Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Sorry to wander off topic a bit, but has anyone fabricated a fire extinguisher mount, so it could be securely fastened in front of the driver's seat kind of under the knees? I'm thinking that would be the perfect spot in terms of fast and easy access compared to the trunk, but I'm really not into drilling the body floor. Maybe there is a simple solution that I'm missing?

Edit: Geez, the answer is right above... Nevermind, then! :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
:lol: Yep, Refined Cycle :cheers:

I just recently ordered one of the Refined Cycle mounts and it looks and feels great and it shipped fast. Only thing is that it doesn’t seem to fit with the provided spacers if you have the factory rubber floor mats. The mount sits over the top of the edge of the mat where it hooks onto the clips and it is just a little too big to get both provided bolts to seat in properly. I am currently working on finding additional spacers and longer bolts and that should do the trick. Otherwise, great product.

If you look at the pictures of the bracket on the website, it shows it installed without the floor mats.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I just recently ordered one of the Refined Cycle mounts and it looks and feels great and it shipped fast. Only thing is that it doesn’t seem to fit with the provided spacers if you have the factory rubber floor mats. The mount sits over the top of the edge of the mat where it hooks onto the clips and it is just a little too big to get both provided bolts to seat in properly. I am currently working on finding additional spacers and longer bolts and that should do the trick. Otherwise, great product.

If you look at the pictures of the bracket on the website, it shows it installed without the floor mats.
Reach out to Craig the owner of refinedcycle.com and I guarantee he'll make it right so you don't have to search. I own his JM1 jerry can holder and JM2 propane tank holder and his work is top notch!

John

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
I just installed one of the Refined Cycle mounts. With the supplied bolts I was able to remove the floor mat clip and then use the mount to "pinch" the rubber floor mat in place without swapping bolt length. Floor mat doesn't slide around. I gave it my best shot at a review on my build thread. See here (LINK)

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just installed one of the Refined Cycle mounts. With the supplied bolts I was able to remove the floor mat clip and then use the mount to "pinch" the rubber floor mat in place without swapping bolt length. Floor mat doesn't slide around. I gave it my best shot at a review on my build thread. See here (LINK)

Thanks for the replies!

I considered doing that, but I wanted to keep the mat clipped. I was able to get it mounted perfectly by using M10x70mm x 1.25 bolts (could have probably gotten away with 60mm bolts) and 3 jam nuts on each side, in addition to the washer and spacer that are provided with the mount. I’ll post some pics tomorrow when I have some daylight, but I am very pleased with it overall and I would highly recommend it. I am using this one for a Mag Lite and I will probably get another one for an extinguisher soon.

·
Desert Moderator
5,648 Posts
If it's 100* outside, it's 140*+ inside the car. I've been in PHX when it was 115*, I think he's worried about over-pressurization of the extinguisher.
I've never heard of an extinguisher failing / over-pressurizing inside a car. I've heard of and seen the effects of loose fire extinguishers rolling around inside vehicles though...

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,749 Posts
I've never heard of an extinguisher failing / over-pressurizing inside a car. I've heard of and seen the effects of loose fire extinguishers rolling around inside vehicles though...
Aside from accidental discharge, what "effects"? Don't worry mine is mounted, but I do know several people who have theirs "rolling around" :lol:

·
Admin
6,582 Posts
Aside from accidental discharge, what "effects"? Don't worry mine is mounted, but I do know several people who have theirs "rolling around" :lol:
When they go off accidentally they make one helluva mess! :D

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,098 Posts
:rofl:
Rolling under the pedals has an interesting effect....

I had a ‘moment’ with a clipboard throwing itself off the console and wedging under the brake as I approached a chicane on a test track flat out in a fire tender... extinguisher would have had similar effect...(not my clipboard or tender:laugh)...guys in the rear went very quiet for a moment... :rofl:

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
Stuff rolling around can become deadly projectiles in the case of sudden collisions, roll overs, etc.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,749 Posts
:rofl:
Rolling under the pedals has an interesting effect....

I had a ‘moment’ with a clipboard throwing itself off the console and wedging under the brake as I approached a chicane on a test track flat out in a fire tender... extinguisher would have had similar effect...(not my clipboard or tender:laugh)...guys in the rear went very quiet for a moment... :rofl:
Good point - better make sure that mount has a good grip on the smaller extinguisher I plan to put in the drivers footwell - it'll be in shooting distance of that "under the pedals" zone if it gets loose! Perfect storm if depressing the brake pedal also got the extinguisher to discharge :jester:

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,749 Posts
Stuff rolling around can become deadly projectiles in the case of sudden collisions, roll overs, etc.
Yes indeed! I'm careful to keep things strapped down but have seen shocking examples of carelessness...maybe this discussion will serve as a reminder :wink

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
Yes indeed! I'm careful to keep things strapped down but have seen shocking examples of carelessness...maybe this discussion will serve as a reminder :wink
It's amazing how much stuff can quickly fly over the seats and bounce off of you and the dash with the simple act of stomping on the brakes to avoid a Bull Elk in the middle of a road on a blind corner or the deer that launches itself off the small bank to the side of you and loses it's life when you run over it. I did find a couple of missing items though.

·
Desert Moderator
5,648 Posts
Aside from accidental discharge, what "effects"? Don't worry mine is mounted, but I do know several people who have theirs "rolling around"
Just accidental discharge - ABC dry powder coming out the windows, driver staggering out covered in white powder coughing & spluttering...

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,749 Posts
My son had an ammo can he was using as a tool box that smaked him in the head when he rolled his rock rig. Fasten them fire extinguishers.
Ouch! Something that heavy could've really hurt him. Anything loose can injure in a collision or rollover! Among other things happening, a can of cat food gave me a nasty head injury when it flew from the the cargo area grocery bag in a head-on crash at 70mph....it was one of the small cans, so just imagine what a fire extinguisher could do..... :frown

41 - 60 of 63 Posts