Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This is my first post here. I am avid FJ fan from Georgia (country), and I am about to purchase an FJ from auction which had an accident, and has frontal damage.
The listing says that car won't start and run, but I can't understand why. See pics below:

To me the visible damage seems minimal, and I can easily fix that, but why do you think this car won't start?

Any ideas?

Auction ends tomorrow and I have to decide to risk it or not.

Thank you very much!

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
Assuming the battery is good order and charged, possible the 120a fuse is blown?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Assuming the battery is good order and charged, possible the 120a fuse is blown?
Hi Mikey,

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately I have no chance to check that yet, but I'll keep that in mind.

Do you think there might be some mechanical issues, like cracked engine, gearbox or some issues with differential from this kind of impact?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Is it an optical illusion or does the engine look like its leaning to the drivers side? Obviously I don`t know your mechanical skill level but make sure your frame isn`t bent. Looks like a real nice FJ though . Good Luck :)

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
I would look very closely at that front corner to see exactly what is damaged.

There is a crossmember behind the front bumper cover - see if you look at for any damage, hopefully it was just the cover that was destroyed.

Not sure how close you can look at it but if you can I would bring a flashlight and mirror and get down and dirty and look for any obvious signs of fluid leaks.

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
Is it an optical illusion or does the engine look like its leaning to the drivers side? Obviously I don`t know your mechanical skill level but make sure your frame isn`t bent. Looks like a real nice FJ though . Good Luck :)
Looks like the engine cover is tilted from the airbox being shifted

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like the engine cover is tilted from the airbox being shifted
Yeah, I've noticed that also. How is that cover fixed on the engine? Is it just kind of clicked in place? Maybe it just jumped out of it's place from the force of impact.

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
Not sure on the new FJ's, the older FJ's it would hook into the back had 2 10mm nuts towards the front that held it in place.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,098 Posts
That looks like a late MY as I don’t think anything earlier than 2013 had the emissions pump (front left of pic) If so I would think it is more than the superficial damage to have it ended up in auction rather than insurance repair (beyond economic cost) which would suggest the frame is bent or something expensive

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Does the FJ have an impact switch for the fuel pump? Several other vehicles that I've worked on or owned had this. It turns off the fuel pump after an impact in case a fuel line is damaged so that it won't contribute to a fire.

Okay I found this in the owners manual. If this switch activated it is self resetting. Turn the key off then back on, so this likely isn't the problem.

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
That looks like a late MY as I don’t think anything earlier than 2013 had the emissions pump (front left of pic) If so I would think it is more than the superficial damage to have it ended up in auction rather than insurance repair (beyond economic cost) which would suggest the frame is bent or something expensive
Being at an auction does not mean it came from insurance. Could be a repo, from a tow company who sent it to recoup their money after not being claimed, could be a court ordered sale for a divorce....who knows.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi ZerosFJ,

Indeed this is a 2014 model, and it is being sold by USAA insurance company. Bent frame isn't an issue, as I can easily fix that with robot. I am more afraid of any possible physical damages to engine, gearbox or differential.
Right wheel seems to be in place, so I think there shouldn't be issues with axles, control arms etc..

Auction states the following:

Primary Damage: MECHANICAL
Secondary Damage: FRONT END

Nothing else.. so this is kind of blind bet for me, as I'll be importing this vehicle into another Country.

Can't decide what to do....

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Yes. I looked in my owners manual but is says that it resets by turning the key off, then back on.

But mine is an '07, so things may have changed on the later models.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,098 Posts
Hi ZerosFJ,

Indeed this is a 2014 model, and it is being sold by USAA insurance company. Bent frame isn't an issue, as I can easily fix that with robot. I am more afraid of any possible physical damages to engine, gearbox or differential.
Right wheel seems to be in place, so I think there shouldn't be issues with axles, control arms etc..

Auction states the following:

Primary Damage: MECHANICAL
Secondary Damage: FRONT END

Nothing else.. so this is kind of blind bet for me, as I'll be importing this vehicle into another Country.

Can't decide what to do....
Well only you can decide on that gamble and that depends on the price you have to pay for it. From the photo’s everything in the engine bay and the front drivetrain look straight except for the cover but its a bit like looking at an undamaged box full of china that you know got dropped....you've no idea what’s intact until you open the box...good luck!

·
Registered
150 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Saw that too. Surprised it was totaled based on visual damage. And just because auction ends tomorrow, doesn’t mean it will sell. Have to see it in person. Not worth the risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hate to ask a stupid question. Is it a chipped key? I have keys that are not chipped that I use for backup to get into the vehicle. I have a chipped key hidden inside the car. The prior owner may have done something similar and given the insurance company the effing wrong key. Does it turn over but just not start? It may be as simple as finding a hidden key or getting a new key programmed.

It's hard to believe the damage is severe if the radiator is not even damaged. I just looked at mine, slapped a level on it an it definitely is not level. The picture may exaggerate the effect, especially if you were using a wide angle lens.

It is an auction. How much were you going to bid? If you can pick it up for a couple of thou, if you have the skills and have a place to work on it would be worth it. Also check for rust, total miles and stuff like that. Don't get fixated on just the visible damage.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
It’s at 5600 with 12 hrs to go. And “may have a reserve price”. Doesn’t look like airbags deployed. And they have an OEM key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 23 Posts