Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. My handheld CB has died. Now I want to put one in my FJ. Im thinking of going the HAM route.

First, do they make an all in one unit that has HAM and CB in it, or do I have to buy 2 units?

Im sure Ill have tons of other questions as Im am a complete newb with HAM.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
OK. My handheld CB has died. Now I want to put one in my FJ. Im thinking of going the HAM route.

First, do they make an all in one unit that has HAM and CB in it, or do I have to buy 2 units?

Thanks!
No, HAM and CB are on totally different frequencies, and you can't use one to talk on the other. Mainly because it's illegal. You'll find that the most frustrating thing about HAM is the rule stating that you have to talk on specific frequencies on a "type accepted" radio. Which means you can't talk on commercial frequencies unless you have a commercial radio, you can't talk on CB frequencies with a HAM, etc.

Now that you know it's illegal, I'll tell you that some people will buy a 10M capable radio, and modify it for use on the CB frequencies. But HAM's mostly use 2M and 70CM unless you're talking on HF. Tech license only gives you the ability to use certain frequencies, so that's where you should start. I've got a commercial radio, a HAM radio, and a CB radio in my FJ. The HAM is an FT8800R with the head mounted just to the left of the steering wheel. The CB is mounted by my right knee, and the commercial is sitting in the storage compartment between the seats. You'll need different antennas for most of the different bands, although there are some antennas that can cover multiple bands. My HAM antenna covers all the frequencies my FT8800R has, and I've got a mag mount for the commercial. The CB has to have a different antenna as well.

My suggestion is get what you think you'll use the most, and then think about getting something else later. I'll tell you though, I haven't used my CB since I put it in six months ago, and I use my HAM daily.

Teejeaux

·
Registered
79 Posts

Thanks!
ntrprize -

I would suggest that you check out the ARRL (American Radio Relay League) website @ ARRL.org This is a good starting point for someone interested but unfamiliar with ham radio. It provides a great overview of the hobby and details the different aspects of ham radio. Licensing requirements are also detailed.
The tech license is an introductory license which is fairly easy to obtain with a little study time invested. It will allow you to operate vhf/uhf gear in the FJ. A $200.00+- investment can set you up fairly well to start. This along with a cb radio gives you good communications coverage.
Once licensed and involved with ham radio you may want to upgrade your license which gives you more operating options.
For now make it simple and check out the website and get some questions answered. Depending on where you live there may be a store specializing in ham gear in your area.
Alot of guys on here are getting licensed so you have good company and resources to turn to.

-Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.