Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all -

I am new here, and very interested in the FJ Cruiser (love both the looks and the functionality.) I have a question - because I can't find it ANYWHERE, can anyone tell me the actual dimensions of the cargo area in inches with the seats folded down? (All I can find is the cubic feet volume number. I'm looking for length x width as I am trying to figure out if i can fit my two dog crates in there.)

Thanks in advance for any help - I really appreciate it!

Christina

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
how big are your dogs? and how big are the crates? i have a large lab/hound and he and his crate can fit in the rear if this helps.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Good timing. I just cut out a rubber mat for the rear cargo area yesterday.The rear section is 42x30 up to the seats when they're up, with the seats down its 60 inches long BUT there is a hump in there right where the back of the seats end. so here is the whole deal starting at the back of the FRONT seats
It's 53 inches wide for 14 inches then it tapers down to 42 inches in the next 10 inches then it is 42 inches wide going down the 6 inch hump and 42 inches wide for the last 30 inches going back to the back door.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, StringMachine and Ridgerunner! I appreciate the feedback, very helpful. It seems that the dimensions WILL work for my crates. They're pretty big crates because they're for Rhodesian Ridgebacks, which are pretty big dogs! I'm pretty excited about the FJ though, so even if they didn't fit I'd probably find a way to adapt. (Put the dogs in harnesses, for example - safety first - and get durable collapsible soft-sided crates.) Looking to buy one in September, when my LR3 lease is up.

Thanks again!

c

B

·
0 Posts
I am only able to do approximate measurements as all my gear stays back there and wasn't about to move it all to take measurements.:lol: Also, the shape of the cargo area is not rectangular but irregular and that the cargo floor is not flat throughout.

56" - Length from rear door to folded forward passenger seats. There is a transition ramp from the flat cargo area to the back of the folded rear seats. Its about 6" long and lays at a roughly 35 degree incline. Then the back of the rear seats also does not lay flat but at about a 10 degree incline from horizontal and is 23" or so long.
30" - Length of the FLAT area of the cargo area
43" - Narrowest width of cargo area
39"-40" - Ceiling height from flat cargo area

Rear door opening:
43" - Width
34"-35" - Height, center of opening is higher

The cargo area would be much more useful for me if the rears seats folded completely flat. :(

·
Registered
92 Posts
Great thread,

I will be getting my FJ some time this year, and I have a German Shepherd that I want to keep crated as well.

Thanks everyone for posting the info:rocker:

I will be selling my Rubicon, I keep him harnessed back there, however not crated (crate would be much safer), crate won't fit for him.

I caged the sides with crate dividers, he is a former schutzhund dog.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Christina,

I shop at this websight...

Ray Allen: Professional K-9 Equipment

It has some interesting items for transport and kennels (from a/c coil vents that lead to a crate, to kennels, etc).

Just look under products and k9 transport and kennel accessories.

Just a thought, I know there are a ton more websights out there with other items as well, if your looking for other items.

Jack

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, Jack -

That's a great site for dog stuff, thanks for passing it along!

Your shepherd is gorgeous. And schutzhund background too - I'm impressed!

Keep me posted on your FJ dog setup when you get it - I'll do the same!

Christina

·
Kajun Kim
5,489 Posts
Thanks, StringMachine and Ridgerunner! I appreciate the feedback, very helpful. It seems that the dimensions WILL work for my crates. They're pretty big crates because they're for Rhodesian Ridgebacks, which are pretty big dogs! I'm pretty excited about the FJ though, so even if they didn't fit I'd probably find a way to adapt. (Put the dogs in harnesses, for example - safety first - and get durable collapsible soft-sided crates.) Looking to buy one in September, when my LR3 lease is up.

Thanks again!

c
Christine, if it is any help, I have 3 dogs that I tote around back there. I have 2 Border Collies and a mixed up mess for the 3d one. All are around the 45 to 50 pound mark. They all do really well back there.

The only thing I do differently anymore is I bought one of those portable ramps to help my 10 year old get in and out. I can lift her up but I feel she likes the ability to get in and out on her own. I also have a 3" lift on my rig so they are going up an additional 3" to get in and out.

Good luck and WELCOME!

Kim

·
Registered
288 Posts
I think that height may be your main issue with crates.

I think you would be better off with one of the wire crates that are collapsable because the door is the lowest point (until you get to the hump where the seats are folded down).

I don't have dimensions on height, but someone else might.

GPWDFJ

·
Kajun Kim
5,489 Posts
Great thread,

I will be getting my FJ some time this year, and I have a German Shepherd that I want to keep crated as well.

Thanks everyone for posting the info:rocker:

I will be selling my Rubicon, I keep him harnessed back there, however not crated (crate would be much safer), crate won't fit for him.

I caged the sides with crate dividers, he is a former schutzhund dog.

Man, I have to say, that is one GOOD LOOKIN shepherd! Welcome on board and post up those picks when you get your rig!

Kim

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
I can stuff 6 / 6O" long x 6Oyard rolls of fleece in the back end when I am heading to my manufacturer. Hmmm? another [point to self] reason to get a back-up camera.

Reactions: HeliSniper

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Has anyone put a scooter/moped in the back of their FJ? I'm trying to figure out if its possible.
Laying down with the rear seat cushions removed, if I want it upright, I have to put it on the roof rack.:rofl:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts