Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Wilson Little Wil.. Ron

I need some help figuring my CB out to. I have a magnet mount antenna but hat might be shorted out. I haven't had the chance to use the cb to talk to other people yet or picked up any chatter but the weather channel works with the antenna. when I was trying to tune with an SWR meter with the help of a forum member we got really high reading s and he then checked my antenna and said it might have a short unless there is something abut tuning CBs when using a magnetic mount antenna I don't know about.

Not to highjack the thread but does anyone know a decent magnet mount antenna. I'm not able to get a firestick/bandi mount set up and my radio antenna is worthless. I got the CB for the Summit...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Count me in!
I've installed my Midland, Bandi Mount & Firestick and don't have a SWR meter (or know how to use one for that matter).
I would gladly buy beer(s) for any help at the Summit on this.

I'm staying at the KOA.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Does anyone have a spare antenna? Magnetic... I have no idea what I'm doing!!! :)
If you are going to use a handheld, you don't need an antenna.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'm already in Ouray, and ready anytime; evenings being better, but anytime would work...whatever's best for the helper.

Sorry no detailed response now. On our way to YBB.

I have loup407's swr meter with me.

I don't have many tools; most likely not enough.

I will get on here with my notebook this evening for more detailed conversation.

Thanks!! :clap:
steven

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I'm already in Ouray, and ready anytime; evenings being better, but anytime would work...whatever's best for the helper.

Sorry no detailed response now. On our way to YBB.

I have loup407's swr meter with me.

I don't have many tools; most likely not enough.

I will get on here with my notebook this evening for more detailed conversation.

Thanks!! :clap:
steven

I got my coax run last night, but I now I have to run power and ground....

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
I'll bring my SWR meter as well. I will be there Monday and I'm easy to spot, I'm the one jackhole with a 4Runner instead of an FJ. Oh and I'll be hanging out with another jackhole driving an International Scout.
Do me a favor and remind that one that he still owes someone some pictures he promised her in December! :lol:

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Still just on my CrackBerry.
Back from Yankee Boy Basin (flowers are popping, but road still snowed over at one point close to the Sneffels TH) drinking beer at Billy Goat Gruff's Bier Garten.
Will check in again later. Doh! :)

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
oops, repeat post - thanks to my CrackBerry

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
oops, repeat post - thanks to my CrackBerry

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Back from Yankee Boy Basin (flowers are popping, but road still snowed over at one point close to the Sneffels TH) drinking beer at Billy Goat Gruff's Bier Garten.
You can say that again.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
And again. I think he is really happy to be in Ouray.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
We will be there in two days !:rocker:
Seth, I might be changing my mind and driving on Sunday. I don't know if I can manage a Monday morning 6 hour drive just to get to Ouray and prerun all day. I don't think my hands can take 15 hours on the steering wheel. Well on the highway, where I can take an occasional nap (just kidding) it is fine, but Ouray's cliffs aren't exactly friendly to those who zone out.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I would be happy to help but I will not be in Ouray until late Wed afternoon. Let me know and I will bring my SWR meter as well.
Cool. Sounds like we'll have a CB party or two or three somewhere along the way. :)

I can help you out. I'm planning on doing mine tonight...was going to wait until the Summit myself, but then I'd miss out on the Dallas convoy chatter !
Indeed. Since we were getting here so early and not partaking in a convoy at all, I figured I'd just wait till I got here and try to find someone willing to help. Looks like I'm in the right place. Yet another plug for this great community. :clap:

Im guessing you could hold up a white flag in the parking lot of the BW and you will have more help than you can handle....especially if its for free beer!
indeed :lol:

Mmmm, beer!
yep....I have been thinking of your suggestions and will probably get going on my own at some point....perhaps this year.....I'll keep you posted.....rather, I'll be in touch often when it actually comes time ...i'll have tons of questions of course.

Hell I need to start drinking I am helping out way too cheep
:rofl:

Which antenna mount did you go with? I will have my electrical tool kit with me... connectors, wire, etc.
I got the 4' Wilson Flex-4

...Not to highjack the thread but...
No prob....this is the 2009 Summit CB Help Thread now.. :rocker:

I might be in on this if it becomes a group event. I am installing the Wallcott Setup with the 3' Firestik Firefly Ant. before I leave. Do I have to SWR it before I use it, or does the SWR tuning just make it better?
Cool. CB party :)

I am installing mine as well this weekend, but do not have an SWR meter. Can a couple of the "CB Vets" bring theirs to the Summit? THANK YOU in advance! :clap:
I have one. Don't know how to use it, but it's an extra for the mix whenever we all get together.

We are showing up on sunday and I would be happy to help install it, PM me if you still need the help
PM sent. Thanks :)

We can have a tuning party!

We will be bringing a couple of extra CBs too...in case anyone in our group runs are without.
Yep, yep. :clap:

Count me in!
I've installed my Midland, Bandi Mount & Firestick and don't have a SWR meter (or know how to use one for that matter).
I would gladly buy beer(s) for any help at the Summit on this.

I'm staying at the KOA.
Depending on where you're at in KOA, there may be a lot of room. Perhaps we could congregate there at some point for a CB party if you'd be open to it. ...?

Otherwise, there is a great, wide-open spot on my username (Ouray County Road 14a).

I got my coax run last night, but I now I have to run power and ground....
Cool. So, you'll have it down fairly well, and I can just benefit from your recent experience if it works out to get together for this on mine. :)

You can say that again.
:lol: (edited now)

And again. I think he is really happy to be in Ouray.
happy, indeed :) :) :)
ahhhh, Paradise

We will be there in two days !:rocker:
:rocker: getting the trails warmed up for ya......doing Imogene today.

Seth, I might be changing my mind and driving on Sunday. I don't know if I can manage a Monday morning 6 hour drive just to get to Ouray and prerun all day. I don't think my hands can take 15 hours on the steering wheel. Well on the highway, where I can take an occasional nap (just kidding) it is fine, but Ouray's cliffs aren't exactly friendly to those who zone out.
I'll try keeping my eye pointed here to figure out when folks are arriving.

·
The Pitcher Man
133 Posts
steven,

be safe and catch me up when you get back. hope everything works for ya. hint hint. sorry time ran out to get it installed. one item you will need is cable ties or zips. black tape works to. take it easy.. oh you already are.... darn this sucks.....

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'll pack my SWR with me too if anyone wants to do a bit of tuning . . . .

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
steven,

be safe and catch me up when you get back. hope everything works for ya. hint hint. sorry time ran out to get it installed. one item you will need is cable ties or zips. black tape works to. take it easy.. oh you already are.... darn this sucks.....
Thanks, bud.
I'm so bummed that you guys couldn't make it. Maybe next time.
Oh....we joined the flare parade in Ouray on the night of the Fourth this time, and used the new addition.....it was a hit!....thanks again on that one. :)
Hope to hang out soon after returning to the Front Range.

I'll pack my SWR with me too if anyone wants to do a bit of tuning . . . .
Cool.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Due to my maintenance issues trying to get my throw out bearing replaced, I only got my truck back this afternoon and am leaving tomorrow. I have had time to fully install my CB. I have the bandi mount on the antennae in place, the coax run under the truck to the cabin, but I still have to wire up the power and mount the everything in the cabin. Any chance that there will be time to do it?

21 - 40 of 54 Posts