Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a Cobra 19 DX IV CB that's just sitting around and thought it's time to get her up. I'm wondering what parts I will need. So I have the CB and waiting on delivery of a bandi mount. Hope some one can direct me to the right antenna, cable and whatever else I need. Also where can I store/mount it? I don't want it to be obvious and permanent. Just hook back up when I need it :bigthumb:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Depending on how you want to route the coax cable, you will need about 18 ft of it. Here is a coax assembly that would work well.
K-8R18/K-8R9 CABLE
You will need to install the PL-259 connector to the end of the coax when you are done routing it.
It is pretty simple if you have basic soldering skills.

Most people seem to go with the 3' or 4' Firestik antennas.
I found a very similar US-made 4' fiberglass antenna that Radio Shack sells that was priced comparably to the Firestik brand.
Adjustable 48" Fiberglass Whip Element for CB Antenna - RadioShack.com
I installed mine last week and it was no problem. You will need an SWR meter to tune the antenna once you get it all mounted.
Mine tuned to below 1.5 to 1 or lower, across all 40 channels.

Use the masking tape as directed in the instructions for the Bandi mount and you wont scratch anything up.
The nut on the mount can be a little tricky to get started, but once it is on, work slowly with an open-end wrench and tighten the nut down.

This should get you started....

KyFJGuy

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Joey, I don't know if you've got your mind set on the permanent antenna mount. I'm running Wilson's Little Wil (mag mount) and it's super easy to put it up and take it down. Really no more then 15 seconds each way. I can still park in my garage. My radio is mounted on the headliner but with the 2 knurl knobs, which I can remove the radio in about 30 seconds. All that is exposed is the mounting bracket on the headliner after the radio is removed.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Joey, I don't know if you've got your mind set on the permanent antenna mount. I'm running Wilson's Little Wil (mag mount) and it's super easy to put it up and take it down. Really no more then 15 seconds each way. I can still park in my garage. My radio is mounted on the headliner but with the 2 knurl knobs, which I can remove the radio in about 30 seconds. All that is exposed is the mounting bracket on the headliner after the radio is removed.
Oops sorry I meant mounting the cb itself permanently, I dint want the wife to be like WTF is that? (yea we share the rig so...) lol. I'm trying to keep the CB/mounting bracket as concealed as possible.

Oh I'm thinking also a quick release antenna. How much should these parts/set up run me?
Thanks for the info guys

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Obviously it depends on where you buy them. I shopped around some and instead of going with the big websites dedicated to CB's, I found a smaller one with much better pricing-- Blamoshop.com - Truck Accessories - Featured Products
I'm doing a very different install than yourself, but my antenna, connectors, coax, spring and mounting post (mostly all Firestik brand) came to around $40 shipped. They had great communication and fast and cheap shipping.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Joey, here is the one that I just finished:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...-radio-installation-complete.html#post1830143

I like the Bandi with the Firestick and Quick Disconnect. The mag mounts are great, but my experience has been that you eventually end up scratching the paint with them. (not saying that fjamming's idea is bad by any means) On the other side of that, the QD is an easy steal for those so inclined. :lol:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Oops sorry I meant mounting the cb itself permanently, I dint want the wife to be like WTF is that? (yea we share the rig so...) lol. I'm trying to keep the CB/mounting bracket as concealed as possible.

Oh I'm thinking also a quick release antenna. How much should these parts/set up run me?
Thanks for the info guys
You can get a pic of my radio setup in my build up thread. I suppose if you want to do it even more stealthy, you can change out the 2 screws that connects the mount to roof with something like knurl knobs? The Little Wil was about $35 and it comes with enough coax. The Add-A-Fuse is around $12 I think.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a lot guys, this really is what I was looking for. Thanks for the links, help, advise and replies

1 - 9 of 9 Posts