't search the archives either, else you would've found those.

Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
ToyBox said:
Also, the selectable 4wd system to be available with the automatic will also be able to be driven in hi4 on dry pavement or changing conditions.
Actually, it won't. This is a traditional part-time transfer case that is locked in either 4H or 4L. It is just rear wheel drive otherwise. The only way to get the full-time 4WD system with the center differential is to get the 6-speed manual. We are all still wondering why this is...

Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,252 Posts
So Jason are you saying the auto 4H selection is not useable for on road driving? I think you might be incorrect on this one. It doesn't make sense. I think it was the Edmonds article that said the 4L required you to stop to engage(typical), but the 2H and 4H were selectable for on road driving.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
n6opv said:
Actually, it won't. This is a traditional part-time transfer case that is locked in either 4H or 4L. It is just rear wheel drive otherwise. The only way to get the full-time 4WD system with the center differential is to get the 6-speed manual. We are all still wondering why this is...

Jason
Are you sure? I haven't looked closely into it but the V6 4Runner has a selctable 4wd system that can be driven on dry pavement in 4hi. I only figured they used the two systems they use in the 4Runner in the fj.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,252 Posts
I just read that Edmonds article again and it doesn't say either way about 4H and on road driving. But it has to. I know I read it somewhere...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
Just buy a 4x4 and drive it in hi, lo, etc.... You'll figure it out eventually....
Just have fun with it !!!!


Kind of like learning to drive a stick. You just have to get learn fro yourself. thats the beauty of it !!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Pancho said:
So Jason are you saying the auto 4H selection is not useable for on road driving? I think you might be incorrect on this one. It doesn't make sense. I think it was the Edmonds article that said the 4L required you to stop to engage(typical), but the 2H and 4H were selectable for on road driving.
You can shift into 4H while driving (shift on the fly) but there is no center diff so it will lock the front and rear axles together like a traditional part time system. I had a pretty lengthy discussion about this stuff with a couple of the Toyota guys at Ojai, since I was a little confused about which transfer case was going where and why. Not to say they haven't changed something, but I'm pretty clear on how everything should work from this conversation and my past experience driving and repairing similar 4WD and AWD systems.

Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
ToyBox said:
Are you sure? I haven't looked closely into it but the V6 4Runner has a selctable 4wd system that can be driven on dry pavement in 4hi. I only figured they used the two systems they use in the 4Runner in the fj.
That's what I assumed they were going to do as well until I heard otherwise. I haven't found any information that hints at the FJC automatic having a full-time 4WD system like the 4runner. If I'm wrong, I might consider the auto, since I really want the full-time 4WD capabilities. For now, I'm sticking with what I was explained at Ojai as correct.

Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,874 Posts
Pancho - I think you're right, I seem to remember either being told or reading that this vehicle will be capable of shifting into 4HI at speeds up to 85pmh! Sounds insane, I know, but I am confident that is what we were told by Amstock at SEMA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
so basically we're saying the systems in the manual and auto will function similarly in 4x4. The difference is the 2wd option with the auto!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Elwood said:
so basically we're saying the systems in the manual and auto will function similarly in 4x4. The difference is the 2wd option with the auto!
Not quite. There's a center differential in the full-time case (6-speed) allowing you to drive on all roads without damaging anything. The part-time case (auto) is locked at all speeds in 4WD and only suitable for loose road surfaces, such as snow, mud, etc.

Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Elwood said:
so basically we're saying the systems in the manual and auto will function similarly in 4x4. The difference is the 2wd option with the auto!
I think that is correct and switch from 4wd to 2wd could save some gas.

Just as the one used in 4Runner v6.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Kruiser said:
I think that is correct and switch from 4wd to 2wd could save some gas.

Just as the one used in 4Runner v6.
The 4Runner V6 can select 2wd, 4wd hi and 4wd lo. But in 4wd hi it CAN BE driven on the dry pavement like an awd system.

The question is wether the new fj will use this system (the V6 4Runner's) or use a different one that is a traditional part-time 4wd system.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top