Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Admin
7,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What CB channels are people typically using while on the highway?

For myself I will be on the road for 3 days there and then 3 days back... and it would be neat to say a quick hello if/when we pass another FJ heading to Moab or the Summit :D

In 2012 I saw a few guys use a grease pen and mark on their windows what CB channel they were running... I may do that this year.

I kinda like using channel 16 (4x4=16 :D ) but that may change if there is interference or non-FJ user chatter ;)

·
Registered
2,375 Posts

For myself I will be on the road for 3 days there and then 3 days back... and it would be neat to say a quick hello if/when we pass another FJ heading to Moab or the Summit :D

In 2012 I saw a few guys use a grease pen and mark on their windows what CB channel they were running... I may do that this year.

I kinda like using channel 16 (4x4=16 :D ) but that may change if there is interference or non-FJ user chatter ;)

Some combo of 4 seems to be pretty common. Four is used by the majority of the wheeling community. A big club I belong to uses 14. 16 can be busy. I used to use 34 but was told the higher frequencies may not be as clear.
In the past there was a Summit channel for the purpose you describe, but I don’t recall which one.

If you like to chat on the CB I suggest a big sticker on the back window. I have one that says CB 12 and HAM 146.460. At least those behind me know where to hail.

Ace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Winterpeg

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,155 Posts
Cool idea! I’ll be watching for what you all decide - I’ll be on the highway for 3-4 days each way as well. BTW my fave channel is 11.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
People really talk to you grumpy?

What up DAD!

Hey Pops!

At least I still get out and wheel.

Got a new bike a couple of weeks ago. Really fun ride but a bit porky.

·
Admin
7,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My wife just told me we already have a few grease pens (?markers?) here.... so I will definitely be doing that on my windows.

I'll likely put it on both back side windows and the rear window itself.

Looks like we all use a slightly different channel... but it's not going to work unless we see each other anyway :lol: so I'm sure we can all make it work if we are paying attention on the road. :D

I'll likely be convoying with my buddy and his wife.... they'll be in a new white Jeep JL on 37's.... so the 2 of us will be easy to spot :D :D
They may stay in Moab or they may pop in to Ouray to check out all the FJ koolaid ;)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I typically leave it on ch19 and listen to the truckers, sometimes it can be beneficial hearing about where cops might be sitting or any traffic slowdowns.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Some new type of Fuel? Carbon Fiber Dad?

I actually off road quite a bit, just don't spend time driving all over the country doing it. I have 41 towers that I have to check on year around. Several of them are tough enough. Mountain roads that are only driven by me in the past 30 years.

I use my CB for three days during the year. Thurs, Friday and Saturday of the FJ Summit. I hate the damned thing. Goes in the box and stays there until the following year. Feel it is needed there. Noise, noise and more noise espeically if Dad gets off on a tangent, drone drone drone head hits steering wheel, lose control over the embankment.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Some new type of Fuel? Carbon Fiber Dad?

I actually off road quite a bit, just don't spend time driving all over the country doing it. I have 41 towers that I have to check on year around. Several of them are tough enough. Mountain roads that are only driven by me in the past 30 years.

I use my CB for three days during the year. Thurs, Friday and Saturday of the FJ Summit. I hate the damned thing. Goes in the box and stays there until the following year. Feel it is needed there. Noise, noise and more noise espeically if Dad gets off on a tangent, drone drone drone head hits steering wheel, lose control over the embankment.

Yes, it’s based on the Fuel EX but Trek calls it the Farley EX 9.8. Rear triangle is aluminum, front is carbon. Weight is in the wheels and tires (3.8), and fork.

I can’t imagine why anyone would remove and instal their CB annually. It takes up almost no room and has an off switch which is very easy to operate.

I’m on many trips every year so mine stays in place as well as the HAM radio.

Ace

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
I have a midland hand held type. Takes 10 seconds to get rid of it. I hate the noise, the chatter. Even when using it, I have it so I can only hear my group. Hate listening to the truckers. Plus it is always getting in the way.

I looked at something similar the other day. My Trek shop has the demo deal.

·
Registered
480 Posts

On the highway, I'm either listening on 19, or scanning.

17 and 19 are the classic interstate ("trucker") channels, 4 is the classic 4x4 channel. You may have fun listening in on the "Super Bowl" of people trying to get a signal around the world on channel 6.

More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CB_usage_in_the_United_States#North_American/CEPT_frequencies

If you like to chat on the CB I suggest a big sticker on the back window. I have one that says CB 12 and HAM 146.460. At least those behind me know where to hail.
My other car's license plate is CB-19 :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
I will be monitoring 14 & 19 on the drive up there and back. You can always post your channel on the back window.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts