Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1 week anniversary with my FJ is tommorow, and I love it.

I have read the manuel about leaving rear window open, and stuff flying in and out, basically they say don't leave it open (and whatever other reason they give).

Ok, I get that, however I, like anyone else don't follow every rule.

I just put a new crate in the hatch area for my German Shepherd, we will be going to the park daily, its about 4-5 miles (each way).

Can I safely drive that distance or basically any distance (within reason), and leave the rear window open (want to do this for extra air to him in crate).

I am not sure if leaving open at longer distance will add stress to the hydrolic lift (or whatever you want to call it, on the rear window-:lol: I am not mechanical).

There aren't any bumps or off roading I will be doing to make the vehicle bounce up and down, so in that regards, just a straight shot.

I have also thought about utilizing a fan in the back area with the 115v, or running tubes from the ac outlet in the front, to the rear, Jasper gets pretty hot on our hiking)-only if I can't leave window open for safety (glass breaking issues).

When I worked as a deputy, we use to buy supplies from Ray Allen K9, and they sell these tubes that I want to utilize, however they are $70.00, and I can do it for less then half the cost, but still the window open would be ideal.

Thanks..

·
Registered
467 Posts
I use my FJ to transport 2 Boxers for short distances (5-6 mles) at a time and I leave the rear window open for them. As one of the other posts stated, the issue is with the exhaust gasses. If you have the TRD exhaust (my TT does) it ports out to the right side and not under the rear window. The standard exhaust may cause problems as it ports under the rear window. I had my first FJ for almost 2 years and 29K miles and have the TT since April and I can not recall ever having an issue with exhaust fumes, but I always drive with the front windows cracked when the rear is open.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'd agree, the major concern is drawing in exhaust gas. If you drive with the driver & passenger windows down, then I'd expect air will flow front to back, and no problem. However, with those windows closed, there could be some vacuum created, pulling in the exhaust from the rear window. I'm not familiar with the tubes.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
When I take my boxer, I always leave it open, I just turn the dope lights off.
Exhaust fumes worry me. I did do it when my avatar rode back there. But i am thinking that if the exhaust fumes were to pile up anywhere it would be in the back where my dog rides.
So i stopped doing it. He likes it better when i just remove the passenger seat head rest. He can get a lot more air from the window that way.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Exhaust fumes worry me. I did do it when my avatar rode back there. But i am thinking that if the exhaust fumes were to pile up anywhere it would be in the back where my dog rides.
So i stopped doing it. He likes it better when i just remove the passenger seat head rest. He can get a lot more air from the window that way.
You can buy a detector and test it out w/o the pooch. Sounds good in theory, anyway.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
You can buy a detector and test it out w/o the pooch. Sounds good in theory, anyway.
Not a bad idea, plus that would actually let us know if riding with the window open allowed enough CO to be toxic. Someone have one in their house they want to take in the FJ and test this out? Maybe someone with the factory exhaust and then someone with a side exit (TRD or other aftermarket)?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:lol: for the past week I haven't been able to drive (been on too much pain pills from surgery), so I have been preparing for the big first day of driving him.

He will probably hate it (I had a Jeep Rubicon with doors and windows off on almost all drives), however I had taken carpeting out so he didn't get it destroy it. I also don't miss the drool flying forward (does that when all doors were off).

Now, even though I have rubber mats for flooring, I want to take really good care of my FJ (plus for safety reasons, I wanted to start crating him anways (in case accident, he would be safe).

I totally forgot about the exhaust issues, thanks all for bringing that up. Maybe my fan idea would be good? (just plug a small fan from home inside (he just gets so hot).

I am getting TRD CAI installed tommorow, and I had thought of getting the TRD exhaust (thanks for bringing up).

Also thanks to all for not flaming me on alot of my posts. I do use the search function and my owners manuel. Even though this is a no flame zone, I still appreciate all the help.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I drove around for several miles with the rear window open on some dirt roads at 30-40 MPH. Didn't notice the amazing amount of road dust coming in. It was everywhere. Big fun vacuuming that up. Never had the smell of exhaust. Paved roads and short distances may be fine. Be sure to keep the front windows open a couple inches. I'm going to try the strap idea from the link above and see if that helps keep the dust out.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Hey Jasper, if you haven't ridden with the pooch yet, let me offer a suggestion as to what i did from something i noticed. The back of the rear seats is hard plastic. My golden slides all over that stuff and falls on occasionm, and scratches the snot out of it.

So, i went to lowes, bought about 5ft (it is about 3ft wide) of gray anti-fatigue matting. The stuff you stand on or something. I cut that to fit over the back of the seats. Now, it is more comfortable for him to lay on and he doesn't slide around at all.

Also, the reason why i mentioned the other exhaust is because apparently if the exhaust exits to the side of the vehicle, less of it will end up coming in through the back window. Someone said this is why pickups now all have side exiting exhaust because the fumes would get sent back into the pick up area if the exhaust exited straight out.

·
Registered
565 Posts
There is a easier way than making a strap. Kansas city law dog discovered that if you get a clip like the one below, you can operate the window popper with the key and it will hold just fine. Gives you about a 3 inch opening along the bottom. Takes almost all of the wind turbulence out of the FJ at cruising speeds...

( without the split ring attached )

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:lol:
Hey Jasper, if you haven't ridden with the pooch yet, let me offer a suggestion as to what i did from something i noticed. The back of the rear seats is hard plastic. My golden slides all over that stuff and falls on occasionm, and scratches the snot out of it.

So, i went to lowes, bought about 5ft (it is about 3ft wide) of gray anti-fatigue matting. The stuff you stand on or something. I cut that to fit over the back of the seats. Now, it is more comfortable for him to lay on and he doesn't slide around at all.

Also, the reason why i mentioned the other exhaust is because apparently if the exhaust exits to the side of the vehicle, less of it will end up coming in through the back window. Someone said this is why pickups now all have side exiting exhaust because the fumes would get sent back into the pick up area if the exhaust exited straight out.
Thank you.

Actually I have Jaspers crate behind the rear seats, fits perfect, however I have another dog that I didn't mention, and her crate is going over the back seats (that will be down).

Today I was at the dealership and bought the rubberized cargo mat, but I still need something else (like what you metioned would be good (even though they will be in their crates.

I also like your idea, because the wife and I discussed if we take long road trips, I would uncrate them, so they have abit more freedom.

Another reason I wanted them crated is because they go swimming, and then they shake off, and get the car soaked (I bought some soft sided crates for now, I am going to either build my own system, or go through Ray Allen K9 or some other place that works with police depts (when i was a cop, we did some cool stuff with our cars.

Here is some pics I have of the crates, and my setup, I just bought the cargo mat today, so its not pictured.

The rear door closes fine, and I can even push it in abit further. Jasper's crate in the house is a 48 inch, however for the trips to the park, I am only using a 42 inch (He is 105 lbs, so he needs bigger space).

If he has issue with crate size or anything, I will construct something, but I will give it about 1-2 weeks to see how he gets use to it. :lol: no crying in the world from him will make me change setup, only if its a comfort issue and he needs more room. I can only see if he is trying to scam me (that is why I will give it the time I aloted), these GSD's are smart, and can be hard headed.

For my Australian Shepherd/Border Collie

Like I said before, this will prob be temp setup, until I buy/make something more secure, for now it will get them use to it.

I also like the fact that the FJ is darker in back area, so that in itself will keep them cooler:rocker:

There is the FJ (My sister doesn't like it, she says it looks like the Chariot from "Lost in Space":lol:

The Chariot

Also, were is the matting found at in Lowes (carpeting area? I will go look tommorow. Thanks

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
I drive with the rear window open all the time (i Hate the A/C)! I love it that way, air goes straight through the truck.

Just be careful about exhaust coming in in traffic.. The exhaust got to my head pretty bad once, felt like i was going to pass out until my ex started smackin me got me out of it (was complete gridlock.. no air movement)

·
Registered
356 Posts
just to give you my experience, in case it helps. We have issues with the air flow for the dogs and with them getting bounced around and barfing.
As far as the door goes, to keep it open, I just stick a carabiner in window lock, and then the door a jar light and dome lights go off, plus I can connect it to the window if I only want it cracked open.

Some sort of mat in the back is totally necessary, they slide around and scratch it up, otherwise.

and like I said, on long trips one of my dogs is prone to yaking, so air flow is key to preventing that.

ohh, and the side panel over the wheel well (unless you have a sub woofer there) becomes a pool of drool:)

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
My dog is short so she doesn't see out the back very well, but I think she likes the window open. I even close it lock the car and then open the window for her when we go in places she can't. She likes riding in the passenger seat a little better though, but I like the hair up there a little less. My wife usually cleans up the hair with whatever clothes she is wearing when she gets in though.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
My dog is short so she doesn't see out the back very well, but I think she likes the window open. I even close it lock the car and then open the window for her when we go in places she can't. She likes riding in the passenger seat a little better though, but I like the hair up there a little less. My wife usually cleans up the hair with whatever clothes she is wearing when she gets in though.
:lol::lol::lol:

Thats a funny. I use the strap on the back window with the front windows down. No noticable exhaust smell. I have a couple of detectors at work. I'll try and do a test to see what CO, 02, H2S, and LEL I get.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
I drive back and forth between the office and home with it open using a caribeaner and a key ring, saving gas and not using A/c. I have never noticed the fumes, but I keep the front windows open all the way too. I had the cats back there for the cross country move and used a fan to keep them cool. They did real good usually one gets sick and barfs and explodes out the back side all at once in the car, but with the fan she did perrrrrfect. I

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Did a little test at work tonight. Used an Industrial Scientific M40 gas monitor. With front windows down and back window open about 8". Readings on the detector were, O2= 20.9, CO= 0, H2S= 0 and LEL=0. Got the same readings both driving and parked. So there's lots of oxygen and nothings going to explode. :eek:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts