Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the Vegas FJ club is planning on a trip to Inuvik and Tuk in March/April 2017. (yeah, we are driving from Vegas) We'd love to get to meet some of you on the way through.

We have folks on both sides of the border that have been very helpful with info. Initially we had thought of a summer trip to Deadhorse, but some of our schedules made that difficult. (Along with a bug forecast!) So then we decided that if we had to do it in the winter, why not make it a real challenge.

At any rate, if any of you guys have club info for people along the route, let me know!

Nick

·
Registered
282 Posts
The BCFjCruisers Club on facebook has some fantastic members but most of the meets up here in BC are put on by BCToyota4wd make sure to give them a shout and Malcolm would probably get a meet together. i believe he runs both pages. i dont know his blue room name but @westcoastgirl74 will know.

Look forward to meeting tho infamous Vegas Nick if you stop through.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hey guys, I am the admin for BC Toyota 4WD, and a fellow FJ'r I would be stoked to meet you guys, feel free to send me a message on here or i can be found at [email protected] or bctoyota4wd.com we are based in the lower mainland area around vancouver, but we are all over the province of BC and i can help set up any meets along the way.

- Malcolm Sinclair

·
Registered
350 Posts
Curtis you probably saw it but Malcolm commented about the 2 facebook based pages we admin.

Ha! I forgot this does not work like facebook when I clicked reply to your post Curtis. now I can't delete this so I'll add to it...

Vegas Nick - There is a cross Canada site as well with a website (and a smaller facebook page), Canada Overland

There is a small group of us who have been talking about heading up to the Artic circle either this year, 2016, or 2017 :) Stay in touch

·
Registered
350 Posts
Also, the northwest Fj group (on here, and facebook)) include OR, WA and Idaho, not sure where you're thinking to passing through.

·
Registered
622 Posts
@Vegas_Nick knowing what you do for work I will assume you can figure out what city YYC stands for :) as @FJ Cruiser Matt said we have a website and the main email address for our club is trail-leader AT yycfjc(dot)ca. I am interested in hearing about the planned route and what places you are planning to stop over. Calgary is 20 hour drive from Vegas depending on the route you take. We are on the route that would be mostly directly North and on the suggested route when plugging the trip into Google maps. On both of the trips I did to Nevada I drove 10 hrs then stopped in Idaho but my destination was Black Rock Desert not Vegas.

I don't know how many members are going to be traveling with you on your trip but as a group of off-roaders trying to get into Canada make sure you don't have any concealed firearms or even spent shell casings in your rigs, because that will cause a delay at the border as you will have to unload all your gear while they do a fire arms search. If you plan to bring long guns (non-restricted) across the border, get your paperwork done first before leaving. Have a look at this bringing weapons into Canada. I hope to see you before 2017 but if you need any questions answered don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,
Barry

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The BCFjCruisers Club on facebook has some fantastic members but most of the meets up here in BC are put on by BCToyota4wd make sure to give them a shout and Malcolm would probably get a meet together. i believe he runs both pages. i dont know his blue room name but @westcoastgirl74 will know.

Look forward to meeting tho infamous Vegas Nick if you stop through.
:lol::lol: Thanks man! We would love to get to stop for dinner or...a beer. :rocker:

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Vegas_Nick knowing what you do for work I will assume you can figure out what city YYC stands for :) as @FJ Cruiser Matt said we have a website and the main email address for our club is trail-leader AT yycfjc(dot)ca. I am interested in hearing about the planned route and what places you are planning to stop over. Calgary is 20 hour drive from Vegas depending on the route you take. We are on the route that would be mostly directly North and on the suggested route when plugging the trip into Google maps. On both of the trips I did to Nevada I drove 10 hrs then stopped in Idaho but my destination was Black Rock Desert not Vegas.

I don't know how many members are going to be traveling with you on your trip but as a group of off-roaders trying to get into Canada make sure you don't have any concealed firearms or even spent shell casings in your rigs, because that will cause a delay at the border as you will have to unload all your gear while they do a fire arms search. If you plan to bring long guns (non-restricted) across the border, get your paperwork done first before leaving. Have a look at this bringing weapons into Canada. I hope to see you before 2017 but if you need any questions answered don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,
Barry
Thanks Barry! And yep... I caught that reference. :lol: We'd be passing right through as this is the route we are taking:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z31YKgl9mxEk.kuMr4hCRkHEY&usp=sharing

Thanks for the border crossing tips. Pretty much what I had already advised the team. Right now, it looks like 5 rigs unless we pick up people from other places. I think we have a gent from North Pole, AK meeting us as well as a few of your fellow countrymen joining in along the way.

It's over a year away but the planning has occupied a LOT of time already.

Hopefully we can meet as many of you guys as possible on the road.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys, I am the admin for BC Toyota 4WD, and a fellow FJ'r I would be stoked to meet you guys, feel free to send me a message on here or i can be found at [email protected] or bctoyota4wd.com we are based in the lower mainland area around vancouver, but we are all over the province of BC and i can help set up any meets along the way.

- Malcolm Sinclair
Thanks man! I'll add you on our contact list. Looking forward to it!

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Curtis you probably saw it but Malcolm commented about the 2 facebook based pages we admin.

Ha! I forgot this does not work like facebook when I clicked reply to your post Curtis. now I can't delete this so I'll add to it...

Vegas Nick - There is a cross Canada site as well with a website (and a smaller facebook page), Canada Overland

There is a small group of us who have been talking about heading up to the Artic circle either this year, 2016, or 2017 :) Stay in touch
Man, that would be awesome to have you all join in! We're pretty much narrowing it down to mid to late March of 2017. We're hoping for some winter camping along the way so pack your warm skivvies! :rocker::rocker:

·
Registered
622 Posts
I would really like to join in for a few days of adventure but I don't know about getting more than a week off of work. Not sure how far north you have driven but once you are in Montana and heading north it is all pretty flat, southern Alberta has mountains but you won't really be in them if you are taking the route I am thinking. Oh by the way, bring your woolies as it could still be very wintery here that time of year :grin
Thanks Barry! And yep... I caught that reference. :lol: We'd be passing right through as this is the route we are taking:

Thanks for the border crossing tips. Pretty much what I had already advised the team. Right now, it looks like 5 rigs unless we pick up people from other places. I think we have a gent from North Pole, AK meeting us as well as a few of your fellow countrymen joining in along the way.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
282 Posts

Thanks again!
Tried to view the route but denied my access although i did request permission through my google account that begins with curly

·
Admin
6,503 Posts
Subscribed.
I'm interested to see how this pans out and where I will be at that time as well :D
:cheers:

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hey Nick, I am looking at your map and your planned route ... Looks like you plan t get off the #2 hwy (our equivalent to your interstate/freeway) at Innisfail and meander west from there. Just a heads up hwy 2 the speed limit is 110 kph (70 mph), but you can go 120 (75) and no one will bat an eye and it is a mostly flat 4 lane hwy to Edmonton, once in Edmonton you can take hwy 16 west, once again a major hwy 4 lanes for the most part and mainly 70 mph. Turning off at Innisfail you are getting on to a two lane secondary road with lots of small jerk water towns that you will have to slow to 30 mph and possibly school zones, just as you get up to speed (50 mph) you will have to slow down for another town (<-- this is an exaggeration but when you want to make time this is how it seems) ... plus you could encounter farm machinery on the road. This is all pretty much flat prairie not much more scenery on this route. I know you end up going further east than necessary but if time is important at this stage of the game ... I am not sure you will be saving any by cutting off at Innisfail. I just punched in the route from Innisfail to Entwistle and it is 10 min longer on my suggested route but much better roads. Your route is 2h 21 min and my suggested route is 2 hr 34 min ... but then it depends on the time of day you are passing through.

A scenic route would be to cut west at High River and then run 22 north as the rocky mountains will be on your left all the way. This way you also are missing the heavy city traffic of Calgary and Edmonton. Hwy 22 is mostly 2 lane with passing lanes but it is pretty flat and straight so getting by slower traffic should not be a problem. I think the speed limit is 60 - 70 mph for the most part ... Oh and don't forget ... our posted speed limits are kph (the distances are in kilometers) you can't get caught doing 100 mph on our roads just because the posted speed limit is 100 :lol: High River to Moon Lake, AB is roughly 4 hrs so if you want to calculate that portion and see what works best for your crew.

Thanks again!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts