Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get these off (to install the custom FJ Bazooka bracket) but they don't seem to be moving, just stripping the screw. Anyone remove them?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I am assuming you are talking about the plastic cleats, it is just a long screws so when you unscrew it it gives you that feeling, keep turning it will come out..

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am assuming you are talking about the plastic cleats, it is just a long screws so when you unscrew it it gives you that feeling, keep turning it will come out..
I am trying to but it is stripping the screw. Then I looked with a flashlight and it appears that the screw is set in a metal brace or something, so I was concerned.

This is an FJ without the stock sub.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can also use a metric socket on it, try that.
None of the sockets I have fit, I'm not even sure theres a nut to remove, it just looks like a screw inside a thin metal circle.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Do you mean those little plastic cleats on either side for hooking onto grocery bags? If so, yes.... unless they changed something for the 2008 models. I don't think they would because those need to be removed to pull the plastic in the rear if you need to get in behind it for wiring or something. Just get a metric socket set.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you mean those little plastic cleats on either side for hooking onto grocery bags? If so, yes.... unless they changed something for the 2008 models. I don't think they would because those need to be removed to pull the plastic in the rear if you need to get in behind it for wiring or something. Just get a metric socket set.
The pdf in this thread (removing stock subwoofer) shows a bolt needs to be removed, but I have a 2008 without the stock sub and there is no bolt, its a screw, inside a metal brace (circle) and its not turning.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Geeeez, I just posted about this, with picture, and then scrooled down to find this post. I think Doomsday and I are talking about the same thing. Here is the picture I posted:

I'm not hijacking just trying to get the same information, I think.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
A 10mm socket should do the trick.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nevadaesh, thats it, thats the phillips-head screw that isn't budging.

A 10mm socket should do the trick.:bigthumb:
So it can't be unscrewed? Why is there a screw in there. :flame:

·
Formerly FJ_Marine
6,237 Posts
nevadaesh, thats it, thats the phillips-head screw that isn't budging.

So it can't be unscrewed? Why is there a screw in there. :flame:
Take it to the dealer, they have a special 10mm socket that can remove it. :rofl:

Just kidding, use a regular 10mm socket and it will come out just fine.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
when i was removing all my panels, i went for a phillips. a slight turn made me realize it wasnt going to budge it without stripping it. had to got for a 10mm socket and it did the trick. cant even get a good grip on a nut driver for those.

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
I forgot to tell you in my PM response....I used self-tapping screws to hold the Bazooka straps/bracket down. Very secure for my style of driving.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts