Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well we(Capt. Rick, Karpi71(Tom), slither) spent a couple of hours yesterday afternoon at the world headquarters of Capt Ricks skid shop. Yes the Capt has actually manufactured and built his own operating equipment to facilitate the mass production of his HDPE skids! I am not giving any other detailed information as to his facility but I was amazed at the production equipment he has built from scratch to produce his skids. Tom and Rick, with very little help from me, installed a new set of black HDPE skid on Tom's rig yesterday. I believe this was the first skid made on Ricks equipment. The fit was near perfect but a few more alterations, however very minor in nature, need to be made. Actually the size of one bend will correct the issue. The skid fits very tight to the undercarriage of the FJ. The first continuous piece runs from the front crossmember to the rear of the gas tank with a lip that folds over the rear of the tank for protection. The skid mounting locations are counterbored to accept a bushing, pressed into the skid for strength around the mounting point and allowing a smooth and unobstructed surface. A custom bent and welded cross member supports the skid at the transfer case. Anyone who has been following Ricks thread and is interested in his skid hold tight. He is very close to starting operation, I would say within the next week or two. He also has a front IFS skid that butts up to the rear skid. I actually helped him template and construct the first prototype a couple of weeks ago. I will tell you I was very impressed with what he has done on his own! Just wanted to update everyone and say that production is very close and he is offering a well constucted well thought out product. After further investigation and the actual fabrication of an UHMWPE skid he has opted to use the HDPE. The UHMWPE is actually a little too flexible and gives too much. It does not have the rigidity the HDPE has. Enough for now.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Great news. What is the ballpark price of these?

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great news. What is the ballpark price of these?
Right from the horses mouth "Around $500.00." There will be an inaugural group buy offered so hold on until further details are available.

·
Registered
704 Posts
That is a good price point. Where is this shop located?

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a good price point. Where is this shop located?
Connecticut. One of the first vendors from the Northeast!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Yay east coasters!!! And a very innovative product too.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Pics? :)

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Sweet! Looking forward to additional info on these skids.

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
What's the total weight of a full set of HDPE skids?

How does it hold up to the heat from the exhaust?

Thanks, DEWFPO

·
Registered
504 Posts
i'm really interested in these, hope they come out soon.

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you can get them produced, you should drive a trailer-load of those down to the Mud Fling event this coming weekend.

·
Registered
831 Posts
i was in the market for this but i got to punchy and bought all pros t-case skid so sadly i won't be involved in this purchase but i wish the best of luck to rick in this venture and i will gladly support if he is making stickers.

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
What's the total weight of a full set of HDPE skids?

How does it hold up to the heat from the exhaust?

Thanks, DEWFPO
I'm not exactly sure of the total weight, I believe Rick has weighed them though. I know you can carry the large skid under your arm and mount it yourself. I am going to guess around 50 lbs. Rick mounts and unmounts his in about 15 minutes he's done it so many times. As for heat resistance, the first ones he fabricated he used a propane torch to heat the material. It takes a good few minutes to get the material pliable enough to bend and even then you really have to help it. Exhaust heat has not effected these. The UHMWPE which is supposed to be stronger is actually too pliable and reacts more quickly to heat. This is why Rick has chosen the HDPE to make the skids. Hope this answers you question and he will have an exact weight posted with the launch I'm sure.

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
We're hoping to do a full test of these skids for the July issue of FJC Magazine. Hopefully we'll be able to answer a lot of questions.

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Howdy Shane, your set is sitting on the bench right now. Anyone with questions please PM capt. rick. I am just the public service announcer. He can answer your questions or you can keep this thread alive and he will check in. They're definitely a great alternative to 150 lbs of steel dangling from the bottom of your daily driver!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Glad to hear this got off the ground! I am very interested in a set, and I have no time to make my own!

Thanks for the hard work, guys!

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Some quick questions:
1. Is the guesstimate price for black or natural(white)?
2. Does it come with hardware to bolt up, do you buy your own, do you utilize factory bolts?
3. How much will the skids cover (just the front to the transfer case, gas tank as well)?

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Some quick questions:
1. Is the guesstimate price for black or natural(white)?
2. Does it come with hardware to bolt up, do you buy your own, do you utilize factory bolts?
3. How much will the skids cover (just the front to the transfer case, gas tank as well)?
#1) for black
#2) comes with all the hardware needed for install (some drilling required)
#3) the front skid is from the radiator mount to the 2nd crossmember,
the rear skid is from the 2nd crossmember to the end of gas tank,
I also added a tranfer case crossmember that gets bolted right to the
frame,
also you get more clearance with these skids than any of the others,
I think after bolted up to the belly you lose 1/2 in of clearance,.
It also only weighs 40lbs ...gas saving for sure..Capt.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.