Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted a mount for my CB antenna and realized the Bandi makes the coax flex whenever you open the door. I haven't really seen anyone who had a problem with that but for some reason I don't like it. So, I decided to see if I could mount mine without that problem. I took all the plastic off my rear hinge and it looked like I might be able to make a mount that mounted on the top and bottom holes of the hinge instead of the middle.

Those holes are 6mm x 1mm and you can fit a 25mm long bolt in there (from the inside) without hitting the quarter panel.

I took a scrap piece of 2x2 square .120 wall and made this.

I'm really glad the shadows hide my welds :lol:

Here's the mount test fitted with no paint or anything on it.

One thing I should have thought about-It's a PITA to get nuts on a 6mm bolt threaded into the OE threads. There's no room to get a finger in there. Needle nose pliers helped. I wanted to leave those threads in there just in case I ever want to go back to stock or just go with a Bandi.

I think it would be great to drill the holes out to 1/4" and have 1/4" nuts welded to the mount but placement of the nuts would be critical there.

If anyone has feedback on my idea, please let me have it. Bandi, I really see why you made your mount the way you did now. This way is a PITA even if it has certain advantages (like not bending the coax).:cheers:

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
...I took a scrap piece of 2x2 square .120 wall and made this.

I'm really glad the shadows hide my welds :lol:

Here's the mount test fitted with no paint or anything on it.

If anyone has feedback on my idea, please let me have it. Bandi, I really see why you made your mount the way you did now. This way is a PITA even if it has certain advantages (like not bending the coax).:cheers:
Your mount sure looks strong but it seems like a lot or work considering you could have bought a similar set-up, but it would not use stock screws if that is what you did. The Firestik Vertical Door Jamb mount can be used in that location and also has side to side antenna tilt adjustment. It comes with 4 screws for mounting. Your's has a more custom look, though. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about using that Firestik mount but I didn't want to drill new holes if I could help it.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Nice MOUNT !.... :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Love the Bandi... no real flex with my wires. It has started a bit of discoloration from rust after just one winter (not even over yet).

Any chance these could be made out of stainless? Buffalo winters are brutal with all the salt!

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sure they could be made out of stainless or even aluminum but welding is a little tougher (for me anyway) on both of those metals.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I finally got my CB installed. I went with a Uniden PC78 Elite. If you haven't checked this one out, you should. It's very similar to the Cobra 29 and about 30 bucks cheaper with all the same features. It has an orange backlit face so it matches the clock/radio/gauge pod nicely.

I decided to try a 2' firestik antenna since that's all I could fit into my garage and I can tell you an antenna that short doesn't work very well when mounted on the rear door hinge. It took forever to get it tuned and still my SWR is 2.5 on channels 1 and 40. It goes down to 2 on channel 19. So, I got a 4' Wilson flexible and SWR is 1.2 on channels 1 and 40. Much better.

I think with the 2 footer there's just too much of it running roughly parallel with the body. I tried checking the SWR while parked in the garage just to see what happened with a metal door a couple feet away and it made no difference so the body is apparently having a pretty huge effect on it.

·
Premium Member
2011 fjcruiser quicksand
370 Posts
I think your onto something there. The flex issue is a good observation and I commend you for coming up with a different design. What you have is a more efficient ground system from what I see than the Bandi mount, which many others complain about grounding problems. I am a firm believer in more metal below is more RF out,hanging an antenna out off of a hinge that looks good does not always perform good.In most given circumstances the Bandi will suffice for most trail use but do not expect to get 40 over s9 reports 20 miles away especially on mobile mounted verticals.To do that will require more money. Some people do not realize when mounting an antenna there are more things going on that just turning on a radio and talking to your friends. The antenna makes the difference. Keep up the good work. There is always a better mouse trap! I am looking at adapting your design concept but give it my own twist. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts