Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Have you checked with a multimeter on ohms between the center conductor and the shield (outer)? You should get an infinity reading.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
each antenna I have tried with the exception of the 102 inch whip I tuned to get the final of 3 swr on ch 1 and ch 40, I purchased a firestick 4 ft and to get my swr the same on 1 and 40 I removed the tuning screw and even had to shorten the antenna.
I keep reading every place that it is a ground issue, I downloaded a wiring diagram last night, it indicates multiple dedicated ground locations through the vehicle, one just happens to be in the rear, I think I will try to put my antenna ground to it.
Thanks for the help !
That is a weird one. The whip you are using would be the first hing I looked at.

You are saying the CB shop got the same SWR reading? And you got the same AFTER changing the coax? As stated with an SWR of three, I would start with assuring the coax isn't shorted. Disconnect from the radio and the antenna end and use a multimeter to check between the center conductor and the outer part of the connector. If you are using a Firestik or other stud mount, make sure the insulating washers are in the right place so that you do not accidentally short the center to the antenna mount. On this truck, a 4 watt radio, and the way the door hinges along with the internal bonding straps, it is very rare that a ground would be so bad to cause an SWR that high.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I OHMed out my coax from the radio and it is infinity, removed my mounting stud verified the isolator was in the correct location on the top of the mount, then replaced it with a brand new one just because, I then attempted to tune my firestick antenna with the swr meter but only was able to get the swr down to about 3:1
I removed that and put the 6 inch spring back on with the 102 inch whip. I wound up removing the spring and adding one flat copper washer under the mounting stud above the isolator to get a 2.25:swr on 40 and 1 channels.
I am not able to get below this so I am assuming this is the best I am going to get. My swr meter is a cheap box, I sold my byrd meter years back when the mobile phone business went all hand held and low power.
My radio is a stryker sr 89 motorcycle radio, the radio shop converted it for the CB channels, I noticed it has a FM and AM, I assume that I need to run on the AM.
The people I talked to on this radio said I was coming in right at the static line but they could understand me fine, he said some radios are like that.

Now that I have my antenna system working maybe some time I will switch back to the cobra as I like the weather radio option, but for now I am sick of messing around.

Maybe when I get a second wind I will go get a new firestick and start all over, and get a lot better tune on that antenna.
thanks again

·
Registered
832 Posts
It sounds like you are doing everything correctly. I'd look at your SWR meter or your procedure. Where are you located?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here is the resolution to my trouble, it has been a long time since I figured this out but I finally remembered to come back and make a comment on what fixed my trouble.

The roof rack is isolated from the vehicle with plastic and the rubber things the roof rack mounts into.

I took a piece or wire and attached it to the frame ground at my antenna mount and run it up to the bottom rail of the roof rack. I scraped the coating off the rack and used a hose clamp with some black heat shrink over it to make it blend in and not look ridiculous, then ran it up to the top rail and did the same thing to it.
I have a tool box mounted up top also so I bonded it to the top rail also.

SHAZAM! Flat 1:1 swr on my 102 whip on every channel.

SHAZAM!

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
...SHAZAM! Flat 1:1 swr on my 102 whip on every channel.

SHAZAM!
Jesus antenna!

Physics, being the b¡tch that she is, won't allow a 1:1 SWR on all channels with a fixed length antenna. We would expect the SWR to vary across frequencies. You should look into a new SWR meter, or take it to a shop and let them put an analyzer on it.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Bringing an old thread back to life....I've got CB issues that I need some help with.

I did a full detailing of the FJ after the rough winter we had. I removed the snap in door sills on the drivers side to make sure no salt got down there and I discovered that my CB antenna coax that I ran through the channel under the plastic sill 8 years ago had been damaged. Apparently the support lugs for the sill came down on top of the coax and over the years of getting in and out stepping on the sill I squashed the coax to the point that the cable was damaged. So, I bought a new Firering cable to replace what I had. The easy part was snaking the new coax in as I taped it to the old one and gently coaxed it through to the front of the truck. Except, this time I opened up the wire cable retainers built into the FJ and put the cable through there. No more damage from the sill.

While I was at it I took off my Bandi mount which was getting rusty, cleaned it up and repainted it. When I reinstalled it I made sure to scrape the paint off the underside where the firering ground connection is. I put everything together and hooked up the SWR meter. Crap....the lowest I could get was around 3. That's if I'm reading the meter correctly.
This is the meter that I have -

From the way I understand it I plug the antenna into the meter then the meter into the radio. Flip the switch to FWD and adjust the needle all the way to the right where it says "Set" while keying up, flip the switch from FWD to REF. No matter what I did I couldn't get it below the red zone. Which is the proper scale to read the SWR on? The second one down with the 1, 1.5 and 2 on it? I did make the mistake of using dielectric grease on the stud and the bottom of the mount. I went back and wiped it down to get rid of it. Do I need to do more, like hit it with alcohol or some other cleaner? My antenna is a 4' Wilson with an adjustable tip. Could the antenna be FUBAR? I did check continuity and everything that was supposed to connect did and the parts that were not supposed to have continuity did not. I even checked the bottom of the Bandi mount to the frame of the truck and I had continuity. I tried adjusting the antenna out, I tried adjusting the antenna in, nothing made any real difference on any channel. No matter what I did the needle always stayed in the red zone when I switched it to REF from FWD.

What do I do next? Besides making sure I get every speck of dielectric grease off the mount.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Bringing an old thread back to life....I've got CB issues that I need some help with.

I did a full detailing of the FJ after the rough winter we had. ......

Your target are the upper numbers on the first scale 0,1, 1.5, 2 right over the SWR lettering. the lower the better.

Retry all your connections, did you put all the pieces back on the antenna mount ? The little plastic washer between the antenna mount and the Bandi mount ? I got the same thing this spring when i changed my mount, undid everything, remounted and all was good.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Your target are the upper numbers on the first scale 0,1, 1.5, 2 right over the SWR lettering. the lower the better.

Retry all your connections, did you put all the pieces back on the antenna mount ? The little plastic washer between the antenna mount and the Bandi mount ? I got the same thing this spring when i changed my mount, undid everything, remounted and all was good.

Yup, I've taken it apart and put it back together about four times...still the same thing. I'm going to make sure all the connections on the mount and antenna are super clean - meaning NO dielectric grease in sight. I'm beginning to wonder if the antenna is shot. It's an 8 year old Wilson. When I park the FJ in the garage I bend the antenna over and slip it under the top rail of the roof rack so I don't hit the garage door. Maybe it finally gave up the ghost from all the bending. The good news is the new antenna coax I just got came with all new mounting hardware including a heavy duty spring. I added the spring on top of the mount to give the antenna more flex.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Where are you taking your readings? Out in the middle of nowhere, or inside your garage or near power lines or buildings? Are you replacing the rubber cap on top of your antenna every time you take a reading?

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Where are you taking your readings? Out in the middle of nowhere, or inside your garage or near power lines or buildings? Are you replacing the rubber cap on top of your antenna every time you take a reading?
A couple hundred feet down the driveway from my house. No other houses or power lines around. I replace the rubber cap every time I adjust the antenna tip.

·
Registered
345 Posts
This is usually a sign of high resistance somewhere, like a poor ground or poor soldering (if your connector required to be soldered to the coax). Is your coax cable bent anywhere? Could be a crack inside the cable, or just a crappy section of coax, or like you said, the antenna could be old and toast.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
I would say try another antenna, new cable ( you already have that ) get a ground cable and try to ground the connection to the body directly, check your cable and connection to the CB ( small cable that goes to SWR meter to CB ) .

I had that once and it was the antenna , i had gotten a fancy "High powered " hand made antenna, and the wiring was bad inside. Couldn't get SWR below 2.5-3, put my old Firestick, and i got 0.5-1...

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Thanks all. I'm not the world's best solderer (is that a word?) but it wasn't too difficult soldering on the connector. I did check the entire setup for continuity as described in the coax instructions and everything was up to snuff. I may try a new antenna - Firestik instead of Wilson.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
What type/brand of coax did you use originally? I’ll bet dollars to doughnuts it’s the FIRERING coax!

Just a hunch!

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
@Teikas Dad did you solve your problem ? What was the solution if you did.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts