Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got this (my first CB)...
Cobra 75 WX ST Off-Road CB Package - $169.00

It's with me in Ouray (well, actually, it's sitting in a parking lot in Durango right now, but...), and waiting to be installed.

Any chance anyone's willing to help me install this setup?
I can't pay much, but I'd buy you beer at Ourayle House Brewery in appreciation for your help on this project.

steven

p.s. I'm heading out right now and won't be online again until either late tonight or tomorrow morning.

UPDATE 1 of 3:
Mine is DONE! :clap:
tlc4dr and cashnuts helped (OK, installed it for me) this afternoon (Sunday, 12).

Thanks again guys ---> Remember, there is some :cheers: waiting for you whenever we can work it out while we're all in town.

I will leave this thread open for other CB stuff, SWR meter party, etc.
Again, I have an SWR meter with me (courtesy, loup407). I don't know how to use it yet, but I will bring it to the SWR party if you guys want to gether for this while in town.

UPDATE 2 of 3:
Doh!! :p
Today, while heading down to Silverton, we heard the DFW folks (who were headed North over Red Mountain Pass to Ouray) on the CB. I heard them first mention a Sandstorm parked on the side of the road (which was right in front of us as we were rolling down the mountain). Then I heard them noticing another Sandstorm on its way down the pass (that was us).

Then I heard someone (I think it was WILSON) ask if that guy standing by the Sandstorm (we pulled over to watch them go by) had a ponytail, and that it might be OCR14a from Colorado, etc.... So, I chimed in....

However, when I did, the only thing I heard in reply to what I said was something like, "I can't hear you".

So, I guess I still need some help with this thing.

Any ideas?

I will try to flag one of you guys down for a CB chat session.

UPDATE 3 of 3:
Tim (T2Cruiser) helped me get this all figured out.
First I tested the trasmission with Jock (?), and he said it was very staticy.

Then I asked around to see if anyone would be willing to help, and Tim said it was probably not grounded enough.
He looked at it, and noticed a missing piece.....a plastic washer that is supposed to isolate the antenna from the vehicle.

I checked the 'left-over' parts from the install session, and sure enough, there it was (good thing I always keep the left-overs.....most of the time, they're just parts that were extra or unnecessary for the particular type of install or whatever, but this time, one of them was indeed needed).

So, Tim got out some tools, we took the antenna off and placed the plastic washer where it needs to be....we also re-positioned the grounding wire.

Then I did a radio check and someone from the Box Canyon Lodge responded that I was loud and clear.
So, we're all good now. :clap:

Thanks again to Josh, Leroy and Tim. :rocker:

·
Registered
933 Posts
I would be happy to help but I will not be in Ouray until late Wed afternoon. Let me know and I will bring my SWR meter as well.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts

It's with me in Ouray (well, actually, it's sitting in a parking lot in Durango right now, but...), and waiting to be installed.

I can't pay much, but I'd buy you beer at Ourayle House Brewery in appreciation for your help on this project.

steven

p.s. I'm heading out right now and won't be online again until either late tonight or tomorrow morning.

I can help you out. I'm planning on doing mine tonight...was going to wait until the Summit myself, but then I'd miss out on the Dallas convoy chatter !

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Im guessing you could hold up a white flag in the parking lot of the BW and you will have more help than you can handle....especially if its for free beer!

·
Registered
933 Posts
Hell I need to start drinking I am helping out way too cheep

·
Registered
5,278 Posts

steven

Which antenna mount did you go with? I will have my electrical tool kit with me... connectors, wire, etc.

Hell I need to start drinking I am helping out way too cheep

Start drinking now, that way you'll be in shape :cheers:

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I need some help figuring my CB out to. I have a magnet mount antenna but hat might be shorted out. I haven't had the chance to use the cb to talk to other people yet or picked up any chatter but the weather channel works with the antenna. when I was trying to tune with an SWR meter with the help of a forum member we got really high reading s and he then checked my antenna and said it might have a short unless there is something abut tuning CBs when using a magnetic mount antenna I don't know about.

Not to highjack the thread but does anyone know a decent magnet mount antenna. I'm not able to get a firestick/bandi mount set up and my radio antenna is worthless. I got the CB for the Summit...

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
I might be in on this if it becomes a group event. I am installing the Wallcott Setup with the 3' Firestik Firefly Ant. before I leave. Do I have to SWR it before I use it, or does the SWR tuning just make it better?

·
Kokopelli Moderator
3,236 Posts
I am installing mine as well this weekend, but do not have an SWR meter. Can a couple of the "CB Vets" bring theirs to the Summit? THANK YOU in advance! :clap:

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
My dad is an old ham with an SWR meter. I will ask if I can bring this, or even if it has the correct connections.

Look me up. You know my handle, I drive a yellow FJ with a Cav sticker in the back window. Also a couple of extra antennas on it, duhhh.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
838 Posts
We are showing up on sunday and I would be happy to help install it, PM me if you still need the help

·
Registered
838 Posts
Handheld will let you talk to most of your group without much problem, you usually stay close on the trails

·
Registered
504 Posts
im bringing a few extra hand held so people can not feel left out. im more than willing to help especially is there is beer involved... just did mine last week

·
Registered
46 Posts
We can have a tuning party!

We will be bringing a couple of extra CBs too...in case anyone in our group runs are without.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
I'll bring my SWR meter as well. I will be there Monday and I'm easy to spot, I'm the one jackhole with a 4Runner instead of an FJ. Oh and I'll be hanging out with another jackhole driving an International Scout.

As far as a good magnet mount (I can't remember who asked now) I tried firestik for magnet mount and really they are too stiff for magnets in my opinion. If they hit a tree they either pull the magnet away from your truck or you have to set the spring so loose you end up having a virtual baseball bat on your roof everytime you hit a branch. I have the Wilson magmount and for the most part I really like it. I think my firestik had a slightly better range, but my roof still has the scars.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts