Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'07 FJ w/ 112,000. I went for an oil change & tire rotation 3000 ago at PeP Boy's(no flaming, only option), when I drove away I had this noise, sounded like they might have not rotated the tire's correctly, this has happened before - the boob not knowing how to rotate tires, not the noise - Anyway, I just figured it would wear in & go away. Well it has not. I just had to get an inspection, went to a much better place, I know the front brake pads were getting thin so I told them to go ahead with the pads & call me if the rotors looked bad. I also told them to rotate the tires again & change the oil again. It's been a few miles & the oil change would have been due soon anyway. I figured the noise would be gone for sure this time. Nope. It sounds exactly the same. It kind of hard to describe the noise, at first I was sure it was tires, then I started thinking & freaking myself out & thought "Rear", it a constant noise & starts when I pull out from dead stop & sounds like it spins & gets a bit louder with speed. Sounds like it follows tire rotation perfectly. When I turn to the left I can feel/hear it a tad more I hear it when turning right as well, but not too bad. The rear would do that as well, right? Could it be an alignment issue? Tire balance issue? (don't have any steering wheel shake) I know most are going to say "just take it to the dealer" & ya, I guess I have no choice, hate the dealership people here, but any ideas? Is it the rear? Thanks

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
They might have bent one of your front brake dust shields. Check the clearance between
the rotor and the shield / spindle and the shield.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
sounds like it could be a wheel bearing too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
+1 on wheel bearing (right front?)

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, both very good suggestions & a relief on my brain. I can only hope it is a dust shield, Wheel bearing makes alot of sence as well. I am so worried it's the rear. Well what ever it turns out to be, the gear oil in the rear is getting changed asap. I'm on my way to a trusted garage mach. now, (he does all the work on my Co.'s fleet trucks), & hope he can tell me what it could be. Thanks again, MAXX

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya, it feels like the right front. I'm leaning towards wheel bearing. I just thank God, & hope it's not the rear. I'll ask here, but how do you check the wheel bearing? I'm going to post another question anyway asking just in case no one re-reads this one. Tanx for da help.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Jack up your front end, so the wheel in question is off the ground. Grab the wheel at 12 and 6 (or anywhere as long as they're opposite sides) and push with one hand and pull with the other at the same time. Alternate back and forth, if the wheel is "wobbly" by anything more than millimeters, your bearings are going bad.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Another possibility could be a CV joint that's going bad.

Get your mechanic to check out the complete front end, given the mileage you stated...

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Joe & Capt., I gotta take it in to the dealership for a full service & get the entire front end checked out. Just for piece of mind. Problem is, I need to drive to Philly on Friday for the weekend. I don't have another car to use. Guess I'll have to risk it.:flame:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Any update on what it was?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The noise kept getting louder up to a certian point. I did end up driving to Philly last weekend & did not have any problems. Forget if I stated this or not, but I did take a Dealer mech. for a ride & he had no idea at all. This was before Philly, they said whatever it is they would have to order parts & that's a day or two right there. Yesterday, Feb. 7, I took it to the shop that did the inspection, (I kind of trust these guy's more than the Dealership people), I took him for a ride, he at least had some ideas on what it could be. He said he'll need to get it up on the lift. I have not heard from him as of yet. As soon as I do know what it is I'll post it up. Again, the sound is like a tread wear type of sound, only louder. It does go along with the wheel speed & that's what's throwing me/us off. Could be wheel bearings, CV, U-joint(no clunk shifting from D to R, but still?), Then I thought about my 'Cuda years ago, the drive shaft went out of balance & it kind of sounds like that too. I should know sometime today.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I bent a front brake dust shield when I did my lift. Sounded like I had really done something much worse. After bending it back out, things were fine.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ya, I'm not that lucky. One of the other posters suggested that & when I had it jacked up I bent them in a little, but no change at all. I wish that was all it was. The shop has had it for over a full day now & I haven't heard a thing, not good. I'll have to stop in & check on it for sure this morning. Didn't get a chance yesterday.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
ding ding ding ding... We have a winner. "brianh" wins, it's wheel bearings. Both side's are bad & it comes with a $600.00 price tag.:mecry: There go's any Mod's that were planned. My question is: Why a trained Toyota mech. at the dealership could not tell what that was? I would think a Toyota tech would know what a bad FJ wheel bearing would sound like, he must have heard one before, right? Matter's not anyway, they are shot & are being replaced as I sit here. Does $600 sound right for a job like that?

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
These unit bearings that most cars use now are expensive.

I haven't replaced them on my FJ but on my old 3/4 ton truck, the wheel bearings were $350/ea just for the parts.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got a 10% fleet discount because my co. uses this place for a lot of work. Even with the 10% it was $600, I figure it would have been a boat load more at the dealer. Oh well, time to move on...BTW: it feels like a brand new truck to me now, maybe because I had to drive a car for a few days & that car had 2 blown shocks in the rear. It's a caddy & it's a really heavy car so every little bump I thought the shock mounts were coming through the trunk. God it's nice to get the FJ back...:cheers:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts