Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I pulled the trigger on a Midland 75-822 and it is on its way. I have an ARB bumper with the holes to mount an antenna so I thought I would utilze them rather than spending more $ on something I dont need. The holes are near the corners on the top flat surface of the bumper.

My question is what is a good antenna and what do I need to install it correctly. I was looking at the 4' tuneable firestick because I was told the antenna will work better if it sticks up over the top of the truck. Thoughts?

Is there a kit with everything that someone could reccomend?

Also, do I need a spring mount, it seems like this would allow the antena to slap around into the side of my FJ?

·
Registered
876 Posts
It's all about line of sight when it comes to an antenna, the farther above the cab it is the farther out behind / in front you will be able to communicate with someone else.

That being said how far between other rigs on the trail do you usually run?

In our neck of the woods we usually run in tight groups and even the guys at the front and end are heard just fine with handhelds 10-15 rigs about 1 - 2 length apart.

My antenna on the back corner sticks out a foot above the cab and I am using a Francis antenna (they are pre-tuned, but do have an adjustment like the Firestick) I am heard and can hear everyone clearly.

Spring mounts: Is there a lot of tree cover where you wheel? If there is then I would recommend using one with a Firestick, if you're concerned about it smacking your rig, go old school and stick a tennis ball at the point where it comes in contact with your rig.

I plan on going bigger with my antenna soon, only because I want to be able to pick up the weather station better, but as far as trail runs are concerned the antenna I have and the height works very well for chit chatting with the other rigs.

Edit:
The antenna mounted to the bumper will work fine, you may need to take off some of the paint where the antenna comes into contact with it, but there are a couple of guys in CO. that went that route rather than the Bandi and it works great.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
I changed from a Firestick to a whip antenna and I love it. I was having trouble with the firestick and went to a CB shop and they told that they were bad about breaking inside the stick.

I don't know if you saw T2's at the Summit, I think it was a 54" whip. He was on top of Ophir and I was still in the Mountain Hamet of Ophir and we able to talk back and forth.

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
I have the 4' firestick, with a heavy duty spring mount (to bend under obstacles) and quicl disconnect. That makes it almost 5' tall, mounted on the Bandi Mount. I have no issues with it. I like the idea of mounting it on the bumper, but I'd still put the spring mount on it to allow it to flex further under obstacles (trees, shrubs, etc).

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
I have a 4' firestick and heavy spring mounted on my ARB bumper. It works great! Just remember to remove paint from the underside of the bumper to provide a good ground.

Good range even tho I keep the radio squelched down because of skip chatter...

Of course, my 2m ham radio has 100 times the range with no noise... :lol:

cheers, :cheers:

dale

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input, I think I am leaning towards the Wilson 4' flex antenna. Everything that I am reading gives credence to what Terry, Tennessee Squire, is saying. The Firestick antennas are good but they dont hold up like some of the others. I dont really want to add a spring unless I have to and with the Wilson I dont think that will be the case. I'll post up the final results......any other input is welcome.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I got a 4' Wilson with a spring mount and quick connect. Just installed it and it isn't done yet... or tuned. Still waiting for the mount from Proclips for the mic. The antenna is mounted to the bandi mount. I had to chop the mount to clear the tail light guards.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts