Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was ordering a set of Nitto trail grapplers M/Ts in 295/70/17 but Discount tire is out of stock and on backorder.

My other options are get the same tire in a 35 series or go for a BFG KM2 in a 285/70/17.

I just ordered a Icon Extended travel Stage 1 kit with LR UCA's. I will be running stock 17" Wheels. I'll be getting wheels next year. So I guess I will be needing the spidertrax wheel spacers to run the 35's and do a body chop mount.

Any other negatives to running a 35 series tire?

Or should I just get the KM2's?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Downsides: Gas mileage is gonna suck.

If it's your daily driver, I would stay away from anything bigger than a 285 especially the way gas prices have gone up lately. Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea I'm pretty sure I decided on the 285's. From what I have read and heard 35's are to much trouble.

33 km2's on order.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
207 Posts
i think if u wanna run 35's u need to really have a 6" lift and a doby mount chop. im sure some fit them with out 6" but alot of trimming.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
i think if u wanna run 35's u need to really have a 6" lift and a doby mount chop. im sure some fit them with out 6" but alot of trimming.
No you can easily fit 35's with a 3 inch lift. You will just need to do a BMC and upper control arms. You may not even need the upper control arms, but it'll drive like sh!t if you put either lift on. Hence the debate over 6" vs 3" because you can fit a 35 on both lifts, and the 3" some say give you the same clearance as a 6" plus you'll have a lower center of gravity.

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
Any other negatives to running a 35 series tire?
Increasing the diameter of the tires that much over stock will make your final gearing quite a bit higher, which will hurt your acceleration and mountain/towing performance, and make your cruise control almost useless (especially on the 5AT transmission). But you can always re-gear your differentials to fix that, it's only money. :)

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
But you can always re-gear your differentials to fix that, it's only money. :)
For those of us with 2010s, that will end up being quite an adventure though. At least until someone finally comes up with a kit for us.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the 295 trail grapplers and the only problem I had with the stock wheel backspacing was rubbing the uca's (no rubbing on the body mounts). I would say that if you have aftermarket uca's you have a good chance of no rubbing at all even without a bmc (especially with 285s which I ran for 40k miles and never had a single issue with rubbing)

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
For those of us with 2010s, that will end up being quite an adventure though. At least until someone finally comes up with a kit for us.
Patience... it'll come out, they won't forget about you guys.

·
Registered
43 Posts
the info in the forum and this thread helped me decide to go with the 285's. I'd been running 265 Nitto TG's for 4 years and recently installed an OME lift with Light Racing UCA's. Had the Nitto TG 285's installed today, look great and no rubbing at all. Thank you all for posting opinions and experiences.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went with 295/70/17's Cooper Discoverer STT's. Really nice looking tire and from all the reviews I have read it seems like I have made a good choice.
Just waiting for my lift and there going on.
Quick pics more to come

1 - 15 of 15 Posts