Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so we just installed my friends CB in his 03 Tacoma, and I have to say it went really really well. So now it my turn, and Im guessing the FJ is going to be little more complicated. I want to install the CB in the headliner, Ive read up on the method that involves gluing the piece of 2x4 to the roof and Im going to do that, but will 18 ft of Coax cable be enough to run from the Boztec mount, through the cab and up to the headliner? Also as far as powering the CB in my friends taco we just plugged the power wire into an existing ACC fuse in the fuse box and grounded it to a bolt in the cab, but reading up here people seem to suggest going with an add a circuit? is there a specific one I should be looking for?

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
I want to install the CB in the headliner, Ive read up on the method that involves gluing the piece of 2x4 to the roof and Im going to do that, but will 18 ft of Coax cable be enough to run from the Boztec mount, through the cab and up to the headliner?
I ran mine this way and like it. The 2x4 method works great and 18ft of cable is plenty. I ran power out directly to the battery. This way no noise or engine wine (pics in my garage).

:cheers:

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I came up a few feet short with the 18ft cable so I had to add a disconnect behind the A Pillar. Fairly easy to do. You can use an Add-A-Circuit. I do that with about 90% of the ones that I install. The #1 thing is going to be grounding! When I do the 2x4 mount for overhead radios, I use two magnets on the 2x4 then add a thin layer of epoxy to the magnet face. It works like it's own clamp. I have beat these to death and never had a failure.
Looks like:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ran mine this way and like it. The 2x4 method works great and 18ft of cable is plenty. I ran power out directly to the battery. This way no noise or engine wine (pics in my garage).

That looks great...exactly what Im going for. When you say you ran it to the battery you mean you went through the firewall into the engine compartment? or went to the fuse box in the cab.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I came up a few feet short with the 18ft cable so I had to add a disconnect behind the A Pillar. Fairly easy to do. You can use an Add-A-Circuit. I do that with about 90% of the ones that I install. The #1 thing is going to be grounding! When I do the 2x4 mount for overhead radios, I use two magnets on the 2x4 then add a thin layer of epoxy to the magnet face. It works like it's own clamp. I have beat these to death and never had a failure.
Looks like:
I really dig the magnets on the 2x4 idea. where can I get some super strong magnets like those?

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
When you say you ran it to the battery you mean you went through the firewall into the engine compartment? or went to the fuse box in the cab.
Yes, out through the rubber boot on the drivers side firewall. You just need to break off one of the rubber knobs and fish it through. I ran the Ground out to the vehicles ground out by the battery. I also added a Bussmann ATM Fuseholder BP/HHM with a 10amp fuse to the Positive Wire before connecting it to the Battery terminal for extra protection.

Vegas_Nick is the man when it comes to this stuff. He is absolutely correct about grounding. I grounded the CB Chassis Mount as well. Do not forget that the BozTec Antenna Mount also needs a good ground.

I actually had a enough cable with 18'. However, mine runs primarily along the headliner before dropping down. Just keep it out of the way of the side airbags.

To note, there is nothing wrong with the Add-A-Circuit Method. I am just old school when it comes to wiring. Back in the day when you had spark plug wires, accel coils and dual-point distributors noise was a big deal. Todays vehicles are good to go.

Either way I copied most of my install from Vegas_Nick :lol:

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Yes, out through the rubber boot on the drivers side firewall. You just need to break off one of the rubber knobs and fish it through. I ran the Ground out to the vehicles ground out by the battery. I also added a Bussmann ATM Fuseholder BP/HHM with a 10amp fuse to the Positive Wire before connecting it to the Battery terminal for extra protection.

Vegas_Nick is the man when it comes to this stuff. He is absolutely correct about grounding. I grounded the CB Chassis Mount as well. Do not forget that the BozTec Antenna Mount also needs a good ground.

I actually had a enough cable with 18'. However, mine runs primarily along the headliner before dropping down. Just keep it out of the way of the side airbags.

To note, there is nothing wrong with the Add-A-Circuit Method. I am just old school when it comes to wiring. Back in the day when you had spark plug wires, accel coils and dual-point distributors noise was a big deal. Todays vehicles are good to go.

Either way I copied most of my install from Vegas_Nick :lol:

Thanks for the props! :rocker:

Yeah, I think why my cable ended up short is that I went along the kick panels, the door wiring and up the A Pillar. Had I gone up the back and along the headliner, it would have probably made it just fine. :thinkerg:

Even with the way I connected all of my equipment, I still get a little interference from the ABS motor when it kicks on. Otherwise it is quiet. No doubt on the days with points and coil ignition systems! What a nightmare!

Also, let me know if you need pics on getting the antenna coax into the truck. It is easy as can be.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
I just went from the mount in back, over the headliner all the way. Then it's plenty long enough, maybe quicker to mount too. Though kind of scary pulling down your headliner the first time.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
I know you need to remove some paint from the door hinge and mount. Has anyone had any problem with rust on the door hinge from paint removal?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have recently purchased an 07 Fj and wanting to install CB. I am looking at and Hand held unit with all controls in mike.... Could anyone give me some pointers on where to install the wiring, and running an antenna. thanks

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I have recently purchased an 07 Fj and wanting to install CB. I am looking at and Hand held unit with all controls in mike.... Could anyone give me some pointers on where to install the wiring, and running an antenna. thanks
Here is how to install the antenna/coax and mount.

How to install a Bandi Mount from Ex Cop Off Road

Mounting the CB is more personal preference. This is how I do 99% of the Cobra 75's that I install.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Where can I get the grommet to fish the cable through the rear door?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts