Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this has probably been answered already so work with me. i was wondering if there are any car waxes that can be used in direct sunlight. i have a driveway without an overhang car port and i was wondering if i could wax my fj there or not. if there is a wax i can use if you could tell me where to get it.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I just bought some Turtle Wax Ice and it said you can use it in direct sun. I tried the quick spray wax stuff and used it in direct sun to polish up the bumpers and had no issues whatsoever. It worked well.

I bought it on recommendation from several members of this board.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I just bought some Turtle Wax Ice and it said you can use it in direct sun. I tried the quick spray wax stuff and used it in direct sun to polish up the bumpers and had no issues whatsoever. It worked well.

I bought it on recommendation from several members of this board.
I use Turtle Wax Ice myself and it has worked great for me! I also like Meguiars Gold Class Wax Liquid. It always polished my show vehicles up real nice and I always used it in direct sun light. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I like Griot's Garage Best of Show wax. Very easy to work with, smells great, and lasts a while.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Poorboys products are designed for using them in direct sunlight. One of the few products that are.

·
Registered
155 Posts
turtle wax ice is not great, but if it is all you have to use then go for it. you could also get a quick shade/ez up for some shade. don't forget there are other steps besides just a wax which may not be able to be done in the sun.

1SIKFJC:
i am originally from chino hills. never see any other fjs when i am down visiting family.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Turtle Wax ICE has worked the best for me, and so far no paint damage!!!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
155 Posts
the trutle wax ice is a polish isnt it, is that going to be hard on the paint. by that i mean doenst polish take off paint, pleases educate me on this
nothing should take paint off unless it is rubbing compound. paint shouldn't come off anyways because there is a clear coat over the paint so if you see paint on the applicator or cloth then you have [email protected]#ked up. with the 3 steps the cleaner does exactly what it is called and cleans the surface. after that, polish is what gives the shine to the surface and then the wax protects the surface and all of your hard work.

·
Registered
476 Posts
this has probably been answered already so work with me. i was wondering if there are any car waxes that can be used in direct sunlight. i have a driveway without an overhang car port and i was wondering if i could wax my fj there or not. if there is a wax i can use if you could tell me where to get it.
All good answers but after owning a car detail business for five years I can tell you the best way to do it is by hand in the early morning before it gets too hot. Heat and wax don't mix. I like to do it by hand because it allows you really work the wax into the paint, plus when it comes to taking it off you can feel any wax you might miss with a buffer. Apply in sections. Working from the top down. I would use Mother's Paste wax. It is safe on all clear coats and works on well and lasts for about 6 months. Just reapply two times a year and everything will be ok.

Other than that, enjoy your FJ.

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
I use the Ice products too and really like them! They are pretty "user friendly" for our FJ's too. Just my 2 cents worth....

·
Registered
92 Posts
I use Meguiars Gold Class Wax Liquid, however I thought just about all waxes were suppose to be used when the car metal was cool?

I know someone mentinoned that one of the waxes could be used, however doesn't the temp of the car metal have something to do with it as well.

LOL, I am very non mechanical so just ignore me if I am wrong:cheers:

Good luck

:cheers:

P.S. I am about 1 month post op from bicep and Rotator cuff surgery, so about 2 weeks ago (making it 2 weeks post op, and loaded with pain killers), I waxed my entire FJ (roof and all), even wheels, no plastic). Of course I didn't use my bad arm, that was sweating to death in my sling that is made like a loveseat.

My good arm felt like it was about to fall off, dah.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
If they aren't down to the metal, you'll need to buff them down and fill it. Careful with clear coat. You should visit a car paint care site. Getting rid of scratches, swirls, and pin strips is science. Various stages of polish sometimes is needed, but the idea is to use the least abrasive polish to smooth out the scratch as possible. Unless the scratch is very deep, you usually can polish it out by hand. Machines can speed up the work, but you need to be somewhat experienced or you can introduce swirls or even burn through the paint.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Ice rules!!! I just did the whole rig on Saturday with the liquid ice, an I mean everything but the glass, and tires and it looks great.

BirdMan

·
Registered
155 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
I use Gliptone since 1942 Its been refomulated though so it doesnt go on as thick as it use to be. A big mistake by the company. The one thing I liked about the old formula it was like you put 4 coats of wax with one.Now its thin, sort of like run of the mill waxes.
But it works in the sun and wipes off TOO EASY thats the problem.The old formula was work to get it off but it put down a thick coat. I specialy ordered it and didnt know they changed it. I paid 17.00 for the can too. If only customers would rise up and say they want the old stuff back,they should remove their 1942 and say NOW new lazy man formula 2008

1 - 20 of 20 Posts