Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, I'm more of a HAM guy then a CB guy, and always will be. I finally decided that I need a CB though, so I can be part of the social aspect of trail runs.

I was set on getting the Cobra 75 WX for the FJ, but can't seem to get a good enough price on one. I'm not paying over $100 for something I use VERY rarely, and don't really like anyway. I've been tracking them on Ebay & they all seem to go for about $65-$95, but haven't won one yet.

So now I'm thinking about going low-end & getting the Cobra 19 Ultra III compact CB. It can be had locally at Wally world for $35. Add a $50 decent antenna (the Bandi will be used for HAM someday), and for less than the 75 I'm all set.

The problem is the 19 takes up more room, and I REALLY like the 75 for it's compactness. As we all know, space is at a premium in the FJ.

I don't want to hard-mount a larger CB (like above the rear view mirror) because I'll hardly ever use it. I'm also going to to an overhead console someday.

Ok....someone tell me which CB to buy. I've got quite a few runs coming up in the next few weeks & need to get this done.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Amazon.com: Midland 75-822 Handheld CB Radio with Vehicle Adapter: Electronics

Look at the Midland handheld. Very similar to the Cobra but it has the added feature of being a true battery operated handheld, complete with a shorty (10" antenna) and AA battery pack. You can hardwire it into your truck to power/antenna and then simply detach it when you need to use it outside your truck for short distance TX/RX. I got mine for less than $100 on ebay. It also has weather channels.

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did see that one at Wally world for about $70 I think....that is an option, I can still get in around the $100 mark after an larger antenna....hmmmm

·
Registered
839 Posts
We got the Midland last year for the Summit and noticed that when the convoy got stretched out that the stubby antennae range was a factor. So I installed the Bandi mount, ran a power supply and the antennae cable to the center console a while back. That really increased the range. When not needed just disconnect the CB and the only thing taking up room is the end of the cable that has the antennae connection.

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
Amazon.com: Midland 75-822 Handheld CB Radio with Vehicle Adapter: Electronics

Look at the Midland handheld. Very similar to the Cobra but it has the added feature of being a true battery operated handheld, complete with a shorty (10" antenna) and AA battery pack. You can hardwire it into your truck to power/antenna and then simply detach it when you need to use it outside your truck for short distance TX/RX. I got mine for less than $100 on ebay. It also has weather channels.
This is what I got for about $80 at Walmart. I LOVE the fact that I can use it as a handheld and a truck-mounted unit. It takes up so little space, and I don't have to drill holes to mount it. When I don't need it, it goes into the glove box with room to spare.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Electronics, like anything else is generally a you get what you pay for arena. I went with the Cobra 75 and am happy I did. I had a problem with the speaker in it and returned it to Cobra and got the best customer service I have received on any product in years. The unit works well and gets me 3 miles in the mountains I live in and have never had a problem with reception on the trail. I use a 4' firestick on a Bandi mount. Quick release and a spring.

My advice, spend a little more and get something that wwill last for years and provide you with good range on the trail.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I've ran into more than one person with problems with the Cobra. I haven't heard of any issues with the Midland.

Being able to go portable in a worse case scenario has value.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I got the Midland and it works great.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hey Shane get a big radio, once you have one and you it for a while, you will use it all the time. They can be very handy. Catch ya on the flip flop good buddy.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Hooked up the Uniden Pro510xl under the dash by the ignition for the Thrill On The Hill May 23. Doesn't get in the way at all. Got it on e-bay new for 37 bucks (free shipping). Used a radio shack 18 foot double ended coax 10 bucks. Slit the rubber boot near the left rear hinges fed it through and wound it through the back jack area over the wheelwell and over the gas filler tube, under the left rear seat side plastic panel (remove seat belt bolt to unsnap this) under the plastic door sills and the left front plastic panel under the dash (snap out dead pedal/foot rest to do this). Bandi Mount $49 , radio-shack 64 inch whip $25, Add-a circuit/Pep-Boys $8 for underdash fuse box (grounded to bolt for metal snap bracket on left side panel under dash), Wilcot Heavyduty mount $19 or so, w/Wilcot SS HDSpring. Grand total $173 plus about 20 misc shipping. Works like a charm and it's a clean install, No holes, fuss, or muss. All the plastic interior panels snap back into place. Most expensive thing was the Bandi, but I think a must.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
I have a hand held from Radio Shack, along with a lapel clip speaker/mic and magnetic mount antenna. The CB is in a Case Logic case that hangs from the passenger seat head rest. It works well for me as I don't use it everyday, doesn't take up space when not needed. Then just a couple of minutes to install when I going out with a group. The radio also has the NOAA weather channels.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Another vote for the Midland - hooked up to a Wilson Antenna.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Shane,

Buy all for a magazine test, and give me the one that comes in second place... :lol::lol:

Last year I got a handheld Cobra "Road Trip" for something like $70 at Costco. I had only used it with the stubby antenna and did have people out run my range on occasion (Jeepers in a hurry in Moab). However, I let BlueThunder use it for his trip to Moab, and he took the rooftop antenna and used that. His report was that it worked great, he has used it many times since. You may want to call or PM him for a full review. I have a Cobra 75 sitting in my living room waiting for somebody to get off his a$$ and install it. I will still carry the Road Trip with me for both it's portability, and to loan to someone if need be on trail runs.

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmm...interesting thought Leo. I think I may go w/the midland if it can be had for a decent price. I think the portable could come in handy sometime. Need to get past Angie's B-Day tomorrow before I can make any moves though. Thanks for all the great info everyone!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
here are my thoughts and worth what you paid
walcott cb usually has a great deal on a uniden & mag mount antenna for $75 I think...it has a cigar adapter and u can leave it hm when not in use...
otherwise the midland but use an external mag mount antenna ...I did and it worked well...

good luck and write up your install....
oh and I agree that we need a comm article...
family band, cb, ham review & shoot out...
we did a cb vs ham fireside chat @ sedonafest and had josh R2FJ drive away from camp while everyone gathered around my rig...great chance for for live demo

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
check a local truck stop i got my cobra 75 at a pilot for a whopping $45 works awesome!

·
Registered
80 Posts
For a basic, no frills transceiver that works great, it's hard to beat the Uniden Pro510XL. Put that with a Wilson 1000 or Hustler HQ-27 and you have a reliable system that outperforms many that sell for $100 more.

I don't do 11m any more but I have the above stuff handy in case I decide to.

Hey....KD7....get 75m-capable and look me up on the Possum Net during the wee hours, or catch me on 3.943 MHz around 0900 EDT.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've got the COBRA Hand Held 38 WXST ($75 - $80 at amazon or walcottcb). In the truck I hook it to a 3' Bandi-mounted antenna. I just use rechargeable batteries, charge-em before trips. For occasional use, most any decent hand-held hooked to an external antenna ought to be fine. My .02

1 - 20 of 27 Posts