Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
314 Posts
Guess I'm in the minority here. I love my FJ, but compared to my daily driver mini-van for my daily kid shuttling? The FJ is definitely NOT my first choice.

I have 3 kids... 2 in boosters, 1 in car seat. Yes, all seats can fit, but rather cramped to get in there and fasten belts. The kids in boosters have a hard time getting their belts fastened, which means I have to do it, and my hands are even bigger. The rear doors, while cute and fun for normal purposes, quickly get a bit annoying if you have a busy schedule doing frequent drop offs and pick ups at different locations. This is made a bit worse in bad weather (Rain, snow, -20 weather, etc...) I know... first world problems!

Some example scenarios:

Have to park in a busy lot with limited # of spaces to drop off the kids someplace?
FJ: Just wait until you have a not-so-nice driver park about 10" from your passenger side right after you get parked and are ready to unload. (This seems to happen frequently in the places I go.) That passenger side back door is NOT going to be able to open. Plan B: get everyone in or out of the driver's side door. But remember those seat belts that are hard for my kids to unfasten? Time to get up on your knees in the driver's seat, crawl backwards and try to click them out and then shuffle everyone out the driver's side door. And then, pray that some other wiener doesn't park too close to your driver's side door before you get back to the car. Yes, parking in the middle of no where does help, but not always possible. (Wal-Mart? Sure. Small school parking lot? If you're lucky...)
Mini-Van: Only need about 6" for the door to open. Press the button, kids out, get on with life.

Need to drop your kids off for school in the car line?
FJ: Put it in park, hop out, run around to the passenger side, open the front door, open the back door, mess with belt(s), have kids hop out, close things up, and back in. See the person behind you politely waving (weird - why is she only waving with 1 finger?), wanting you to get out of the way so they can pull out...
Mini van: Kids can undo their own belts easily. Press the power "Passenger side door" button. Kids hop out. Press the button, and gone.

Need to wait to pick up one of the kids from an activity while one or more of the others are in the car?
FJ: All occupants must remain seated until we are ready to go. No room to roam.
Mini-van: Park the van and let them wander in the van a bit (especially helpful for younger kids - 2 or 3 year olds that need to move a bit.)

And sure, all of the above things seem silly. If I had to do this once a month, then I wouldn't care at all. But, when you do it every day... every week... every month... You start to realize that life is too short to spend 5 minutes doing something that could take you 20 seconds. Even if mini-vans aren't "cool" to drive. Especially when your sanity is on the line.

Don't get me wrong... I love my FJ, and I often take it if I have only 1 or 2 of the kiddos with me if we don't have any set deadline or schedule. But when it's crunch time. and I have all 3? Only in emergencies...

· Registered
314 Posts
@SkidMarks71 gotta do what makes sense and keeps your sanity so I’m with you on all that. Don’t count yourself in the minority haha. I wrote for anyone thinking that having a kid meant automatically it was time to get rid of their FJ. In terms of pure kid haulers the minivan is really unparalleled. Sliding doors you mentioned also mean your kids won’t ding doors on the way in and out. Also lower to the ground helps them climb in by themselves. The FJ wasn’t purpose built to haul kids, but it can.
Oh yeah, sure. Wasn't knocking what you were doing, and it sounds like you guys do use the Pilot for the daily work, which makes perfect sense. I only suggest to anyone that is considering the FJ for "full time kid duty" to make sure they discuss it with whomever is going to be actually doing the "full time kid duty" in advance so they know what to expect. :D.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.