Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this Yakima SkyBox Cargo Box 18. Its huge & hold a lot of gear. It came off my old SUV, I'm used to packing it for camping and it keeps bugs off, everything out of the weather, locked & secured. I always empty it upon setting up base camp.

Well, the attachment clamps on the cargo box dont tighten enough to grip the stock FJ Crossbars.
I don't want to spend $400 on another Thule cross bar that will raise this another 2" into the air either.

So I took a 26" bicycle tube, cut it into 4 equal pieces, one for each clamp, wrapped the cross member tightly and clamped it down. It feels like it should work, but I'll keep my eyes on it every hour as I stop to refuel. This has to cost me at least 1.5 MPG's!

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was doing some research today about this exact topic. Hoping to pick up the Skybox16 or 18 at REI's winter sale this weekend. How do the FJ's stock crossbars hold up to carrying this box? I can't tell if they are very sturdy, or just passable to hold a cargo box. Would it benefit any by getting the Yakima crossbars? I'm not really sure which model of their's to get though. The black FJ+Skybox looks awesome in your pic btw!

·
Registered
398 Posts
I was doing some research today about this exact topic. Hoping to pick up the Skybox16 or 18 at REI's winter sale this weekend. How do the FJ's stock crossbars hold up to carrying this box? I can't tell if they are very sturdy, or just passable to hold a cargo box. Would it benefit any by getting the Yakima crossbars? I'm not really sure which model of their's to get though. The black FJ+Skybox looks awesome in your pic btw!
I have a Thule Pulse from my old car that I threw on my FJ last winter. Drove it around for a while with no issues. I don't know how the mounting hardware differs from Yakima, but Thules are certainly compatible with FJ crossbars 👌

Dan

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure that all Thule and Yakima boxes are compatible. I was mostly wondering if the OEM crossbars are sturdy enough to support a full load in the box.
Somewhat related.... I tried driving my FJ in to the parking garage at Universal Studios last week, and tore a crossbar straight off the rack on a low hanging pipe. It didn't break the bar or the attachments, but it did get pretty scuffed up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts