Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Oh that's good news! I'll give that a shot. Cheers

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

:rocker: Let us know how it works after your trail run!

I should also mention take the paint off both the top and bottom where the washers make contact with the mount. And the order of the washers is important. Here's the diagram I used:

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1450935895.683343.jpg

Dan

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I wish I had those pics from Nick when I installed mine, it would have made troubleshooting those high readings so much quicker. I found that my issue was not having a good enough ground on the mount or the hinge. I thought I cleaned them both off but there was obviously enough paint left that it still caused a problem. Once I had a good ground my SWR went from about 3.5 on both 1 and 40 down to 1.5 on both.

·
Registered
298 Posts

I should also mention take the paint off both the top and bottom where the washers make contact with the mount. And the order of the washers is important. Here's the diagram I used:

View attachment 629754

Dan
Thanks Dan! Yup, I've got the washers wrong for sure. I freaking love this forum.

Huge high five
Tarver

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts

View attachment 629754

Dan
thanks for the post was looking for this info also.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Thanks Dan! Yup, I've got the washers wrong for sure. I freaking love this forum.

Huge high five
Tarver

thanks for the post was looking for this info also.

Glad I could contribute a little. I've gained a TON of knowledge from this forum

·
Registered
298 Posts
Good to hear you have a few improvement options. You will get it figured out. I will warn you that CB is a gateway to Ham....Installing a new Yaesu 2m/440 this weekend.
That's not the first I've heard that. I've got a buddy in VA beach that can talk to people in Japan with his ham radio. Pretty wild stuff

·
Registered
832 Posts
That's not the first I've heard that. I've got a buddy in VA beach that can talk to people in Japan with his ham radio. Pretty wild stuff

You can on the CB too

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Not to jump in front of Nick here before he can answer, but I didn't take the paint off the mount at first. Used a Dremel and took some off - worked a lot better after. Helps with grounding (keeps the metal on metal). I had the same readings you posted up earlier on my Cobra this past weekend and it worked great.

Dan
No worries, Dan! I have been slow on getting on the forum during the holiday. Pushing tin in record numbers in the airline world the past week. Work-Sleep-Eat-Work....sucks but it helps pay for all the mods! :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Bringing up an old topic!

I have a cobra 75 with Bandi mount. and it works fine.
Just finished setting up a friends new setup and we were testing them out. and I can hear him from a lot further that he can here me. (Line of sight maybe a mile)
Now one thing from reading this old post, is everyone is saying Do not coil the coax!
I was told (And I want to say it was Vagas Nick) said to coil and twist (So its a figure 8) the extra.

Is that maybe my issue?

I have re-done all my grounds etc. So I know everything is good. and I dont have my swr readings on me, by they were good.

THOUGHTS?

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
What antenna are you running (length) ? and is your friends the same? Coiling coax can impact your SWR. I think the current recommendation is to make large loops with the excess coax and then cable tie the ends of the loops. Don't get crazy on tightening the cable ties, just enough to hold the ends...

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
What antenna are you running (length) ? and is your friends the same? Coiling coax can impact your SWR. I think the current recommendation is to make large loops with the excess coax and then cable tie the ends of the loops. Don't get crazy on tightening the cable ties, just enough to hold the ends...
4 foot Firestik. (not sure if its a Firestik or Firestik II, I will check in a bit)
And he runs the same antenna.. (Different Radio though)

He does also have his coax coiled into a figure 8 (from my recommendation)

My larger concern is less and 1 mile, and he cannot understand me at all. I am leading 2 trails at the summit this year, and would like to straighten this out before I leave.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
4 foot Firestik. (not sure if its a Firestik or Firestik II, I will check in a bit)

My larger concern is less and 1 mile, and he cannot understand me at all. I am leading 2 trails at the summit this year, and would like to straighten this out before I leave.
What radio are you running? It all depends really. A mile in some terrain is great, in flat land, not so good. It also depends on HIS radio. If he is running a 2ft antenna, all the power in the world you crank out won't help him.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
What radio are you running? It all depends really. A mile in some terrain is great, in flat land, not so good. It also depends on HIS radio. If he is running a 2ft antenna, all the power in the world you crank out won't help him.
I am running the cobra 75 wx st
Not positive on his radio. Full size Midland of some sort. with a 4 Foot Firestik as well.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have seen this problem on old radios. Don't laugh and don't get mad at me for this. Check the squelch. On some of the radios I have tuned for people they had the squelch turned all the way down. My rule of thumb is turn it up till you hear noise then back it down just a little. The next thing I would check is ground. Connect some jumper leads to the frame or bumper (something metal that is not the antenna base) then see if you have a good ground. Last the nylon washer lip might be too short for the mount and that will cause a bad ground. If you can post a pic of the CB face and antenna mount will help a lot. Good luck! Your serve Vegas Nick. 🤓

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
832 Posts

When a radio gets garbled up it is 80% of the time it is due to not see the correct impedance or load (50 ohms). Most amateur radios have an ALC circuit and one of it's jobs is to protect the radio from a mismatch. So it drops the output down to nothing if it has to. A CB will keep transmitting regardless of load. Either your center conductor is making and breaking from a crappy connection at the mount, spring, or quick connect. On loaded antennas like a firestik or something similar you can smack them on something and break the wire or the joint where it is soldered at the base. The DC ground side can also give you the same result. A lot of people here use a "mirror mount" or sometimes called a UHF to stud mount. Those need to have the coax side of the mount physically touching whatever it is mounted too. So the inside of your Bandi Mount needs to be bare steel where the mount touches. Then of course the insulating washer goes on top to keep the stud from touching anything. So you can loose your DC ground there or where your Bandi is mounted to the hinge. It doesn't need much but it does need to touch bare metal so it is conductive mount to hinge and body. The other place they'll loose it is if the coax gets pulled or crushed and you can get opens or shorts in your feedline. 10% of the time it is the radio because someone was inside of it and did something that they shouldn't have. The last reason is physical damage to the radio, broken boards, cold solders, bad mics.

Dielectric grease is perfectly fine to seal up a connection or contact. It is physically touching, zero resistance. You want to keep your RF where it is supposed to be that's why you want to seal your points with something non conductive and non corrosive around your physical contact. You do not want anything that breaks down with voltage either. Even a 4 watt radio on a high impedance system can generate some high RF voltages. Dielectric grease is what is used to seal ignition systems from stray voltage. You can use coax seal or some kind of non corrosive caulking, as long as it is pliable and the voltage doesn't kill it. Being exposed to the elements you should use something or you'll be cleaning it every so often.

If you touch or move or coil your coax and it changed your match then you have coax problems. It's probably radiating from the shield due to poor construction. You can have 5' or 500' of coax and it will not change or affect your antenna if the coax is good. It is apples and oranges, two separate things. It is a common CB myth. Your center conductor is shielded so all it sees is the shield. It doesn't know anything but 50 ohm impedance. That is the space from center to shield. You should not have or do not want RF on your shield. So you can ball it up, coil it up, play jump rope or whatever with your excess coax and if it's good you will see no change. Symptoms of RF on the shield is garbled audio, your mic may burn your lips, you might feel the mic get warm when you key, or RFI getting into the vehicle.

So be positive that your SWR is good and stays good. Maybe wiggle the antenna with a stick or something and make sure it doesn't move. You can do the same with your coax. Especially around the ends. It might look good sitting in the driveway but change as soon as it bounces down the road. If that's good swap in another radio and see if that doesn't straighten it up.

The taller the antenna then the better is will talk. The ideal spot is the center of the roof so it sees a good counterpoise or RF ground but not too many are ready to drill the roof. If the terrain is flat then you should be able to talk at least 15 miles. People brag about 2m and 70cm but most of that is through a repeater or system. Trees kill 440 and a CB doesn't even see them. A CB radio is perfectly capable for reliable talking. You'd be surprised what they can do.

Are you giving him a good signal with bad audio or low signal bad audio?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good evening, I hope this thread is still open for questions. I am totally stumped, I bought a bandi mount and the cobra 75wx installed the coax, radio, mount and antenna which came from the vendor as a package, the antenna is a fiberglass 3 ft antenna with out a brand name on it.
SWR was at 3 so I made sure all paint was removed from the mounting surface and the bandi mount is some type of in painted steel may be stainless, I added a # 10 ground wire and it is screwed to the body at the jack mount location and paint removed to give a good ground, my readings on my multi meter are .01 ohm from mount to the body inside the back jack area on a different bolt than my ground wire is.
swr is still 3
Long story short I tried a fire stick II 4 ft, a 102 stainless whip with a spring, grounded the cb body to a screw in the center console holding the e brake power is from a add a circuit black wire ground is short and to a metal self tapping screw with shale proof washer, switch to a new Wilson coax, same swr of 3
reread swr meter instructions to verify I am doing things correct and I am, bought a heavy duty mounting stud and have the isolator on the top, added a ground wire under the bottom side of the antenna stud mount and grounded it with no change.
I talked to a guy about 3 blocks away in flat open area in town, he said I sounded like I was not getting any modulation and must have a shorted antenna.

I drove to the closest cb shop which was about 2 hour trip, he told me I had a bad antenna but would not be able to come out and look at my install because it was Saturday, he sold me a new 18 ft coax and a new stryker cb telling me this was the cure, he did something to switch the cb to cb frequencies.

Everything is new, and I cannot get below a 3 nobody can hear me over about 3 blocks, say I have a shorted antenna.

I went to Walmart picked up a mag mount antenna and I can't get it tuned below 3

tonight I wired power directly to a separate battery and same thing, swr around 3
I can get the swr higher than 3 if I put tone of the fiber glass antennas on and I think that is because I have cut on them to get them to balance out and most likely have ruined them.

I have read everything of firesticks web page, and on this forum tried everything that I have read watched youtube, talked to a friend on the phone who is a HAM, and all of the advice was exactly as I have tried and read about on the internet.

My vehicle is a 2014 trail teams ultimate edition FJ cruiser, I read in the manual that I could cause interference with the electrical systems if I install a cb, perhaps something in the vehicle is giving me the intermod?

any ideas?
Oh I do have a atv aluminum tool box mounted to the rear of my roof rack but the 102 is miles above most of that.
I did make a mount with a ground wire and mounted the 102 and spring on the roof rack and still had 3 for swr

I called the company that sold me the kit and the cat who answered the phone said it was my selection of components, seemed of as he did not offer any better solution and it was on his website as the kit I needed for the cruiser.
Cobra said all of my steps seemed in order and could not think why this would not work.
any ideas?

sure appreciate any input before I just pull it all out
Thanks
Cliff

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,983 Posts
Good evening, I hope this thread is still open for questions. I am totally stumped, I bought a bandi mount and the cobra 75wx installed the coax....
Cliff
Did you tune your antenna ? Or just plugged everything in and took a reading ? Stop messing around and get a Firestick 4-5 feet no shorter, go to a empty field and tune it there( turning tip in or out ). I am sure one of the CB gurus like Nick will be able to help more. Try sending him a pm, VegasNick is his name.

That's one lllloooonnnngggggg antenna... ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
each antenna I have tried with the exception of the 102 inch whip I tuned to get the final of 3 swr on ch 1 and ch 40, I purchased a firestick 4 ft and to get my swr the same on 1 and 40 I removed the tuning screw and even had to shorten the antenna.
I keep reading every place that it is a ground issue, I downloaded a wiring diagram last night, it indicates multiple dedicated ground locations through the vehicle, one just happens to be in the rear, I think I will try to put my antenna ground to it.
Thanks for the help !

41 - 60 of 81 Posts