Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok! I'm writing this knowing full well that people are going to say I'm pretty lazy, but this one just bothers me. On a day that it is warm, but not so warm that I want the AC on, I turn the temp knob all the way to the left and the AC turns on. So now I have to turn it one click off of the full left stop and then turn the AC off. Is there a way to turn this function off?

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
I agree ... bad design. All the way over puts the HVAC into MAX cooling, so the A/C comes on and the Recirc. comes on. There needs to be some sort of detent in that knob so that you can actually feel it go into Max A/C if you want it to, ir not. Most of the time I just want cool outside air and I ALWAYS overcrank the knob and automatically turn the A/C & Recir on. Then after getting cold I realize it and back the knob off and then turn off the a/c and recirs. manually Poor design on the knob.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ignore those who say you should live with this aggravation! You don't have to. The solution is very simple.

Build up a dab of hot melt glue (or silicone caulk maybe) at the stop on the back of the knob to keep it from rotating all the way to the max a/c position. I have a photo in another thread. Search for "max a/c" with quotes.

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
Thanks for the tip, it's a simple and effective idea.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
961 Posts
There's another way..
Pull the AC relay under the hood.
In the winter I like hot air on the windshield, it does a better job of keeping it clear. Plus I don't have to have cold air diluting the heat that I want.
When spring rolls around pop the relay back in and good to go for hot weather.
The light on the AC button will blink when the relay is out, but you can hit the button and it will stop.
HTH..

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
I thought you can hold the ac button for 5
secs and it will not be on auto mode, well,
until you turn the key off, then on again,
then you must repeat it... hmmm... or it that
the reciculation button... Ahhaaaa... :(...

·
Registered
171 Posts
There's another way..
Pull the AC relay under the hood.
In the winter I like hot air on the windshield, it does a better job of keeping it clear. Plus I don't have to have cold air diluting the heat that I want.
When spring rolls around pop the relay back in and good to go for hot weather.
The light on the AC button will blink when the relay is out, but you can hit the button and it will stop.
HTH..
It's a good idea to run your AC for a few minutes every week even in the dead of winter. The refrigerant carries oil that keep the compressor and the seals in good workking condition.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
It's a good idea to run your AC for a few minutes every week even in the dead of winter. The refrigerant carries oil that keep the compressor and the seals in good workking condition.
You are correct. Tell my wife that. She never does this and blammo the first humid summer day. Compressor won't run because low/NO refrigerant switch won't let it because seals are shot. :flame:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts