Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello FJ family,

I see a lot of folks parting ways with their FJ as they prepare for their first child. There’s nothing wrong with that- obviously it’s a personal decision and kids are a blessing not an inconvenience. Seeing how FJs hold their value so well and kids aren’t cheap I can definitely understand this decision from a financial point of view. BUT if I can offer any encouragement to this crowd of people let me share -> when I bought my FJ we already had 3 kiddos (4, 2, 6mo all requiring car seats) and it IS doable in the FJ. Tight but doable- tips below.

First let me explain our family’s car situation. Prior to my FJ, I drove a Honda Accord (the FJ is better for 3 kiddos than the accord).
The FJ is my vehicle and my wife drives a Honda Pilot. The Pilot is a champ at family hauling and it’s not close between the FJ and Pilot -> Pilot is way better (much more interior space, so it’s a no brainer).
But when we take trips that need 4WD where we’re going- we take the FJ, no problem.
We have 2 front facing Graco car seats and one rear facing Graco clickconnect 35 for the baby.

Tips: 1. remove the cup holders from both armrests of each car seat. 2. Use the seatbelt through the car seat as the means to secure it, not the car seat anchors. 3. Get all 3 seats in prior to tightening each down 4. Put the child who’s most likely to kick the seat in front of them in the middle seat (for us it’s our 2 yr old) lol 5. Remove the rear headrests (maybe that’s obvious...)

This set up is solid and both myself and my wife have plenty of legroom- knees aren’t in our chest- very comfortable. We typically make road trips of 1.5 hrs to 4.5 hrs. I have also found that our kiddos sleep really well in the FJ because of how dark the rear seats are from the B pillar, small rear window and dark tinting (sun in their eyes is a non-issue most of the time). The most noteworthy disadvantage to the Pilot is that my wife cannot sit in the middle with them- helps keep everyone happy.

So you can have your cake and eat it too sometimes. Give it a try for 1-2 months with a baby and if you hate it, let ‘er go (your FJ that is). Just wanted to try to shed the stigma some- it can be a family vehicle.

Cheers, Michael

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@SkidMarks71 gotta do what makes sense and keeps your sanity so I’m with you on all that. Don’t count yourself in the minority haha. I wrote for anyone thinking that having a kid meant automatically it was time to get rid of their FJ. In terms of pure kid haulers the minivan is really unparalleled. Sliding doors you mentioned also mean your kids won’t ding doors on the way in and out. Also lower to the ground helps them climb in by themselves. The FJ wasn’t purpose built to haul kids, but it can.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.