Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my CB antenna installed for a while and have always been nervous about the firestik banging around on the back of the FJ. So I designed a shield to put on the spring to restrict it from hitting the FJ, but still allowing it to swing around and away. So here it is. Basically just a piece of angle iron with a large washer welded to the bottom of it. Smoothed it out and painted it and I think the final product looks good. Works like a charm too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
I had the same problem and thats a cool idea for a fix, let us know how it works out.
I ended up going from a 4 foot to a 3 foot and that helped a lot.
(I had the heavy duty spring)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is a heavy duty spring on there. Works great. I can pull the antenna all the way back and let go and it will not hit the FJ.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
In all honesty, with the firefly all you need is the QD. You could get rid of it. We even quit adding the spring to our kit now because of the flex in the Firefly. You probably won't notice it on the trail, but where you have that mounted will make become part of the antenna itself which will no doubt change the SWR.

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
In all honesty, with the firefly all you need is the QD. You could get rid of it. We even quit adding the spring to our kit now because of the flex in the Firefly. You probably won't notice it on the trail, but where you have that mounted will make become part of the antenna itself which will no doubt change the SWR.
All I have is the spring, I just unscrew and store the antenna when Im not off roading. But what your saying is that I can do away with it all together and not have a problem?

A neat tip, keep a stainless steel bolt in the FJ so when ever you take the antenna off to store it just thread the bolt in its place to keep out road dirt etc...

·
Admin
6,512 Posts
The shield looks great!

I've seen some guys cut a hole in a tennis ball and place it halfway down the antennae.

Myself, I don't use a QD or the spring. The firestik flexes fairly well on it's own. There are times when I'm going through a VERY tight trail for an extended period of time that I tuck the antennae under my roof rack because I get sick of hearing it being thrashed around.

I'm also lucky enough I don't have to remove the antennae at home.

:cheers:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts