Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering who uses their FJ for hauling their toy automobiles around. how much weight and what trailer. my Firehawk sits low to the ground and is about 3400lbs. i'm looking for a light weight trailer for the occasional trip to the track & strip... and we all love seeing pictures! :bigthumb: if you happen to have any available :D

·
Registered
574 Posts
I used to do this back when I had a Hemi Ram 1500.

IMO this is too much weight for an FJ. My trailer was a lighter steel one and it was about 1500 lbs. My car was about 3800. Add in all the other gear and I was close to 6000.

If you want to pay twice as much, you could cut some weight with an aluminum trailer, but it would still be quite a load.

The FJ engine, transmission, suspension, and braking system really are not designed for such things.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
I would Have to Agree. You can tow 5000# but once you add the wieght of your Car, Trailer(even a aluminum one) and any gear and Passangers, You will have well exceeded the FJs limits... Yes it will tow it... But if something happens, Or you get snagged By DOT and scaled you will be Screwed hard with Fines. ANd Im not even reffering to if your In a accident! Thats a whole nother Mess. Car Dolly would be the only way I would tow your Car.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
IMHO, although I "could" be done, I don't think it's wise to use the FJ as a car hauler (especially if you're approaching or exceeding the max GVWR of 5k lbs). Not only are there significant safety issues, you'd be putting a HUGE strain on your drive trail and braking system which could both be damaged (or fail) by pulling that amount of weight.

FWIW, I'd use my F250 (or equivalent) instead. :wave:

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you guys... guess i'll be using my buddies 2500 instead

1 - 5 of 5 Posts