Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
15,727 Posts

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Although this glass cockpit display looks very cool, for my kind of remote wheeling there is no way I would willingly install such a SPOF (single point of failure) for EVERY instrument and indicator. Imagine every data point supplied by your cluster, including fuel status, trip odos, powertrain readouts, 4WD status, fluid overheat indicators, etc., all running though an aftermarket display that I doubt has had the same reliability testing as OEM Toyota.

Now imagine the new display suddenly going black out in the bush. How much fuel do you have? Er, no gauge. You think no problem, check trip ODO that you reset every fuel stop. Er, that's gone too.

Now if you have Torque Pro running through your OBD2 port, you could use that as your Standby Instrument System for most critical readouts. And for those who don't do really remote wheeling, this should be fine.

Even so, for me the coolness factor isn't worth the SPOF.

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Although this glass cockpit display looks very cool, for my kind of remote wheeling there is no way I would willingly install such a SPOF (single point of failure) for EVERY instrument and indicator. Imagine every data point supplied by your cluster, including fuel status, trip odos, powertrain readouts, 4WD status, fluid overheat indicators, etc., all running though an aftermarket display that I doubt has had the same reliability testing as OEM Toyota.

Now imagine the new display suddenly going black out in the bush. How much fuel do you have? Er, no gauge. You think no problem, check trip ODO that you reset every fuel stop. Er, that's gone too.

Now if you have Torque Pro running through your OBD2 port, you could use that as your Standby Instrument System for most critical readouts. And for those who don't do really remote wheeling, this should be fine.

Even so, for me the coolness factor isn't worth the SPOF.
Yep, that would be my major concern also.

Reactions: Sanderhawk

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Fancy tech for mall crawlers and show trucks, they have issues in cold weather they become unreliable at 7 Degrees F. and black out at -3 when we tested one. some functions were just slow. if they had top quality parts and assembly it would be a great product but reliability just is not there. Same build quality as them 12" stereo units for the FJ.

·
Registered
Fj cruiser & Charger Hellcat
16 Posts
I'm curious if anyone here has installed this digital dashboard (search yielded zilch). FJ CRUISER digital dash &TPMS(For TOYOTA FJ 2007-2021 ) - CAROBOTOR

Looks pretty plug and play, but are there any issues we should know about?

View attachment 1161626
hi there,

just got mine few days back , am trying to install this and keep you updated for any issue’s, just now my main concerns is the buttons on the steering as al them are linked to my 12.3 unit and functional fine, just i need to figure how i would retain the same function with the new dash to be controlled on ? I saw carobotor posting buttons which are 5 buttons extra in oem look i wonder if they figure this out yet, also i bought the tpms with them as my fj 2011 doesn’t have this feature.

edit : installed and never felt better, they are very colorful in person and the response of the RPM and speed are accurate,

E6C78D3D-46FD-4C04-B626-93D90F22916A.jpeg 76DEEC05-D032-4641-B898-6A3ECE1C526D.jpeg 4B672EBF-FC16-4F40-8B55-5665119C6A3F.jpeg CDF9DDEC-6BAC-443B-882B-3F917E5C49CE.jpeg 707AEDAA-AA84-4B83-BDDD-6A175950E604.jpeg
E6C78D3D-46FD-4C04-B626-93D90F22916A.jpeg
76DEEC05-D032-4641-B898-6A3ECE1C526D.jpeg
4B672EBF-FC16-4F40-8B55-5665119C6A3F.jpeg
CDF9DDEC-6BAC-443B-882B-3F917E5C49CE.jpeg
707AEDAA-AA84-4B83-BDDD-6A175950E604.jpeg

·
Registered
37 Posts
hi there,

just got mine few days back , am trying to install this and keep you updated for any issue’s, just now my main concerns is the buttons on the steering as al them are linked to my 12.3 unit and functional fine, just i need to figure how i would retain the same function with the new dash to be controlled on ? I saw carobotor posting buttons which are 5 buttons extra in oem look i wonder if they figure this out yet, also i bought the tpms with them as my fj 2011 doesn’t have this feature.

edit : installed and never felt better, they are very colorful in person and the response of the RPM and speed are accurate,

View attachment 1162977 View attachment 1162978 View attachment 1162979 View attachment 1162980 View attachment 1162981 View attachment 1162977 View attachment 1162978 View attachment 1162979 View attachment 1162980 View attachment 1162981
I don't have steering wheel controls so I wonder if it can be set up without them?

·
Registered
Fj cruiser & Charger Hellcat
16 Posts
I don't have steering wheel controls so I wonder if it can be set up without them?
hi there ,

you can’t without the buttons, as once you boot up the screen, there will be inputs need to be navigated through them ,after month of installing it am gonna say am happy and also i installed the tpmsas mine didn’t have them in first place just i think there is general issue with the light on the dash of tpms icon won’t go away even though the reading are functional fine and have the reading on the dash, i think Carobotor needs to release update to fix on that issue, also if they able to try todo an update to include features of sand/desert theme, maintenance millage for differential fluid, transmission fluid, intake filter that would be very nice 👍🏻

1 - 10 of 10 Posts