Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys with the thanks of another member on these boards I now have my cobra cb and bandi mount all hooked up....used a SWR metter and it is tuned up good(under 2) my question what kind of range can I get with it now? I am new to the whole CB thing....wanted this mostly for being out on the trails......Its crazy but I can receive transmissions from all over, I heard talk in GA, and I have also heard talk from NC(unless it was all BS) I am in FL is that possible? so how far can I transmit? also my other question is can someone explain to me the channel 9 emergency setting? I mean is it set to channel 9 and transmit...then what?(who is listening on that channel?) fill me in a little please....I thank you all

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
hey guys with the thanks of another member on these boards I now have my cobra cb and bandi mount all hooked up....used a SWR metter and it is tuned up good(under 2) my question what kind of range can I get with it now? I am new to the whole CB thing....wanted this mostly for being out on the trails......Its crazy but I can receive transmissions from all over, I heard talk in GA, and I have also heard talk from NC(unless it was all BS) I am in FL is that possible? so how far can I transmit? also my other question is can someone explain to me the channel 9 emergency setting? I mean is it set to channel 9 and transmit...then what?(who is listening on that channel?) fill me in a little please....I thank you all
Usually you'll get "skip" at night when the ionosphere lowers. The distant transmissions you hear have skipped off the atmosphere and bounced down to where you are.

Depending on your output and your antenna, you're lucky to get 1-2 miles on a CB without a pre-amp or some other illegal set-up.

I don't know if there are still members of REAC who monitor CH 9. Usually people monitor Ch 9 when they're driving in case somebody is there calling for help. My first call would be "<your name> calling REAC on Channel 9, reporting an emergency" and see if anyone answers.

The Ham Radio is a much better choice if you want to do more than chat with your trail buddies as you wind through the hills or convoy down the highway. Amateur radio (HAM) has far greater power and range and an established network to manage MAYDAY situations.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I also recently got the Big Bill Combo with the Cobra handheld, heavy duty sping and Bandi mount with 4ft firestick. A friend helped me tune it to about 1.6:1 on channels 1 and 40. I left the parking lot while he stayed there and I was able to transmit and receive about 3 miles while I was on the highway clearly. Didn't keep testing it any longer but I would guess 4-5 miles at best with no interference?

I also got it for trail runs with my club but it always helps to hear of any traffic or possible speed trap alerts while on the highway. About 90% of the time I hear useless banter.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys :) yea same here usually just people spewing off at the lip.....how do you establisg contact with locals in the area? is it basically scanning channels and set squelch ....then the strongest frequencies in the area come through? It would be great for highway trips to see about speed traps....but it seems like there is just alot of useless chit chat and jabber.......how does one go about establishing local contacts? just get on and basically see who answers back?

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
I Grew up in the CB radio craze. it was a blast we used to have a 70 foot tower on our house and a 1000 watt linear (Kicker) and My dad hooked up a Reverb from an old Gibson amp(so we had Echo) and we talked all over the world.
I also Used to have a ssb Sideband radio in my truck and Had it modified with what they classified as Upper and lower channels. I would drive down the road and talk all over the world from my truck. Skip is what they call it and when it is in you can also talk to those you hear. The fun stuff also can be at 3 in the morning with ground wave skip as uphill is talking about and talk to guys just shooting the breeze in their local town. I hated to see it go away with the computor and cell phone knocking it away. So yes what you hear is true. Anyway thats also how i got my screename on here it was my cb handle also. Given to me from my dad because of my fast fingers He claimed I had..Lol! oops am i starting to ramble.. See ya..(More Coffee):lol:

·
Registered
337 Posts
you might get 4 to 5 miles of range at best on a kansas flat highway....channel 9 is the emergency channel.....dont think any agencys monitor it like the used to......you should get a study guide and get your HAM license....it will open up a vast network for you to use...phone patch(with all the use of cell phones this is falling by the wayside)but i still use it from time to time ....UHF....VHF....lots of people monitior there ham rigs...if in trouble listen and say.....mayday....mayday...YOU will get a response

KE5SSU
Bill
on the beautiful Arkansas River.... Osage county Oklahoma:cheers:

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
you might get 4 to 5 miles of range at best on a kansas flat highway....channel 9 is the emergency channel.....dont think any agencys monitor it like the used to......you should get a study guide and get your HAM license....it will open up a vast network for you to use...phone patch(with all the use of cell phones this is falling by the wayside)but i still use it from time to time ....UHF....VHF....lots of people monitior there ham rigs...if in trouble listen and say.....mayday....mayday...YOU will get a response

KE5SSU
Bill
on the beautiful Arkansas River.... Osage county Oklahoma:cheers:
444.700 cool I did not know about this one, I will enter it into my reciever.I have been thinking about adding and additional 10meter or 2 meter rig to my fj. I know a lot of Truckers that use ham radios now so they can use repeaters to talk back home or to headquarters.. A lot more range and a lot more quiet. This is good stuff to me..!!! sorry if i thread robbed.:mecry: I had a friend when i was growing up that was into Dipoles building antennas out of wire at different angles etc and so on..

·
Registered
337 Posts
go to the ARRL web site....thru there you will find a study guide on line/or where to purchase books from them on testing.....the Arrl web site is full of good info.....good luck....RR:clap:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts