Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok guys, I HATE to start another CB install thread, but I've amassed a few questions that I haven't found the answers to when reading through the CB install threads.

My questions are

1: I'm going to use an "add-a-circuit" and get power form the factory fuze box... which numbered fuze do I use, and what type of fuze should I buy to put in the add-a-circuit

2: I'm going to mount my uniden PRO520XL in the center console between driver and passenger seat, where is the best and easiest place to ground to from there.

3: I'm using the bandi mount, am I going to have to drill at all to get my power and antenna cables into the center console?

4: Are there any other miscellaneous things I should watch for while installing the bandi mount, and running the cable through the driverside running panel, and using the add-a-circuit?

Thanks, hopefully I can get all these questions answered, and a forum cookie to anyone who can help me out!:clap:

Jordan

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
The only hole I made when running my antenna wire was in the rubber boot behind the rear door hinge. <over>

·
Premium Member
4,564 Posts
You'll find this image useful...

If you opt to run the antenna wire through the wiring boot on the door, you'll need antenna wire with a removable PL259 connector. The Big Bill kit from Walcott includes the antenna wire with the removable connector.

As for the Bandi mount, be aware it rusts like crazy. I'm replacing mine after 3 months with a Boztec stainless steel mount and will of course have to replace the antenna wire, using one with removable connectors.

There are plenty of places in the console to ground, but I used an area behind the kick plate in the driver's foot well. Use an add-a-circuit mini; you're limited to a ten amp fuse in the mini using one, which is plenty for a CB.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My add a circuit looks just like this, so I'm guessing I need little fuzes to put in there?

Thanks for the info so far guys, going to expedite the process for sure.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ALSO, see in the center console in the background here... Can I ground to that bolt??

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used the add a circuit at first, but got some noise on the radio, so I ended up wiring directly to the battery instead.

One Shot
Apologies for the multiple posts in a row, but If I do wire directly from the battery, what do you suggest I do this with. I've seen those battery power connecter wires, where can I buy them?

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
if you wire directly to the battery you want to make sure you have an inline fuse.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if you wire directly to the battery you want to make sure you have an inline fuse.
Well... I think I'll just take my chances with the add-a-circuit... don't know too much about that, I do think my CB wire comes with an inline fuse though.

Edit: just checked, it does.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bump on question 2 =D

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
Bump on question 2 =D
since you are running a wire to the fuse panel, there is a ground behind the kick panel.

when you lift up the console you should be able to find a ground in there too.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Don't get RG58 coax. Get RG8X instead. The center conductor on RG58 will allow for lower performance.
Actually for most mobile installations RG58 is fine, it has a little more loss, but the difference is minimal. Here is a link to a good calculator.
Heres what I plugged in to get numbers for the average mobile install.
Line length: 18 FT
Frequency: 27 Mhz
Load SWR: 1.5:1
Power in: 5w

RG58 (Belden 9201)
Loss: .384Db
Power out:4.577

RG8x (Belden 9258)
Loss = .301Db
Power out: 4.665 watts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Actually for most mobile installations RG58 is fine, it has a little more loss, but the difference is minimal. Here is a link to a good calculator.
Heres what I plugged in to get numbers for the average mobile install.
Line length: 18 FT
Frequency: 27 Mhz
Load SWR: 1.5:1
Power in: 5w

RG58 (Belden 9201)
Loss: .384Db
Power out:4.577

RG8x (Belden 9258)
Loss = .301Db
Power out: 4.665 watts
Well, there are the numbers to back up the last part of my quote of performance loss. Thanks for the calculator.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Was wondering if someone could help me out. I recently purchased and installed a cobra 75 and 3' firestik ant. with the bandi mount, I was carefull to remove paint where needed and have the cb hooked directly to the battery. The problem happened when I attempted to tune the ant. I purchased the swr meter and was able to get readings. The first reading was 1.6 on ch 40 and 2 on ch 1 so i tweaked the ant a little bit the second readings I got was almost 2 on ch 40 and 1.7 on ch 1 and like an idiot i messed with it a little more and now when i flip the switch on swr meter from fwd to ref nothing happens, the needle stays on the set line. What happened? Did i just fry my nice new radio? Any suggestions? I wish I had left it alone where it was. I am going to Ouray next week and am flipping out that the cb is not done yet

·
Registered
865 Posts
You'll find this image useful...

If you opt to run the antenna wire through the wiring boot on the door, you'll need antenna wire with a removable PL259 connector. The Big Bill kit from Walcott includes the antenna wire with the removable connector.

As for the Bandi mount, be aware it rusts like crazy. I'm replacing mine after 3 months with a Boztec stainless steel mount and will of course have to replace the antenna wire, using one with removable connectors.

There are plenty of places in the console to ground, but I used an area behind the kick plate in the driver's foot well. Use an add-a-circuit mini; you're limited to a ten amp fuse in the mini using one, which is plenty for a CB.
Which locations would I use to power my Cobra 75? I know at saw a post for it once but forgot to save it.....

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
Bottom row left side is always on power

1 - 19 of 19 Posts