Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am a volunteer fire fighter and looking at ways to run a radio antenna and mounting. Wondering how everyone is mounting there antennas. Our antennas are a little larger then normal cb mounts.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
G'day.
No need to delete if you moved it into the CB section.
Unless you want the whole thread deleted...
Cheers
Baz

·
Registered
832 Posts
What band or bands is your dept using? Will it be used strictly for public safety?
What I did was used a bandi mount from all-pro off road and drilled it out for a UHF barrel connector. I went with this style because I had a few antennas that have a UHF base already. You could adapt it to a NMO just as easy. Then I used a comet CA-2x4SRB antenna. Our 800mhz P25 system is OK if you're near a repeater, a handheld will work for that. There is another band around 154mhz that dept of forestry, CalFire, county, OES, everybody uses it. With that antenna it is a 2m/70cm ham antenna with extended bandwidth that covers some public safety freqs. Inside I have a dual band dual receive radio so I can be multiple places at once. There is also a few mounts by comet and diamond that will easily work on a FJ. There is some that pinch a door, some that will grab the roof rack, or go through the roof. I have since moved the comet antenna from the bandi to a mount on the right side of the rear door. If your dept uses 800mhz I would probably roof mount it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
51 Posts
We use two different radio systems. For the VHF, I used a Boztec Ham antenna mount on the rear door hinge. For the 800 MHz trunking system, I used a clamp on antenna on the top center of the rear door.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,138 Posts
If you look at Boztec, they make amount that will accept an NMO mount.
Indeed they do. :bigthumb: Wish the weld went all the way down, but oh well. I'm still gonna get one and run it with a 55-inch Comet SBB-7NMO which should reach well above the roof's groundplane for a little better reception in the wide open spaces of South Texas than my current 38-inch SBB-5NMO.

HAM Radio Antenna Mount | BozTec

1 - 13 of 13 Posts