Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After quite a while of lusting over the idea of a built-in carPC, I finally decided to build one. I like the idea of having everything built into one unit with the ability to customize and change software at will. With a carPC I was able to do this at about half the cost of a high end head unit.

This website and their forums has a lot of good information and products if you want to find out more about carPCs: MP3Car.com - Your source for mobile computing solutions! - All Blog Entries

Hardware that I used:

Lilliput 7" touchscreen LCD with double din housing
VoomPC-2 enclosure
Intel Mini-ITX Motherboard with Integrated Atom™ Processor
M2-ATX 160W Intelligent DC-DC PSU
160GB Harddrive
2gb Ram
USGlobalSat GPS
HD Radio reciever
Elmscan OBDII scan tool (on order)

Software:

Windows XP (yes it is windows based but that is the most supported OS for a lot of the CarPC software)
RideRunner Frontend w/DigitalFX skin
Garmin Mobile PC navigation
I haven't decided what software to use for offroad navigation. There are several topographic software packages available but they cost $$. I may end up using Google Earth since it is free.

Install pics:
The PC and amp are mounted to the backside of my cargo box. I then ran the wires underneath to the center console and up the dash.

The main screen:

MP3 browser and playlist:

HD Radio:

Navigation (using Garmin software):

Weather:

This screenshot of the installation of Google Earth shows how cleanly it fits in the dash:

Games:

I'm still working through all the little software issues but so far I like how it works. This not a project for someone that just wants to install something and it work perfectly the first time. There is quite a bit of tinkering and frustration to make all the hardware and software work like it should.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Car PCS are cool, but I think I'd wire in a netbook into my FJ before buying a official "CAR PC" double din, too many software issues, though they are quite cool. I'm not a huge fan of apple, but that new mini-mac book cube thingy that is basically a tiny computer could in the future have a spot in cars I'd think, you could stuff it behind the dash pretty easily, wire it to a monitor, and if if someone creates the software for it to use touch-screen (assuming it doesn't already) bam.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice setup....what kind of screen is it? Any pics of how it is mounted?
Does your setup have HD radio too?
The screen is a Lilliput EBY-701 that has been dissembled and mounted in a double din frame. It mounts just like any double din head unit would mount using the stock brackets and a fit kit. I found it on Ebay. I don't have pics of how it is mounted but you can see it sitting on the dash in the install pics.

For a radio I am using a Directed DMHD1000 HD radio receiver. I found a company that makes a lot of specialized cables for carPCs and he had one that allows you to connect the receiver to the PC via a serial connection. This allows you to control the receiver through the carPC software.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Excellent job. I have been following some of the other carpc's on this forum and can't wait to do my own set up. Were there any specific threads on MP3Car.com you got mounting ideas from?

I have one problem, what vehicle to put it in? The 80 or the FJC? I would be nice to have one it each but I have too little time and even less money.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent job. I have been following some of the other carpc's on this forum and can't wait to do my own set up. Were there any specific threads on MP3Car.com you got mounting ideas from?

I have one problem, what vehicle to put it in? The 80 or the FJC? I would be nice to have one it each but I have too little time and even less money.
Mounting is so vehicle specific and I didn't see any FJCs installs on MP3Car.com so I had to figure it out for myself. The site is great for figuring out hardware and software issues.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Awesome job, Kudos for taking this on!!!

Just a couple of questions, since I am considering this myself.
Is there a keyboard? Or do you enter text much like an Iphone? Also where did you put the actual motherboard encl.? Do you still have a DVD/CD drive, and/or where do you put the DVD's/CD's in?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Is there a keyboard? Or do you enter text much like an Iphone? Also where did you put the actual motherboard encl.? Do you still have a DVD/CD drive, and/or where do you put the DVD's/CD's in?
The PC itself is mounted to my cargo box/sleep platform. Depending on what enclosure you choose, you may be able to put it under a seat or in the space behind the rear panels.

The front end software includes an on screen keyboard so I don't keep a keyboard attached. I do have a small keyboard that I can plug in if needed but I only use it when doing software installs or if there is a problem with the PC.

I found that I never used the CD Drive since all my music is in MP3 format. I keep a small slim drive in the glove box just in case. Someone else on the forums mounted a slot load drive in the center console.

·
Registered
364 Posts
looks very useful more so than the kenwood 7140 I just installed. I like the fact that it appears you have weather on demand and access to the web on the fly.
If I could figure a way to display my Iphone on a 7" screen and had the speed needed instead of the 56k 3g I would be all over it, something I have yet to look into but it has sparked the idea

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I've been thinking about getting one of these for a keyboard:

Mini-Key USB Wireless Keyboard PS3-0326

·
Registered
6 Posts
THATS AWSOME!!!!! I LOVE THE CARPUTER SETUP.
I AM PLANNING TO PUT A CARPUTER IN MY FJ AS WELL.
I HAVE THE COMPUTER, THE SCREEN, JUST NEED TO POWER IT UP AND GET A DASH KIT FRO THE RADIO. BUT THE SCREEN I HAVE GOES INTO A SINGLE DIN RAIDO AND POPS UP.. THE SCREEN IS THE......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts