Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Due to my maintenance issues trying to get my throw out bearing replaced, I only got my truck back this afternoon and am leaving tomorrow. I have had time to fully install my CB. I have the bandi mount on the antennae in place, the coax run under the truck to the cabin, but I still have to wire up the power and mount the everything in the cabin. Any chance that there will be time to do it?
Indeed.
When will you get to town?

p.s. TWEET! - going for a hike now. :)

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Indeed.
When will you get to town?

p.s. TWEET! - going for a hike now. :)
I should be in town on late Tuesday, early Wed. I hope to make Moab Monday night. Wheel there Tuesday, then head to the 4J Camp ground on the west side of town.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I got mine installed too.....1.5-1.8 is best I could get on 1, 40 and then 20... but my grinding wheel was too large to try and take more off the fire ring mount to see if that was it. Got it below 1.0 with rubber tip off...then put tip on and screwed it all up :)

I got it pretty much installed.....just did not get a good power source. Tried same one I used for driving lights but it only worked when I turned on lights :D :D so took apart and just ran a jumper over to fuse panel and stuck on 15amp fuse.

If someone has 10 minutes Wednesday night....I would appreciate help in helping get a good power line that is keyed preferably....much appreciated.

I am at the Chalet.....and my rig looks like this as of today. :) :)

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I think I read somewhere on this forum that people were having trouble with power/ground/meter? when they have a separate ground along with also having the mount grounded.

I'm not having trouble yet because I haven't even gotten to the install yet, but...
Does anyone here know anything about this?

p.s. looks like tlc will be helping me Sunday afternoon. I will also bring the SWR meter that I have to another CB gathering if everyone wants to try to get together after everyone's in town.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
We may have a hard time finding you. Alot of FJs look just like that.
easy or I will start with the C5 jokes....LOL retired from air force and flew quite a bit though enlisted...LOL

see you in Ouray....

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hurray! :ninja: I installed my CB and it turns on! I just have no idea if the antenna has a decent ground :cowfrown: so I am definitely in on the SWR/CB party if it happens on the 15th. If anyone is stopping in Durango, Old Lime Creek road is a fun little jaunt with some great views. I went on it today it's just off of 550 about 2 miles north of the ski area. (I'm in Durango til the morning of the 15th) :cheers:

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Mine is DONE!! :clap:
....thanks to tlc4dr and cashnuts.
Please see the UPDATE in my OP.

Again, I have loup407's SWR meter with me, and can bring it to the CB party.
I'll keep an eye on this thread.

If you want, I'll start listing usernames interested and when you can do this.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Doh!! :p
Today, while heading down to Silverton, we heard the DFW folks (who were headed North over Red Mountain Pass to Ouray) on the CB. I heard them first mention a Sandstorm parked on the side of the road (which was right in front of us as we were rolling down the mountain). Then I heard them noticing another Sandstorm on its way down the pass (that was us).

Then I heard someone (I think it was WILSON) ask if that guy standing by the Sandstorm (we pulled over to watch them go by) had a ponytail, and that it might be OCR14a from Colorado, etc.... So, I chimed in....

However, when I did, the only thing I heard in reply to what I said was something like, "I can't hear you".

So, I guess I still need some help with this thing.

Any ideas?

I will try to flag one of you guys down for a CB chat session.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Tim (T2Cruiser) helped me get this all figured out.
First I tested the trasmission with Jock (?), and he said it was very staticy.

Then I asked around to see if anyone would be willing to help, and Tim said it was probably not grounded enough.
He looked at it, and noticed a missing piece.....a plastic washer that is supposed to isolate the antenna from the vehicle.

I checked the 'left-over' parts from the install session, and sure enough, there it was (good thing I always keep the left-overs.....most of the time, they're just parts that were extra or unnecessary for the particular type of install or whatever, but this time, one of them was indeed needed).

So, Tim got out some tools, we took the antenna off and placed the plastic washer where it needs to be....we also re-positioned the grounding wire.

Then I did a radio check and someone from the Box Canyon Lodge responded that I was loud and clear.
So, we're all good now. :clap:

Thanks again to Josh, Leroy and Tim. :rocker:

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
As expected, it was very nice to have the CB for trail runs on this trip .....we also connected with some other FJs on our way home yesterday.

So, once again, thanks to Josh (Cashnutz73), Leroy (tlc4dr) and Tim (t2cruiser).

Josh/Leroy,
sorry we never got together for that beer. I'll have to make it up to you at some point.

I'll most likely be in TX around X-mas/NewYear time again this year, but no idea on a future CA run yet.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
...So, once again, thanks to Josh (Cashnutz73), Leroy (tlc4dr) and Tim (t2cruiser).

Josh/Leroy,
sorry we never got together for that beer. I'll have to make it up to you at some point.

I'll most likely be in TX around X-mas/NewYear time again this year, but no idea on a future CA run yet.
Hey guys (Josh/Leroy),
if you'll be at Summit this year, I want to buy you a pint at the Ourayle House or something.

You gonna be up/over here?

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Josh/Leroy,
Hey guys (Josh/Leroy),
if you'll be at Summit this year, I want to buy you a pint at the Ourayle House or something.

You gonna be up/over here?
Once again, another year has passed, and I'm still holding cash for beers for you guys. If you aren't allergic to guys that suck, I'm still looking forward to thanking you with a pint (or two if there's interest by now). :cheers:

Will you be at Summit this year?

41 - 54 of 54 Posts