Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does it take exactly to activate the LoJack? Does it transmit all the time? Can the police activate it without your knowledge, and track your movements willy-nilly? Or does some security code scheme prevent them from doing this unless you report your car stolen??

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
What does it take exactly to activate the LoJack? Does it transmit all the time? Can the police activate it without your knowledge, and track your movements willy-nilly? Or does some security code scheme prevent them from doing this unless you report your car stolen??
No they cannot track you, you must call Lo-Jack and activate your alarm with your account number. Also Lo-Jack cant track a specific vehicle, In the police car they just get a alert of a stolen vehicle on the area, til the get to the vehicle it self they dont know the owner. (this was true as of 3 years ago when i called and asked that question, it could have changed and they could have lied to sell me)

·
Registered
175 Posts
edited by widow

·
Registered
364 Posts
If you have a cell phone you can be tracked... LoJack or not.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
The lo-jack is in passive mode, it must be activated to trasmit by lo-jack. Not the police or anyone else can activate it. And as said you need your account number to activate it. It can't be tracked without being activated, if it could the point of having one would be moot as a thief could just check a car to see if it was broadcasting a radio signal and either avoid that car, or rip it apart to find the lo-jack unit. As said use a cell phone and you are trackable.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My understanding is that it activates when the wheels of the vehicle move without the corresponding fob being within range.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
LoJack doesn't get activated unless the little token, that you should have on your key ring, is not in your vehicle while it's moving. So if you vehicle is moving and the token is in it, the LoJack system is in a dormate state.

·
965 Posts
The lo-jack is in passive mode, it must be activated to trasmit by lo-jack. Not the police or anyone else can activate it. And as said you need your account number to activate it. It can't be tracked without being activated, if it could the point of having one would be moot as a thief could just check a car to see if it was broadcasting a radio signal and either avoid that car, or rip it apart to find the lo-jack unit. As said use a cell phone and you are trackable.
KiltedBishop is correct the lojack box sits in a receive only mode, on the basic system there is no fob(unless you buy a expanded system). Think of a pager, it just sits there listening to the frequency's that they operate on. When the ESN of the box is transmitted after you call in and give your account number and vin number the box starts transmitting. It's a fairly low power signal and it requires the use of cars to track, it's not like it starts transmitting it's GPS location since it can't do that at least on the basic system most people buy. Once activated lojack can't pinpoint where it is without the police cars outfitted with the receivers looking for it. They can get a basic idea of the area but that's about it.

For more nitty gritty on how the police use it.

Most police departments have a few cars setup with a receiver for the lojack signal. Larger departments can if they have the resources use multiple cars at once to triangulate the signal for a quicker recovery. Smaller departments might only have one working car with the receiver so the officer has to work of signal strength thus increasing the amount of time, if using a single antenna setup. There are also cars setup with 9 antennas and it's a Doppler system in which the receiver measures the signal strength on each antenna and it can direction find the signal

·
Registered
2,925 Posts

·
Banned
1,465 Posts
I suppose this begs the question, Is this a concern? I can't think of many random scenarios where a police Department is going to authorize a surveilance operation just for the hell of it.

Is this like a new Conspiracy Game that just came out on PS3??

P.S. As was already mentioned, Cell phones are equipped with GPS Locators. If you have a cell phone you can be located.

·
965 Posts
I have Networkcar and Networkfleet: GPS Vehicle Tracking, AVL, Wireless Vehicle Management, Remote Diagnostics, Stolen Vehicle Recovery, Roadside Assistance, I know where my FJ is, where it has been, how fast it is moving, tied directly into ODBII, knows home many miles I've traveled, error codes, my MPG. Tracked by satelite, works everywhere unlike Lo-Jack.
A friend of mine is now installing those. I'm looking at getting one just because it's really cool. He had it installed in his car and when he and his wife drove to vegas the last time I was able to monitor their drive to make sure they didn't have any issues. It was also fun to bust his chops when he was over the limit. Other cool thing is you can set it up that if it leaves a GPS grid between certain time it will call you. Great for people who have kids they don't trust.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I am sure they have ways to activate it without your knowledge. No matter what the Lo-Jack company will tell you about their product in order to sell it.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have Networkcar and Networkfleet: GPS Vehicle Tracking, AVL, Wireless Vehicle Management, Remote Diagnostics, Stolen Vehicle Recovery, Roadside Assistance, I know where my FJ is, where it has been, how fast it is moving, tied directly into ODBII, knows home many miles I've traveled, error codes, my MPG. Tracked by satelite, works everywhere unlike Lo-Jack.
GOod god. Is there a cam in there watching you too to see if you are nodding off? a breathalizer in the steering wheel? Does it monitor how often you use the cigaret lighter and report this to your health insurance company? oops no cigaret lighter in the fj. Can it detect if you are speeding or "weaving"? If the airbags deploy does it summon an amublance? IF it is a high speed crash does it send a Life Flight chopper right off the bat?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I'm thinkin just asking that question here has activated some sort of tracking already. There are probably 3 NSA agents logged on now.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
GOod god. Is there a cam in there watching you too to see if you are nodding off? a breathalizer in the steering wheel? Does it monitor how often you use the cigaret lighter and report this to your health insurance company? oops no cigaret lighter in the fj. Can it detect if you are speeding or "weaving"? If the airbags deploy does it summon an amublance? IF it is a high speed crash does it send a Life Flight chopper right off the bat?
GOod god. Is there a cam in there watching you too to see if you are nodding off? If you need this feature, you shouldn't drive a breathalizer in the steering wheel? again don't drive Does it monitor how often you use the cigaret lighter and report this to your health insurance company? Maybe it should so I don't have to pay higher premiums for those that like cancer oops no cigaret lighter in the fj. Can it detect if you are speeding or "weaving"? Speeding yes, weaving no If the airbags deploy does it summon an amublance? Would be an intersting feature IF it is a high speed crash does it send a Life Flight chopper right off the bat? A high speed crash does not always necessitate a med flight, plus "high speed" is a relative term

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
No those are reflections of swamp gas off the lights of venus...now just look at this small light (puts on sunglasses)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts