Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well where to start.I wanted a computer in my FJ for trips(getting ready for Ouray)But wasn't happy with the performance of a cheap laptop,And the expensive ones still didn't have the size hard drive that i wanted.The double din carputers were the same to slow not a big enough hard drive,and very expensive.And really didn't like that the inside wouldn't look stock.Where i work it seams that allmost every week there is a car that gets broken into.So i got a alarm and figured if it looked stock from a glance that the odds of it not getting broken into.Maybe just in my head but that was my thought.So i was kicking around the idea and came up with a plan.I remembered when i had the FJ apart when i was installing my air compressor and tank,that there was allot of hiding places behind the panels.So i picked out the hardware that i wanted and started to make a small alluminum box,Just big enough to mount the motherboard and hard drive.Well almost $100 bucks later.I figured i would start looking behind the panels and find a place to mount it.

This is where the fun starts!!!The box wont fit any where.At this time i am starting to think what a mistake and should have just went with the cheap laptop,But noooo i wanted a custom one.But seeing that i couldn't return all the hardware i figured to try a different aproach.Started to think why the hell i need a box anyways.I DON"T NEED NO STINKING BOXES!!!! So i figured try to think out side the box :) This is what i came up with.

I will have some more final picks of the install soon.Here are the specs of the Carputer.
Windows XP home
VIA SN18000G motherboard 1.8Ghz 800FSB
Patriot 667 DDR2 4GB
Maxtor 1TB sata hard drive
PICO 125W power supply
Lilliput 8" touchscreen
Wireless keyboard
CD/DVD drive

Stay posted i have to take some more pics,just finished it today :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Very impressive for a project that appeared to have a different path set for it. Are you worried about heat buildup over the tranny or not really? I saw the fan but I know its going to retain a fair amount of heat under there. Awesome install and :thinkerg:idea.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Awesome. What kinds of uses do you have in mind for the 'puter'?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Looking good so far. I'm interested in what kind of screen you've got for it. Size? Touchscreen?
All in all, very cool.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Nice job on the install, good thinking!!!:rocker::cheers:

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Windows XP Home? How about XP Vehicle?
Excellent idea, nice install, looking forward to seeing the display and final photos!

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
Way to think outside the box. :bigthumb:

Love the install so far very creative in your layout and you got tons of stuff installed under there. Where are you going to install/mount the screen?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
here are some finished pics.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some pics of the mount stowed away when not in use.Thanks guys for all the kind words this project kicked my ass,and it is nice to hear people say good job.Please feel free to ask any questions .

·
Registered
464 Posts
Wow, really awesome job. I'm jealous. Now all you need is an air card and you'll be able to surf the fjcruiserforums from whever you go (almost). :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
VERY cleverly done. I'd thought that empty console space would be good to hide valuables temporarily left in the vehicle, but it'd never occurred to me to mount a PC there. Great job.

My favorite part of your mount is the screen. You found a way to place it in useable reach, and not get in the way of the head unit, etc. This is so much better than those flat PC mounts that prevent using the rest of the panel controls, etc.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well so far so good.2 things have surfaced so far.My wireless keyboard uses 2.4GHz and makes my GPS not work.Turn off the computer and it works fine.That sucks my electric componets arn't playing nice with each other.I tried to fix it the red neck way i figured the the signal from the keyboard send/reciever was to strong so to test i tried to wrap it with tin foil,to weaken the signal no change:( The computer works fine so far but it does get warm in there i might have to fall back on my backup plan with forced air from the A/C.I have to get cheap temp gauge and put in there.Will post any new findings as soon as i figure it out.Running out of time Ouray is allmost here.Thanks again for checking out my carputer.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Well so far so good.2 things have surfaced so far.My wireless keyboard uses 2.4GHz and makes my GPS not work.Turn off the computer and it works fine.That sucks my electric componets arn't playing nice with each other.I tried to fix it the red neck way i figured the the signal from the keyboard send/reciever was to strong so to test i tried to wrap it with tin foil,to weaken the signal no change:( The computer works fine so far but it does get warm in there i might have to fall back on my backup plan with forced air from the A/C.I have to get cheap temp gauge and put in there.Will post any new findings as soon as i figure it out.Running out of time Ouray is allmost here.Thanks again for checking out my carputer.
If you need a temp gauge, I have some that I have pulled out of cases we are trashing at work. They are blue when lit, have just power and a probe. If you would like one, send me a pm with your address and I'll send you one.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update,Tried to relocate the send recieve for the keyboard no change with the GPS.I even disconected it and same thing.So i guess when i get back from ouray i will have to get a relocation anttenna for the GPS.I guess there is some sort of electromagnetic disturbance inside the cab from the computer.Not sure way it isn't working while the computer is on.So far the carputer has worked great,but does get pretty warm.But no blue screen of death yet.My idea for the forced air cooling from the rear floor A/C not going so well.I would have to remove the floor vent.I have tried removing the seat and pull up the rubber floor mat but can't figure out how to remove it.Iff i find out something new before i head to Ouray i will let you guys know.:cheers:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Couple thoughts on your heat issues.
- See if there are any options in your BIOS to scale back performance. For example hard drives etc. More Performance = more heat
- In the Power Options in XP turn off the hard drive after X minutes of inactivity.

Once you get some more cooling going you can ramp these back up again. Good luck!

·
Banned
2,051 Posts
Im curious if ANY of the car computer people, or people who mount amplifiers under the seats ever do ANY water crossings, or perhaps ANY real wheeling where liquid mud would seep into the passenger cabin. Dont you dare say you NEVER get stuck.

One big reason I would never mount anything electrical under the seats is the ever possibility of 2 or 3 inches of water in the cabin.

I like this approach though.. quite innovative.

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
VERY NICE... I have been meaning to do this for
a while to the FJ... I had one setup in my dodge
a few years ago before I traded it in on the FJ,
running a xp2400 with a good nvida gaming card,
2gb of ram I believe, on a nvidia n-force board,
with a 7" lilliput toch screen...

Thanks for the Info... I need to get my box out
and try revamping it into the FJ now... ;)..

1 - 20 of 35 Posts