Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Head Lines our local newpaper this morning. Catlaytic converters being stolen from toyota pickups. Over 100 stolen salvage value $75. to $95. Toyota cayalytic converters have more platinum than other vehilces. Replacement cost per our dealership $900. to $1200.:flame:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Personally I wish every american would remove them and ship them to sanfrancisco, CA

I removed the CAT from my 09 vmax and it weighed over 40lbs, thats on a bike that weighs 650lbs. Craziness
________
Electronic Cigarette

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Sounds like a good time to go with an aftermarket exhaust and a garage.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This happened to a coworker's Highlander about 8 months ago. He was parked at the Amityville train station and it was done during the day. The guy was caught a few months ago.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I like the sound of the fj when its straight piped. lol.

Anyway that really sucks for anyone who had their cats stolen.

·
Registered
322 Posts
What exactly is the insides made of that make them so valuable? My dad keeps a box in his garage for used/old ones. A guy comes around once a month and pays pretty good money for them.

·
Formerly FJ_Marine
6,237 Posts
Stealing cats is nothing new, been going on for years. I remembe as a kid, guys going door to door in Detroit offering to remove cats for a small fee and install a short piece of pipe so you could run leaded gas. They turned around and made more money of the scrap as well.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
They have been stealing them here for bout 3yrs now. They were also steeling manhole covers. Then the local PD's started cracking down on the scrap yards and it has slowed way down.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I had the one stolen off my old 84 Toyota. Can't believe something over 20 years old still had value. Damn theives!!

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts

·
Formerly FJ_Marine
6,237 Posts
Seems like a waste of money.

While yes cutting through cable is a pain in the butt with a sawzall (or similar), all you need is a pair of bolt cutters to get through that cable.
But that's not the "tool of choice" according to the video. :lol:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
My wife's Sequoia had her passenger side cat stolen at my daughter's softball tournament. $1800 at the dealer to fix. Insurance covered all but our deductible. ($500)
My wife said if the guy would have come up to her and said "I'm going to steal your cat. conv." she would have said here, have $100 and don't steaL it. I bought some .090 thick aluminum and bolted it where it covers the cat. It won't stop them from getting it but will slow them down. I did the same thing on my FJ on the pass. side. The drivers side seems untouchable with the driveline there and my MAF skids.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts