Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup..i know, you probably thought the thread was about cat's guarding something.

I dont have the second set of CAT's anymore.. Do I still need the guards? Or do they provide structural support?

I've already gotten hung up on them once before, and now without the piece of metal behind it, they are just... there.

NDA431FJ's rig

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think you DO need them for frame strength. The early Tacomas were notoriously bad for the frames racking and they added these braces in on the X runner and 05+ Tacomas. If you look at the FJ frame, there is little to prevent racking, sadly.

That said, they sure bug me that they are there! :)
Bud

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
you could probably make them out of flat rail and make them more low profile but yeah I guarantee they add squaring support, last time I removed them to repaint my skids the holes wouldnt line up unless I jacked up the front on the passenger side, this tells me the frame has twisted slightly.

speaking of cat guards check out these menacing figures.

·
Premium Member
6,532 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Hmm, there are a couple trains of thought on this but thin as they are I still feel they do have some structural significance. I do believe that a flat bar or even corner gussets welded in would be a better low profile option.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts