Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the bandi mount and I wish I could have better rang out the front and with the bandi mount my antenna barely clears the roof line. I have an ARB front bumper and I was wondering if my signal would improve any by going to two antennas on the front bumper. I do know that two antennas will give me more of an elliptical range rather than the single antenna's perfect circle. I have been told that if I get the antennas further away from the body of the car I can get better range, but does that mean I can go with a shorter antenna (2') or would I need to stay with the 3'? Anything will help, and if I need to explain this differently just let me know.

·
Premium Member
8,287 Posts
Two antennas won't do sh!t for you on an FJC because you can't get them far enough apart to be in phase. A single (vertical) antenna only radiates in a circle IF it has a perfect ground plane. The best ground plane available is the exact center of your roof. So if you're serious about the best range, then get a good quality magnetic-mount antenna and set it in the center of your roof. If you want to maximize your Bandi Mount effectiveness, get a taller antenna. The higher you can get above the roof line, the better your range will be. Having the antenna in the rear (like the Bandi mount) will usually radiate in an ellipse, with the longest part of the ellipse past the front of the truck so your range in front should already be better than your rear-ward range. You're fighting an uphill battle with cb anyway, at only 4 watts maximum power.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I have two questions. How can the bandi give better range out the front if 95% of the antenna is blocked out the front. Also how far apart do they need to be for two to work. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
I have a 4ft Wilson Flex antenna with no spring and no quick disconnect on my bandi mount. I get really good SWR's and range. When I need to go in the garage, I just tuck the antenna under my roof rack with it still mounted, it's a great antenna! Things like springs and quick disconnects will kill your SWR's, so getting an antenna that doesn't need one is a really good idea.

FLEX4 Wilson Flexible Fiberglass Antenna at WalcottCB.com

BTW I don't understand the negative review on the site, myself and several others in my area have this same antenna without issue.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
In answer to your first question: the antenna has a large ground plane area in front of it when it's mounted on a rear mount. That's a good thing BTW!

Remember this: HEIGHT = MIGHT. The higher/taller the antenna + the larger the ground plane the more range you will get out of it.

A left rear mounted antenna will favor the right front of the vehicle and vice versa for a right rear mounted antenna. A 'center of the vehicle' roof mounted antenna will favor more to the front and back than to the sides (greater ground plane area).

Best bet: a permanently mounted in the center of the roof 4' tall antenna. Otherwise do what 1911 suggested - a magnet mount on the roof!

Mike :jester:

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
I'm installing my Cb this weekend and using the Bandi mount. I hope I don't have too many issues. I have printed out a crapload of threads for installations. I also got a 2 ft. Firestik due to garage clearance.
Wish me luck!

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
If you're looking for comms within your group of wheelin' buddies, then just about any antenna & placement will do. You'll be relatively close together so efficiency of radiation is a non-factor, IMO.

However, if you're looking for superior range, then like Lee mentioned already, 4 watts ain't gonna cut it, no matter if you have a perfect antenna setup.

It's a matter of personal perspective. I recognize the limitation of 11 meter (CB) communication, & really only use it either on the trail in groups our in a highway convoy...

So, I use an inexpensive radio & antenna setup. Easily replaceable, no muss, no fuss. I've even used walkie talkies when wheeling...

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
I guess I have been lucky, my reception has been very strong from the start. I originally had a 5' wilson antenna on my bandi mount, but even with a stiff heavy duty spring, it would slam into my rack and eventually cracked the lens on my rear light (rack mounted). I switched it out with a 3 footer and can't tell the difference other than for the banging has stopped.

I had all the equipment professionally installed by a CB place here in Orange County (the solder joint in Orange California), and I'm sure that has something to do with how good the system works. I bought all the equipment and had them install and tuned it in - they charged me 60 bucks - such and deal IMO.

Here is a shot of the smaller antenna on back.

Works great.

-

·
Premium Member
8,287 Posts
Thank you. I have two questions. How can the bandi give better range out the front if 95% of the antenna is blocked out the front.
Like Mike said, ground plane.

Also how far apart do they need to be for two to work. Thanks.
Ideally, some resonant multiple of the frequency wavelength. For the range of cb frequencies, the shortest one is 1/4-wave at 9 feet. They will work at less than that (provided you use the right coax impedance and tune them carefully) but you won't get the full advantage so IMO it's not worth the trouble and extra expense.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I use a Bandi mount, spring, quick disconnect and 4 foot fire stick and have had good SWR from the beginninig. If you keep the disconnect clean you should have no problem. Make sure that your doors are closed when you tune it.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BTW I don't understand the negative review on the site, myself and several others in my area have this same antenna without issue.
No negative feelings. I just want more.:cheers:

While researching a cb for my needs I came across this site that has several tips and info for getting the best reception and sending signals for most cb users .

Just look on the left side of the page for GENERAL KNOWLEDGE .

CBradiomagazine.com - The only online CB Radio magazine in the world!
Thanks for the link. I need to read up.

In answer to your first question: the antenna has a large ground plane area in front of it when it's mounted on a rear mount. That's a good thing BTW!

Remember this: HEIGHT = MIGHT. The higher/taller the antenna + the larger the ground plane the more range you will get out of it.

A left rear mounted antenna will favor the right front of the vehicle and vice versa for a right rear mounted antenna. A 'center of the vehicle' roof mounted antenna will favor more to the front and back than to the sides (greater ground plane area).

Mike :jester:
AH..... see I don't know much about CB's. I can wire about anything but I don't know much when it comes to radio waves.:king:

I'm installing my Cb this weekend and using the Bandi mount. I hope I don't have too many issues. I have printed out a crapload of threads for installations. I also got a 2 ft. Firestik due to garage clearance.
Wish me luck!
Really don't worry about it. I just had a truck with dual antennas and had a real nice CB in it. The single Bandi is great.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Yeah, the quick disconnect is the way to go, easy on and easy off.

-

·
Registered
319 Posts
Im in the same market for an antenna and after all of this talk there is no discussion of actual range. I dont think I need anymore distance that in an offroad convoy. Maybe 2-300 yards would be sufficient. going with a 3' firestick on boztec mount. Anyon see any trouble with this range/setup. What would the max range be with this? roughly?

·
Premium Member
8,287 Posts
Anyon see any trouble with this range/setup.
Not for your intended purpose.

What would the max range be with this? roughly?
On perfectly flat open ground, at least a mile, probably more. On a tight trail with lots of hills, rocks, and trees where you can't see the trail leader from the rear, 200-300 yards or less.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Im in the same market for an antenna and after all of this talk there is no discussion of actual range. I dont think I need anymore distance that in an offroad convoy. Maybe 2-300 yards would be sufficient. going with a 3' firestick on boztec mount. Anyon see any trouble with this range/setup. What would the max range be with this? roughly?
Well you should not have any trouble with a three foot firestick. Like someone else said, the best most practical antenna is the quarter wave 102" whip. But for off roading, parking garages, home garages, traffic lights, overpasses Ect. The 102" whip on a lifted fj on the bandi mount isn't going to be practicable for this location. So end fed coiled antennas like firestick Ect. Are a compromise antenna. They aren't as efficient (power is lost to heat.. Antenna becomes a resistor) as a true quarter wave, but they aren't as long.

The "ground plane" or metal body frame Ect.. Is actually the second part or opposite side of the dipole antenna. In other words you can have 2 firesticks facing opposite each other and mounted with an insulater and feed the center of the coax to one side and the shield to the other and use it to transmit without a vehicle.. In the same way, on your car the center of the coax is going to your antenna and the shield is going to the mount.. So the car becomes the rest of the antenna. I hope this helps and doesn't sound like rambling.. It's difficult to type on an iPad.:wave:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts